Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 05:48 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times

Advertisements

My Southern Italian(Salerno) went from 40% to 39%. Lost 1% Sardinia.

What did change a lot was my Irish and British. Irish (Munster Province) went from 27% to 37%. British from 23% to 13%. I now got 7% Germanic Europe. Totally lost my 4% Turkish. Greece went from 5% to 4%.

The change in British to German was a big surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 10:22 AM

210 posts, read 156,556 times
Some of my changes make sense to me, and some don't.

Previously:
Germanic Europe 37%
England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 36%
Sweden 13%
Eastern Europe & Russia 5%
Baltics 3%
Ireland & Scotland 3%
Norway 3%

Now:

Germanic Europe 61%
England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 27%
Ireland & Scotland 5%
Sweden 3%
Norway 3%
Baltics 1%

Already knew my heritage was mostly German, by far. From the original estimates, I knew that the Eastern Europe, Russian and Baltics came from my Grandmother, whose family were ethnic Germans who lived in Ukraine. With research, I concluded the Swedish was from the German ancestors from Pomerania and West Prussia in regions that were Swedish posessions for a couple centuries.

Mostly I'm disappointed because they don't have me on any specific groups within the regions. At all. Under Germanic Europe, I should be under Germans from Russia. Under Ireland and Scotland, I should be under Northern Ireland and Southwestern Scotland. I was suprised that it shows no Eastern Europe or Russia at all now.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:26 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I just saw my update. My updates always have me solidly pegged at 30% Munster Irish, Kerry, west/north Cork, and Dingle penninsula. That never changes and the percentage is about right (thanks grandma). They keep fiddling with Norway, Sweden, and Denmark each time with a very small percentage. There's none in my family tree to speak of, not recently anyway. It could be reporting Baltic Scandinavian instead. They give me Baltic (Lithuania and Latvia) which is almost right. I'm Pomeranian (Baltic German/North Slavic/Kashub/Old Prussian) which probably looks like Lithuania/Latvia after WW2 ethnic displacement (there's probably very few left like me in Poland's Pomorskie to test today). They probably focus on "German", my biggest share at 41%, and toss some Pomeranian genes into that pot, which is not wrong, just not precise. I have some ancestry from Bavaria, Hesse, and Hanover, and very long ago East Frisia so they are correct with German. I now have dropped to 5% Eastern Europe, which includes Baltic Poland (Pomerania) and Ukraine. I have a Ukrainian great grandfather. He might also account for a tiny amount of European Jewish and even some of that Baltic ancestry. My England/Wales keeps diminishing, down to 2% now, which seems small but my English ancestors were in the 1600s. My Irish and Germans were 1800s. The update seems reasonably accurate and might be increasingly reporting more recent ancestry than were earlier updates. That makes some sense if more people are testing where they live now.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:56 PM

210 posts, read 156,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The update seems reasonably accurate and might be increasingly reporting more recent ancestry than were earlier updates. That makes some sense if more people are testing where they live now.
This makes sense to me (reporting where your similar DNA resides now) and explains my changes but it's a shame to lose the snapshot of where it originally came from.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:04 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Over the weekend I got an updated search option. It allows several different filters which is fabulous. So you can check off unseen matches, linked/unlinked/private/public trees, last names in trees, number of shared cMs, etc.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:40 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
All of my profiles updated over the past few days.

Still is just as vague as it was before. My S. Asian DNA thought went to "Southern and Eastern India" which is interesting.

Large swaths of Africa were still there just named different.

Been having a lot of discussions in our African American forums about it as some people do think it is "more precise" while others stated they just gave us all back our "Nigerian" that they took with the updates in 2018. I agree with the Nigerian stuff but still feel that at this juncture AncestryDNA could do better on African ethnicity.

There are dozens of ethnic groups in Nigeria so just saying "Nigeria" really doesn't mean anything. I have DNA cousins who are from Nigeria (and one from Ghana) and most of my Nigerian matches are Igbo. One is Efik and one is Urhobo.

I'd think that they could better refine at least the Igbo and Urhobo since those are pretty large ethnic groups in Nigeria (also Yoruba people). Which could provide some geographical roots for people of African descent similar to what they can do in certain parts of Europe and even here in America with the "genetic communities." There actually are African DNA projects that use AncestryDNA tests.

So it was blase for me. Even my genetic communities didn't change and I still only have "Early Virginia African Americans" which is related to my deep ancestry but it is disappointing that I don't have any other communities that my close relatives have.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:12 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,319,696 times
I got mine yesterday. Mine now shows Greek & the Balkans.
Attached Thumbnails
Ancestry DNA Updated today?-ancestrydnastory-daniel-181119-2.png  

Old 11-20-2019, 07:06 AM

237 posts, read 124,650 times
57% English, 32% German, 5% Swedish, 3% Norwegian (Sunnhordland specifically), 3% Irish/Scottish

23andMe has me at 41.6% German, 18.3% British/Irish, 8.1% Scandinavian

The percentages jump around a lot between English and German, but most of this more or less fits my paper trail of my dad being primarily English with one Swedish ancestor in the mid 1800s and my mom being primarily German with one Norwegian ancestor in the late 1800s.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:34 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
It looks like Ancestry has also updated their matches. Mine have become more inaccurate. They were previously correct. Each ethnicity update is probably more inaccurate than the previous one.

Old 11-28-2019, 02:09 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It looks like Ancestry has also updated their matches. Mine have become more inaccurate. They were previously correct. Each ethnicity update is probably more inaccurate than the previous one.
Looked at mine again today. They've updated it for about the third time. This latest results matches my family tree pretty closely. The most accurate so far. Gone is the Scandinavian and Iberian. Just Welsh, Scott, Irish, and some German. The German includes the one line we can trace back to Switzerland. The percentages aren't quite right, but within the stated "margin of error".

England, Wales, & Northwestern Europe = 63%
Ireland & Scotland = 32%
Germanic Europe = 5%

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy