Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 05:40 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
OP, what you really have to figure out is if you are enrolled in a tribe.

A) If you are enrolled in a tribe, then you would check White and the Native American boxes, and write in your tribe.
B) If you are not enrolled in a tribe, then you would check White and see if the census wants you to still tick the Native American box without listing a tribe.
You do not have to be enrolled. It clearly says "print name of enrolled OR principle tribe(s)".

Old 02-17-2020, 06:12 PM

37 posts, read 20,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
OP, what you really have to figure out is if you are enrolled in a tribe.

A) If you are enrolled in a tribe, then you would check White and the Native American boxes, and write in your tribe.
B) If you are not enrolled in a tribe, then you would check White and see if the census wants you to still tick the Native American box without listing a tribe.

For your white nationality, I would suggest you either

A) write in whatever you think you mostly are;
B) wherever your last name comes from; or
C) nothing at all.

You are in a situation that if you want to fully answer the question (though you don't have to), you need to address both your Native American and Caucasian ancestry.
We are not enrolled, my older brother is still searching for documents, certificates from our grandmother, she is Cherokee. I am 25% native american which is a lot, I suppose she is 100% native american.
Our grandmother passed away 30 years ago and one of my uncles lost her papers.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:18 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangppilot View Post
Hello, I need some help.
I am kind of confused with the Census question about your race.
My results from Ancestry and Ftdna are similar.
I am 65% European, 25% Native American and 10% African. And this 10% african is not sub saharan african is north african or middle eastern.
Anyone know what my answer should be?
Thanks
Until you had your DNA tested what did you consider yourself?

Old 02-17-2020, 06:31 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Do I have that option?
I think they ask if you are white, asian, afro american or black, pacific islander or native american.
You can check more than one box. You are white (Irish) and Native American (Cherokee) and African American (if you choose to claim it).

An effort was made to add a Middle Eastern box but it will not be on the form.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You can check more than one box. You are white (Irish) and Native American (Cherokee) and African American (if you choose to claim it).

An effort was made to add a Middle Eastern box but it will not be on the form.
I think middle eastern are caucasians too

Old 02-17-2020, 09:05 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Do I have that option?
I think they ask if you are white, asian, afro american or black, pacific islander or native american.
Highest % win.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Highest % win.
That's what I thought.
Thanks

Old 02-18-2020, 12:15 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
I think middle eastern are caucasians too
And Hispanic can be black or white.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/29/58154...us-bureau-says

If they had that category you could mark it, too.

Why are you resisting the idea of checking all the boxes that match your DNA results? You do not have to choose just one, though you may if you wish.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:09 AM

322 posts, read 707,798 times
Quote:
Yes, my Ydna came out as r1b1b2a1a2f* and my Mtdna came as C1
Irish grandpas and native americans grandmothers....or at least this is my understanding.
I am still confused on that census form and what to answer. Thanks.
Which Cherokee Nation are you with? Keetoowah, Cherokee Nation or the Eastern band? Autosomal DNA results are not excepted but if you have documented lineage have you considered enrollment? Are your grandmothers enrolled? You would need to obtain your certified degree of Indian blood card first. If you need assistance I can point you in the direction.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:00 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The census says "Black or African American" so I think they are looking for Sub-Saharan African, not North African. And unless the OP knows that 10% does indeed come from North Africa (and it sounds like they do not since they said that 10% is North African OR Middle Eastern), it's possible it's actually coming from elsewhere in the Mediterranean since the Mediterranean area is very mixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy