Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 08:49 PM

660 posts, read 491,356 times

Advertisements

Which if your great-great grandparents did you inherit the most DNA from? On my maternal grandfather side me and my mom inherited more DNA o from his grandmother which is interesting because I am especially drawn to her the most of any of my ancestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 07:01 AM

30,457 posts, read 17,876,776 times
I'm not sure that you can know one way or the other, especially if your great, great grandparents came from the same general area/continent and given that none of them would have undergone a DNA test.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:12 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,276,869 times
It's really hard to say, but I believe it is likely from my dad's paternal grandmother. She never tested, but one of her sisters did. Her sister and I share ~7% of our DNA, 23andme estimates she might be my first cousin.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:58 AM

660 posts, read 491,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'm not sure that you can know one way or the other, especially if your great, great grandparents came from the same general area/continent and given that none of them would have undergone a DNA test.
You can tell by looking at DNA Matches above 40cM who are descended from their parents and grandparents and and even using chromosome bar on other sites.

Ethnicity does help sometimes and since neither of my great-great grandparents did not have ancestors came from the same place in at least the 250 years before they were born (my great-great grandfathers 4 grandparents were born in Norway while all of my great-great grandfather lines go back to late 1600s and early 1700's in Colonial America) it and I have 27% Norway it does helps in figuring it out. My great-grandmother had also done DNA test and several other people in my Family which too helps.

]My great-grandmother (who tested) has way more DNA Matches down to 40cM who are related on her Dad side however down to 40cM. I have way more DNA Matches who are on her Mom Side down to 40cM. Same with my Mom.

My great-aunt (and her sister, 2 cousins and one of my mom cousin) who also all tested have lot more matches down to 40cM related on their grandfather side then her grandmother side. they share more DNA overall with these matches. My grandfather however is more even down to 40cM when it comes to DNA Matches related on either side. His highest matches in this side is on his grandmother sde..

I don't share DNA Matches who are descended from my great-great grandfather sister however I do share DNA Matches who are descended from my great-great grandmother siblings. My Mom share more DNA with those matches descended from my great-great grandmother siblings then my great-great grandfather.

Last edited by NorthwestResident; 03-17-2020 at 12:08 PM..

Old 03-17-2020, 12:20 PM

10,194 posts, read 17,731,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
You can tell by looking at DNA Matches above 40cM who are descended from their parents and grandparents and and even using chromosome bar on other sites.
If you have enough identified matches from each branch to map your complete chromosomes, yeah, but unfortunately AncestryDNA (the most popular company) doesn't provide that information. Other companies which do either don't host family trees, or people just don't bother to upload a gedcom, so it's hard to identify matches. MyHeritage is the only one with everything but since they started DNA testing late in the game, they don't have many testers. I don't know many/any people who have managed to map enough to determine how much DNA they inherited from each great grandparent.

Why 40 cM? You can actually probably go down to matches who share at least a 15 cM segment with you, which has a 100% chance of being identical by descent.

Quote:
Ethnicity does help sometimes and since neither of my great-great grandparents did not have ancestors came from the same place in at least the 250 years before they were born (my great-great grandfathers 4 grandparents were born in Norway while all of my great-great grandfather lines go back to late 1600s and early 1700's in Colonial America) it and I have 27% Norway it does helps in figuring it out. My great-grandmother had also done DNA test and several other people in my Family which too helps.
Ethnicity isn't reliable enough unless you're looking at different continents or at least completely opposite sides of a continent. We have 8 great grandparent so it's unlikely all 8 are spread out enough that the ethnicity results will be reliable to go off this.

Quote:
My great-grandmother (who tested) has way more DNA Matches down to 40cM who are related on her Dad side however down to 40cM I have way[u] more DNA Matches who are on her Mom Side. Same with my Mom.
That's great that one of your great grandparents tested! I only managed to get one paternal grandfather, so I know I share 18% with him, and that means I got 32% from my paternal grandmother, but I have no idea on my mom's side.

Old 03-17-2020, 04:25 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,143,517 times
I would have to say my dads mother's side. My niece had a age progression AP and we took pictures of each other. I looked a lot like her and every one agreed. It kind of freaked me out.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:35 AM

10,194 posts, read 17,731,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I would have to say my dads mother's side. My niece had a age progression AP and we took pictures of each other. I looked a lot like her and every one agreed. It kind of freaked me out.
That doesn't necessarily mean you inherited more DNA from that branch. You could have inherited only 19% from your paternal grandmother (and therefore 31% from your paternal grandfather), but that 19% might have happened to contain more markers that influence your appearance.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:50 AM

4,922 posts, read 7,285,539 times
Numbers of matches related to a specific ancestor don't necessarily measure amount of DNA inherited from that ancestor, but how prolific those ancestors were. Most of us have some branches that multiplied rapidly and others very little, so that our matches will be lopsided towards those branches.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:54 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,417,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Which if your great-great grandparents did you inherit the most DNA from? On my maternal grandfather side me and my mom inherited more DNA o from his grandmother which is interesting because I am especially drawn to her the most of any of my ancestors.
Since each parent contributes exactly 50% of an offspring's DNA, each of your great-great grandparents will have contributed exactly 6.25% of your DNA.

I don't see how any other result is possible.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:27 PM

4,922 posts, read 7,285,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Since each parent contributes exactly 50% of an offspring's DNA, each of your great-great grandparents will have contributed exactly 6.25% of your DNA.

I don't see how any other result is possible.
Each parent contributes a different combination of their own parents' DNA to each child and it can vary. Your mother might contribute more of her father's DNA to one child than her mother's, and more of her mother's DNA to another child than her father's. Over the generations this can skew so that you receive very unequal amounts of DNA from various ancestors who are from the same generation.

People who have tested their grandparents can see very readily how much DNA they inherited from each. It is seldom exactly 25%. According to DNAPainter, the range of DNA inherited from a given grandparent can be from 16% to 31% of your total DNA.

The farther you go back in your tree, the contribution from each ancestor gets smaller so that you may not inherit any DNA from some of them. They are paper ancestors and no longer genetic ancestors. Meanwhile other ancestors contributed more than their "fair share." All of your DNA comes from somewhere, and it comes from a fraction of your total ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy