Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 10:34 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

While it's true people were kids when class photos were taken it was known they would go into a yearbook that would be published. The root of the world publish is the same as the word public. No one could have foreseen the internet, but those books have been public a long time, in libraries and people's homes. Now they just have a wider potential audience. I wouldn't worry about it if you're not running from the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 06:10 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
No, you chose to include your photo in a yearbook. I don't think I've ever seen a mandatory yearbook.

It's no secret that many libraries have copies of old yearbooks (I found my grandparents' yearbooks at the local library). My old hometown started digitizing all yearbooks and they are one year away from my class' yearbook and then it will be on the internet, presumably forever.

What, in particular, are your privacy concerns?
I didn't necessarily "choose" to be included in the yearbooks (4), it was a case where every year, freshman through junior, we were "herded" by homeroom, to various "settings" around the school, where our pictures were taken, in groups of 8-10, and then published in the yearbooks.

In our senior year, the photos were taken at the photo studio, then published individually. Our home addresses were also published on a separate group of pages, but I don't know for what reason....maybe in case we wanted to keep in contact with each other, after graduation?

My point, while my information is now 50 years old, it is nonetheless information that I may not have wanted to be made public. Do I have something to hide? NO, not at all, but I just don't like the possibilities of identity theft, which this information makes it easier to occur.

Bottom line, I like my privacy.....

Old 05-26-2020, 10:44 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Other than your name and high school, which any amateur sleuth could obtain, what "privacy" are you concerned with?

I guess that's what I'm not understanding. My yearbook doesn't have any information that couldn't be obtained publicly.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:53 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Other than your name and high school, which any amateur sleuth could obtain, what "privacy" are you concerned with?

I guess that's what I'm not understanding. My yearbook doesn't have any information that couldn't be obtained publicly.
Mine is packed away but ours has our addresses for all the seniors.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
So, in other words, my school wasn't the only one that did that..........

Old 05-28-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Do you still live at that address?

And you realize that property records are public, no?

Honestly not trying to be a jerk, just trying to understand what the "outrage" is here.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:12 AM

Quote:

Honestly not trying to be a jerk, just trying to understand what the "outrage" is here.
As the OP, let me describe the "outrage".....In this day and age, with identity theft and other sorts of fraudulent behavior going on, and far too easily, with all of the means that info can be obtained, I find it objectionable that 'Classmates' has been given access to school information, without the knowledge or permission of the individuals involved......and then published that information on the WORLD WIDE web.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:05 AM

You didn't answer my questions.

Do you realize that (if you're a property owner) it's easier to just go to your tax assessor's website and get your current address?

And to take it further, someone has your yearbook picture on the WORLD WIDE web (gasp!), now what? What are they doing with that information that's 50 years old?

Your image (pictures, video in public places), probably your car, your tax information, etc. are all over the WORLD WIDE web. This is current information. So please tell me the "outrage" over 50 year old information?

Quite simply, someone found a yearbook with your picture and 50 year old information. What are your SPECIFIC concerns?

Old 05-29-2020, 10:50 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Anyone who wants your current info, can get it....why would they want info from 50 years ago.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:32 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:

I'm not the one that's outraged. All I said was that my yearbook also had our addresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
As the OP, let me describe the "outrage".....In this day and age, with identity theft and other sorts of fraudulent behavior going on, and far too easily, with all of the means that info can be obtained, I find it objectionable that 'Classmates' has been given access to school information, without the knowledge or permission of the individuals involved......and then published that information on the WORLD WIDE web.
Ancestry did too, they also have yearbooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy