Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 04:51 PM

79 posts, read 53,879 times

Advertisements

In my case, I have one maternal Scot ancestor (Mc Cullough) whose family lived in N. Ireland for 200 years which shows why I have a percentage of Scottish heritage, but I have been puzzled by "how much"? I have finally figured out that maybe my paternal Irish side(grandparents born in Monaghan, Ireland-can only go back 2 more generations) might not have been full Irish themselves (!) Monaghan is close to Northern Ireland, where many descendants of Scotland live/lived (just like in my aforementioned maternal side).

It all gets bewilderedly funny after awhile. Did the McCulloughs call themselves "Irish" because they were citizens of Ireland (at a time before the country was split)? And did that one Scottish person who married an Irish person, call him/herself a Scot, but their children were "Irish"?

Ancestry
Ireland & Scotland 68% [as you can see this doesn't help...where is the specific breakdown?]
Primarily located in: Ireland, Isle of Man, Northern Ireland, Scotland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 05:35 PM

79 posts, read 53,879 times
Living DNA (a British DNA service I chose after I used Ancestry)

Where the hell did my Irish Grandparents and their ascendants go? I am bringing this up, only because I can see the confusion regarding African American info, et al. Is this only showing my mother's side? ???? By the way that Lincolnshire portion comes from a great great grandfather. Would that translate into being 14%?

98% Britain and Ireland

Northwest Scotland

34.2%

Lincolnshire

14.2%

Southeast England

11.5%

East Anglia

10.6%

Aberdeenshire

9.5%

Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland

6.1%

Cornwall

5.2%

Central England

3.5%

Cumbria

2%

Northumbria

1.9%
Europe (South)
1.2%

Iberian Peninsula

1.2%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy