Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 04:27 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

I haven't really thought about it except my maiden hyphenated married name, full DOB and DOD. I like the recipe. For me it would be my spare ribs which no one has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
1. I have the deed to the parental grave, and I have contacted a local company for an estimate for removing my name from their stone completely.

2. I have several trees on Ancestry, and others have the password, the date of my death should end up there with no problem. More available there than in that small town cemetery as it has only a few graves photographed and logged.

3. I emigrated to Europe, no one is going to be notifying any local American authorities, only the embassy...presuming I still have a U.S. citizenship at the time of death. It may be to my advantage not to, and I have an appointment with my lawyer to discuss this.

4. I have Irish contacts who will take the ashes there, a two-hour plane ride, and scatter them on the beach, this is perhaps my most favorite place and time in my life. Ireland is very much like the U.S. - permissions are required, and they are universally ignored.
Why remove your name? Why not just have the DOD filled in to make your parents happy? You can have some one spread a small amount of ashes there for your mom.

I had Canadian friends in the 80's that at some point were American citizens. I had found them on the social security death index even though they went back to Canada to retire. I assume it would be similar for you if you hold dual citizenship.

I did a family search tree for my friends, also made them find a grave memorials. My dad has one too even though he was cremated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 04:54 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Speaking of graves-- Last Memorial Day, I went to the cemetery to visit the folks graves. As I stood there meditating, I became distracted by a great wailing and sobbing coming from an old guy kneeling on a grave about 20 yds down, rocking back & forth, crying and pulling at his clothes & hair, obviously grieving terribly, repeating over & over between sobs, "Why did you die?..Why did you die?"....I walked down to comfort the poor man. "This must be someone you cared for deeply. Is it your wife's grave?"....He looked up remorsefully at me and growled, holding back tears and somewhat angrily-- "No...My wife's first husband's."

Old 10-16-2019, 05:06 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I am being cremated, but a friend of mine has a tattoo that would be something very inspirational on a headstone.

It reads: LIVE THE DASH The dash between the date of your birth and your death on a headstone.

You only live once, so LIVE those years well. Enjoy your life. Be good and be kind.

We live near a cemetery and it is so sad seeing small headstones reading "God's Little Angel" or something similar for a baby or a child. They never got the chance to LIVE their lives to the fullest.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:11 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Organ donor and then cremation for me!

Old 10-16-2019, 07:02 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
I don't care. Surprise me.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:38 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
No headstone - cremation here. If I could afford it I would get a large niche and put the ashes of all my dead family members in one.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:23 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I lived out of town, but when the stone was put on my father's grave sometime later I visited with my mother. My father's name and dates were on it, and my mother's name and birth date....and though I was only 29 and lived my life hundreds of miles away, she had put on my name and birth date. As if I would have no other route in life than to end up under the sod with them!

Totally typical of my mother. My mother's idea of love was possession and control and this was the ultimate wrap-up.

I have arranged to be cremated and my remains will be scattered on a beach in Ireland.
Same with my MIL! Room for all seven sons and their wives.

One the one hand it was nice to know a plot had already been purchased. On the other, I'll be darned if I spend eternity with the Dynasty.

If I have a marker at all I think a natural piece of MN jasper would be fine. A natural burial would be better yet.

As a lark perhaps the marker would say:

Been there;
Done that.
What's next?

Old 10-16-2019, 08:27 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No, they don't have to hire a company but I'm just saying. I keep hearing it advertised and they will probably give you a beautiful ceremony at sea and it will be emotional and inspiring. Some people want their ashes dropped into the sea from a plane. Others might just go out in a boat and scatter them on their own.
Check first which direction the wind is coming from. My BIL's family in San Diego got a surprise.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:10 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Only one life, will soon be past,
Only what is done for Christ will Last.

God loves and cares about you,
but not more than those that care about Him.
He does not compromise their trust.
Those who refuse His influence there is a place reserved for all of them,
to share eternity without Him.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I am leaving my family two options.

1. I am to be taxidermied in a sitting position with an arm and one finger (of theri choice) raised. Each of hte 5 children must keep me on their couch for 9 weeks of theyear in order to reviece money from the trust fund.

Or

2. throw me into river so archaeologists can find me in 2000 years and wonder who I was.

When I saw the dead cat that was turned into a quadricopter, I considered make a third option, but I do not think our technology can make that practical yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy