Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 08:47 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times

Advertisements

I've gotten two calls within the last few months asking me to renew my membership at MyHeritage that ends in January. The first time the guy was talking about "a great rate! You'll pay more in January! You need this because you have such a large tree!"

Look, I get it, I have 10k people in my tree but I'm not renewing six months in advance. Anyone else getting these calls? As I'm thinking more (and as a former telemarketer for about six months) I'm wondering if they're just going through their lists for the end of the quarter. Whatever the reason, I had no idea MyHeritage could be so obnoxious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 04:48 AM

23,864 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I've gotten two calls within the last few months asking me to renew my membership at MyHeritage that ends in January. The first time the guy was talking about "a great rate! You'll pay more in January! You need this because you have such a large tree!"

Look, I get it, I have 10k people in my tree but I'm not renewing six months in advance. Anyone else getting these calls? As I'm thinking more (and as a former telemarketer for about six months) I'm wondering if they're just going through their lists for the end of the quarter. Whatever the reason, I had no idea MyHeritage could be so obnoxious.
The only time they email or call is after I look at plan prices. I don't pick up the cell. They (phone) say they can give the best rates

Old 10-31-2019, 08:13 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,015,992 times
I'm not a member, however I've received several emails from FTDNA offering me a "special deal" from MyHeritage, their "trusted partner". Since I distrust FTDNA, I'm hesitant to even consider the offer. It was $149 / year, complete package ,permanently locked in price.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:27 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
They've never called me, but I've never subscribed there so they don't have my credit card and may not even have my phone number.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:42 AM

The only reason I subscribed was that I hit their "free" limit of individuals with my tree. It also has error detection things to check birthdates (especially for those realllyyyy old people who may have wrong info from mt early days of clicking because there was a hint) and a duplicate/merge option.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:55 PM

127 posts, read 160,539 times
I did not get a call; however, I have fraud protection due to pass identity thief issue and I was alerted to strange activity from the fraud company with MyHeritage e-mail and password on Monday. I went promptly into it and changed the password.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman07738 View Post
I did not get a call; however, I have fraud protection due to pass identity thief issue and I was alerted to strange activity from the fraud company with MyHeritage e-mail and password on Monday. I went promptly into it and changed the password.
They were caught as a Spam risk call when they called but when googling the number it comes up on their website. I alos have fraud protection. I'll have to keep an eye on that activity.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:46 AM

7,679 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
The only reason I subscribed was that I hit their "free" limit of individuals with my tree. It also has error detection things to check birthdates (especially for those realllyyyy old people who may have wrong info from mt early days of clicking because there was a hint) and a duplicate/merge option.
I’ve always been curious: If you do not renew your subscription, what happens to the additional individuals you have added to your tree that are over the free limit? Does My Heritage delete them?

Old 11-01-2019, 11:56 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I’ve always been curious: If you do not renew your subscription, what happens to the additional individuals you have added to your tree that are over the free limit? Does My Heritage delete them?
No, they stay there and as far as I can tell, they are still accessible. They just constantly pester you to subscribe. I have a perpetual alert at the top of the page when I log in saying "Your 2 family trees have a total of 890 people. This exceeds the Basic subscription plan of your family site. Upgrade subscription plan" I've been there for years without a subscription and nothing has ever happened to my tree for not subscribing, so I really don't know what the purpose of the "limit" is. Maybe they prevent you from adding more? I've never tried because I just upload a gedcom, my working tree is not hosted there.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:14 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
No, they stay there and as far as I can tell, they are still accessible. They just constantly pester you to subscribe. I have a perpetual alert at the top of the page when I log in saying "Your 2 family trees have a total of 890 people. This exceeds the Basic subscription plan of your family site. Upgrade subscription plan" I've been there for years without a subscription and nothing has ever happened to my tree for not subscribing, so I really don't know what the purpose of the "limit" is. Maybe they prevent you from adding more? I've never tried because I just upload a gedcom, my working tree is not hosted there.
Thanks, I tried to rep but couldn’t. I registered there about 6 years ago and entered my direct ancestral lines only to remain under the 50(?) individuals limit. My goal was to see if anyone had broken any of my ancestral brick walls, in the 1500s, 1600s and 1700s. So far no one has (they have just copied existing profiles from FamilySearch or the info in my tree).

I can’t recall ever receiving a promotional email from the company.

Edited to add: Every so often I do receive an email to say they have found new matches to individuals in other trees there.

Last edited by cdnirene; 11-01-2019 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy