Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2020, 06:09 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,822,968 times

Advertisements

For example, do you still consider 4th cousins as family? 6th cousins? How about 10th cousins?

I know they are still "technically" related, but sometimes I feel like calling a 10th cousin a family member is stretching it. On the other hand, a 4th cousin is obviously more closely related since it means our Great-Grandparents are 1st cousins, so I still consider them part of my family.

Where do you draw the line as far as considering somebody as family or a cousin?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 06:15 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Depends on how good looking they are.

On a serious note, any thing past first cousin for me, not much of a "family" person.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:20 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
I consider myself “related” to everyone that’s on my Ancestry list. However, if my parents know them, no matter how distant, I consider them family. So, like first cousins a few times removed up to 3rd cousin for me. My father is close to his cousins, so their kids and their kids’ kids are kind of where I draw the line. So, my dad has cousins who have kids who are in their late 20s-early 30s and they have kids. I have them in my tree and actively keep track of that, but much more then that, unless it’s a cool relationship (like the British royal family is super distant and I joke about them being cousins) I don’t consider them “family.” Yes, we are related, but no, we are not family.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:44 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
I have 1st once removed and 2nd cousins I've never met. I had the same go to the same school as I did at the same time. The second cousins that lived a mile from my grandparents I saw regularly but the aunts, uncles, and cousins from hundreds of miles away I hardly knew.

Proximity is everything.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:44 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
We had family reunions when I was a kid but those ended when the older generation died off (you know, all the poker players). So I have distant memories of distant cousins, probably with a common ancestor four or maybe five generations back. Those people, or their kids, are popping up, more or less, in my DNA cousin list. I say "Welcome Home!". Beyond that I am at a loss on how we might be related - so they are not actually "fami!y" but distant relatives. My actual family is tiny - one brother - so I'm a bit expansive on "family" because you never know when you will need a kidney.

Old 02-09-2020, 05:58 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I think it depends on what kind of personal relationship you have with them. Since childhood, I have had regular contact with some 3rd cousins that my family are the closest extended family that they have. Therefore they are family to me.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:03 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
I too have a small family and genealogy is interesting so I'm happy to hear from distant cousins, especially if they have family photos to share so I can look for family resemblances.

Recently had email convo with distant branch of family that moved out west and became Mormons (my family is 50% non-religious). Photos of them showed beautiful people, much better looking than anyone in my close family.

I have no first cousins due to no child-bearing aunts and uncles (2 priests, gay uncle, father only child trifecta) but my first cousins once-removed (my fathers cousins) have always been like older cousins. As long as distant cousins don't ask for money (or a kidney OMG) and are not KKK I'd like to know who they are. Send photos lol.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:45 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Considering that I don’t actually “know” the majority of my first cousins, anyone farther removed I don’t consider family.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:54 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
After second cousins, I’m not very interested. That is, if I have no one that I ever knew in common with them.

Old 02-09-2020, 08:14 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
My grandmother was one of a dozen kids. We had big family reunions so I knew quite a few relatives. Once that generation died off, I lost ties with their families. I know my father's siblings and their children. However, I don't really like them. I consider them to be family in an abstract way, not as a real contact - like please don't show up at my door way.

Second cousins are too far removed. However, if they are nice, I wouldn't mind them as friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy