Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 09:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
We've all seen someone who looks very much like our-self. Sometimes almost twin-like. If someone looks like you that is not related to you, how is that? There must be some very distant past connection?
They come from the same gene pool...Irish, Spanish, Indian or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 04:33 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
A bit off topic but for humor. My wife went to Tulane and her identical twin sister went to Boston University. One of her sister's friends transferred to Tulane and was very upset when she saw her "friend", who wouldn't talk to her. Of course she was seeing my (now) wife, not her friend.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:16 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
I don't know about people looking like me, but not being related to me, I'm sure there are some out there, since it's a big world you know!

I will say that, having been all over the world, all seven continents, 35 or so countries, all over the US, having lived in 5 states, HI, PA, AZ, NC and SC, I have what I would call maybe 15-20 "looks/categories" for Caucasian males and females that I have seen. Now these people are not identical but have similar facial features and looks, and since I'm seeing them all over the world/US, I would say that they aren't related, at least not closely.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:25 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
One of my colleagues has an adopted son that looks like him. And they are quite definitely not related.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:54 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
One of my colleagues has an adopted son that looks like him. And they are quite definitely not related.
Sounds like a show on TLC last week, taken at birth. The adopted daughter looks exactly like her adopted father; everyone's in shock that his DNA wasn't a match. She had him exhumed. His father was doing illegal adoptions. She did it to give herself and others answers on if they were related to her grandfather. She also said her father cheated on her mother so she really wasn't sure.

Thread //www.city-data.com/forum/tv/30...tober-9-a.html if anyone is interested

Old 10-14-2019, 10:15 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
People are fascinated by visually similar people.
My career was a portrait photographer specializing in 3 and 4 generation family groups which were both challenging and interesting (multiple infants and small kids yikes).

When we had our large size photographs on display at a mall I would hear and see people pointing between people in the photo pointing out facial resemblances, they would stand there for 15 minutes discussing them, not knowing the people because we had customers who came from all over the US.

Large families were really enjoyable to work for (if kids weren't cranky) because they generally got along with one another, were in good moods and the grandmother was thrilled to have everybody together in one place looking nice.

Last edited by twinkletwinkle22; 10-14-2019 at 11:07 AM..

Old 10-14-2019, 10:44 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
I have encountered two identical twins to me in the world (actually, 3). The first was an ELI student from Venezuela living in my dorm in college and another (ashamed to admit) featured in a film on P'Hub.

Totally identical - you couldn't tell them from me. Friends I knew for years would go up to (Carlos, I think his name was) and talk to him thinking it was me. His Spanish speaking friends would do the same to me. Patty and Cathy Duke had nothing on us! We even had nearly identical café au lait spots on our left shoulder. Talk about freaked out!

And I also have an identical cousin. In old pics before 1960 or so, except for the clothing (he is 10 years older than me) you cannot tell us apart.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:07 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I remember this girl that lived on an estate in California. She went away to camp and some girl from London looked just like her. They hated the attention that looking alike brought. I heard that they ended up getting into it most of the time that they were at camp. By the time camp was done they were good friends. Almost like sisters.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:35 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
One of my ancestors on my mom's side, discovered the Arkansas diamond crater on his farm. He eventually sold the farm for a nice chunk of money, and he and his family became somewhat well off. There's a picture of him and his family out on the internet, and one of his daughter's looks JUST like my mother's brother's first born daughter. And I mean JUST LIKE except for the style of hair and dress.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:38 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
I've been told more than once, that I have a doppleganger around town, but I've never seen her. When I was younger, I used to be told quite often, that I looked like a particular celebrity. Actually, about 3 years ago, a cashier at our local drug store asked me if anyone had ever said I looked like that celebrity. "Yes...fairly often. LOL"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy