Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 08:28 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
It could be a historical NPE, or it could be recent, like her father isn't who she thinks he is, or she might have attached the wrong tree to her account. I've seen adoptees who attach the tree for their adoptive parents, and also people who by mistake attach the tree of their spouse (like my 2nd cousin, who I pointed this out to over a year ago, but she never changed it probably because she didn't appreciate the suggestion she had made a mistake).
I just tested at Ancestry.com. My closest match is a first cousin who has the wrong tree attached to his profile. The tree is for my uncle who is related by marriage only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 11:42 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I just tested at Ancestry.com. My closest match is a first cousin who has the wrong tree attached to his profile. The tree is for my uncle who is related by marriage only.
Is your uncle by marriage the father of the said 1st cousin? If so, not exactly the "wrong" tree, just sounds like your cousin did separate paternal and maternal trees and currently has his paternal tree attached to his DNA. Lots of people do this, although it's generally not advised for DNA purposes.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Is your uncle by marriage the father of the said 1st cousin? If so, not exactly the "wrong" tree, just sounds like your cousin did separate paternal and maternal trees and currently has his paternal tree attached to his DNA. Lots of people do this, although it's generally not advised for DNA purposes.
It's the tree for his father. None of us related through his mother are related by blood to that branch of his tree. It is posted in DNA matches. He should include both his maternal and paternal branches.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:10 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
I'd want to know too so would love a message.

I believe there is an NPE in regards to the father of one of my 2nd great grandfathers. I don't have any DNA connections at all to anyone of that surname line. I wish someone would tell me who they think it is lol. I'm investigating a few leads but they lived in an endogamous community and it is hard to sort out.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:34 PM

671 posts, read 503,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'd want to know too so would love a message.

I believe there is an NPE in regards to the father of one of my 2nd great grandfathers. I don't have any DNA connections at all to anyone of that surname line. I wish someone would tell me who they think it is lol. I'm investigating a few leads but they lived in an endogamous community and it is hard to sort out.
Is this on your Mom or Dad side? Have the oldest relative alive take a test for you or have a 1st (or even a 2nd Cousin) take the test for you. tHat would pretty much confirm it.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Well, I wouldn't, but I enjoy the research and would rather "lop off" the errant branch on my own rather than get an email that tells me to do so. Its not my place to be a housekeeper on other people's trees so I don't offer tree advice unless specifically asked.
What if you never find the errant branch? What if it gets grafted onto other family trees?

Old 09-15-2019, 09:33 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Yes, I also considered the possibility of an unknown adoption. I'll probably never know for sure unless she responds and already knows something, or wants to dig into it more. I just sent her a vague message saying she matches people from my Norwegian branch and I was hoping to figure out how we are related. I have a feeling I won't get a response.
I'd bet on an unknown adoption.

Plus, depending on the time period, it could be an informal adoption.

I noticed something that looked a bit off with the parentage of my maternal grandmother's paternal grandmother. My grandmother was still alive, so I asked. She had been close with her grandmother. One day her grandmother told her that her mother had a first husband who no one in the family knew about. She was his daughter. She had no memory of him, but when her mother remarried, as part of the wedding, the 2nd husband took her mother as his wife and took her as his daughter. She told my grandmother that he had always treated her the same as the children of the marriage, so she never told her children and this would be their secret.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:50 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Well, since I sent her a message she has come back to add a profile pic of herself, yet no response so I guess she's ignoring me. Oh well.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:16 AM

5,029 posts, read 7,412,572 times
In solving an adoption case this weekend, I discovered a close (1st-cousin level) match to the adoptee who must have an NPE, his tree shows grandparents all in So. California, while the adoptee's ancestors were all from Florida and Georgia. The match also matches all the adoptee's close relatives from a certain line in FL. The adoptee's likely bio father had a brother who served in the Marines in SoCal at the time the match's mother was born. So most likely he is the match's grandfather, but we are not going to suggest anything like that to him. That's for him to figure out if he wants to, since he must notice a lot of close matches with a certain surname and location that don't fit with his tree.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:14 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
I would want to know, but I'm open-minded: I'm older and understand lots of informal arrangements were made regarding babies.

That's part of the reason I've waited as long as I have to post about the search for my half-sister: there's the chance that she knows nothing about her past. I have zero desire to rock her world! And I would certainly tread with caution with any other NPEs on my tree. Not everyone is ready for the information.

On the other hand, I'm hopeful that she turns up on one of the DNA sites because she's looking for me and/or "family members." That would be great! The same with others. If they are approaching searches with an open mind, it makes emailing much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy