Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2019, 09:57 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times

Advertisements

i use to get matches every once in a while from FTDNA and ancestry. It been a couple years since any match, I guess once they get your money, no more for you

i did a fake id on one to double check my numbers, I kept think they was pulling from the trees. got a couple posted of matches on the fake and it stop too. its only a 64 marker so i figure since it didnt get upgraded to big y, they cut it off too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 11:06 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i use to get matches every once in a while from FTDNA and ancestry. It been a couple years since any match, I guess once they get your money, no more for you
Nope, I still regularly get new matches from both companies. FTDNA is smaller so I get them less frequently there though. If your ancestry is relatively recent immigrants, you'll generally have fewer new matches less frequently because most of the testers are US based.

Quote:
i did a fake id on one to double check my numbers, I kept think they was pulling from the trees. got a couple posted of matches on the fake and it stop too. its only a 64 marker so i figure since it didnt get upgraded to big y, they cut it off too.
If you're talking about Y or mtDNA then yes, those new matches come in even less frequently than autosomal DNA matches, since they are more expensive tests and fewer people take them. But Y and mtDNA isn't available at AncestryDNA, only FTDNA, so I assumed you were talking about autosomal. With Y and mtDNA, you'll often be lucky to get 1 or 2 new matches per year. That doesn't mean they cut you off once they get your money.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:36 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Nope, I still regularly get new matches from both companies. FTDNA is smaller so I get them less frequently there though. If your ancestry is relatively recent immigrants, you'll generally have fewer new matches less frequently because most of the testers are US based.

If you're talking about Y or mtDNA then yes, those new matches come in even less frequently than autosomal DNA matches, since they are more expensive tests and fewer people take them. But Y and mtDNA isn't available at AncestryDNA, only FTDNA, so I assumed you were talking about autosomal. With Y and mtDNA, you'll often be lucky to get 1 or 2 new matches per year. That doesn't mean they cut you off once they get your money.
I couldn't tell anyone how many new autosomal matches I get from FTDNA; on my uncles Y-DNA, I've gotten about 6 this last year. Some months I have 2 emails about it.

As for Ancestry and My Heritage, I'm still getting new matches after 4 years there, both of my parents came to the US in 1957.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:38 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I couldn't tell anyone how many new autosomal matches I get from FTDNA; on my uncles Y-DNA, I've gotten about 6 this last year. Some months I have 2 emails about it.
Wow, that's a lot! I guess it depends on the person too - my mtDNA gets about 1-2 new matches per year but my dad's Y-DNA has only had 1 new match since he tested a few years ago. I don't mind though, I got what I needed from the Y test already. What the Y group really needs now is someone from Germany to test and confirm/deny whether the immigrant lines came from the town we suspect they came from, but I doubt that will happen any time soon.

Old 12-08-2019, 01:58 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
My Y designation is 1/7400 according to 23andme, pretty rare so I would imagine that if I took the Y test I might not find many matches once I got whatever was already in the system. I get tons of autosomal matches but only 17 matches out of 1269 related "cousins" and I recognize only 2 of the 17.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:16 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
I'm getting a few, but it's a little depressing seeing online what I knew: there are a number of my family lines that just died out. After the depression, a lot of my relatives didn't have children or had only one child who survived to adulthood, and a lot of them -- in turn -- had several childless marriages - OR - they adopted children from other countries, so there's no DNA links.

The good thing about all of this: I've gotten a greater appreciation for how hard some families had to work in the 1940s-50s. I used to view that time after the war as being fairly good economically for everyone, and that just wasn't the case. There were a lot of families who had their savings/businesses wiped out in the 30s and never did recover, and then they lost a son (or three) in WW II.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:47 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
I started out with 80 or so matches...then several hundred matches, today it is in the thousands.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:21 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Wow, that's a lot! I guess it depends on the person too - my mtDNA gets about 1-2 new matches per year but my dad's Y-DNA has only had 1 new match since he tested a few years ago. I don't mind though, I got what I needed from the Y test already. What the Y group really needs now is someone from Germany to test and confirm/deny whether the immigrant lines came from the town we suspect they came from, but I doubt that will happen any time soon.
I just did a search of my gmail, my uncles Y-DNA got 13 matches in 2019

Old 12-10-2019, 11:26 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
I've been on Ancestry since October 2018 and have 24,321 distant matches, out of those 565 close matches - 4th cousin or closer. Also 103 matches are considered "new" according to Ancestry.

As for FTDNA, I did the Nat Geo test way back in July 2005 which was a Y12 test and over the last 14 and a half years have 600 matches with 36 of those coming in 2019, obviously a Y12 test is a much broader net than the other Y tests they offer, so it makes sense I'll keep getting a bunch of matches each year.

With FTDNA's Family Finder, which I just started a year ago, when I uploaded my Ancestry Raw DNA, I have 190 matches with 32 of those coming in 2019, including 2 in December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy