Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 10:24 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times

Advertisements

This is something I've been thinking about and thought I would throw it out there for everyone!

I would like to propose something ALL you can do during this virus outbreak which can be an individual project, or a family project which allows you to do something outside and that is very much needed IMHO.

Go on FIND-A-GRAVE and if you don't already have an account, sign up for one. Look for a cemetery in your general area and see if there are any open requests for photos of graves that need to be filled.

This would get you out of the house, definitely has social distancing included, and if you want to make it a family project with the kids (that can read) it could be like a scavenger hunt, so to speak.

I think this idea would give us all something to do, and have a greater purpose, and to those who have requested picture of graves, much appreciated.

If YOU have ever requested a picture from Find-A-Grave, this is a way you too could give back to others. If you are physically unable to go out, you can still help by offering to transcribe photos.

https://www.findagrave.com/contribute

Thanks for your consideration!!!! I have nothing to do with Find-A-Grave, other than I'm an avid user of it.

Last edited by Eldemila; 03-18-2020 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 06:02 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,063 times
Funny you should mention that. Spent a very pleasant morning searching a local cemetery. Totally struck out, but it was quiet and a very good stress reliever. Excellent suggestion.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:12 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I probably won't be able to do that. I did track down some parents and get a few memorials attached this last couple of days.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:12 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
I'll be going to do a few cemeteries in my area. I hope others will share this idea with others on any of the DNA related forums!!!

Old 03-20-2020, 07:32 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
It's a great thing to be doing at a time like this. You're out in the fresh air, you're walking around (and sometimes crawling on the ground) you're contributing to genealogy. When I lived in a small town with a big Puritan heritage in MA, I did Find A Grave.

You will receive requests in your emails and you can pick and choose which ones to do. This is a job that really needs to get done before it's too late in many areas. In some towns in MA the really old cemeteries are a pathetic mess and if we wait much longer, the information will be lost forever. Seaside towns north of Boston and little towns in New Hampshire have lots of cemeteries waiting for someone to sort them out. If you live around there, you could join your historical society (of course people can't meet face to face right now) and they could guide you as to what places are especially hurting.

No matter where you live, this would be a great time to go for it! People need something to do to keep from being bored? Well, this way you're out and about and you're safe at the same time while you're contributing to our favorite passion by helping other people all over the country to find their ancestors.

What a wonderful thing to be doing!

Old 03-21-2020, 08:40 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's a great thing to be doing at a time like this. You're out in the fresh air, you're walking around (and sometimes crawling on the ground) you're contributing to genealogy. When I lived in a small town with a big Puritan heritage in MA, I did Find A Grave.

You will receive requests in your emails and you can pick and choose which ones to do. This is a job that really needs to get done before it's too late in many areas. In some towns in MA the really old cemeteries are a pathetic mess and if we wait much longer, the information will be lost forever. Seaside towns north of Boston and little towns in New Hampshire have lots of cemeteries waiting for someone to sort them out. If you live around there, you could join your historical society (of course people can't meet face to face right now) and they could guide you as to what places are especially hurting.

No matter where you live, this would be a great time to go for it! People need something to do to keep from being bored? Well, this way you're out and about and you're safe at the same time while you're contributing to our favorite passion by helping other people all over the country to find their ancestors.

What a wonderful thing to be doing!
The cemeteries in NJ are pretty well documented. My suggestion is for people in NJ to go to Find A Grave, click on contribute, then photo requests. It will tell you if there's any open requests in your area. I just looked, there is nothing new by me that hasn't been claimed. The ones there are marked that there are no one buried there by those names.

You can also click on transcribe photos. I've never done it, right now it shows me there are no photos to transcribe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy