Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 07:36 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if some of you more experienced genealogists might be able to shed some light on these clusters of matches. I have several groups of Norwegian matches that are in the mid 20s to 30 cM range on my dad's side and then the same on my mom's side for what I believe is an Irish couple. The Norwegian is stressing me out because these a few Norwegian lines on my dad's side and outside of one (that has been documented incorrectly by A LOT of people) I can't figure out the connection.

Based on the trees I have looked at I can't identify the key ancestor for any of these, but I'm assuming that these are pretty distant matches (say 5-7 generations). I'm just wondering if there's anything scientific behind these big clumps staying connected to these larger groups whereas I have some documented 4th-5th cousins that only share about 15 cMs with. And then, if anyone has any tips on how to piece these large matches together. A few have some bigger trees and others have nothing at all.

I've looked at that silly cousin image that always gets posted, so I know that these aren't really close matches, but the clusters are interesting. Could these be kind of like endogamy in the Jewish world but just in these different populations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 07:41 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I'm just wondering if some of you more experienced genealogists might be able to shed some light on these clusters of matches. I have several groups of Norwegian matches that are in the mid 20s to 30 cM range on my dad's side and then the same on my mom's side for what I believe is an Irish couple. The Norwegian is stressing me out because these a few Norwegian lines on my dad's side and outside of one (that has been documented incorrectly by A LOT of people) I can't figure out the connection.

Based on the trees I have looked at I can't identify the key ancestor for any of these, but I'm assuming that these are pretty distant matches (say 5-7 generations). I'm just wondering if there's anything scientific behind these big clumps staying connected to these larger groups whereas I have some documented 4th-5th cousins that only share about 15 cMs with. And then, if anyone has any tips on how to piece these large matches together. A few have some bigger trees and others have nothing at all.

I've looked at that silly cousin image that always gets posted, so I know that these aren't really close matches, but the clusters are interesting. Could these be kind of like endogamy in the Jewish world but just in these different populations?
It could be endogamy, it could also be a "pile-up" region on the chromes where long cM matches are frequent and not normally Identical by descent (IBD.) If you search "pile up regions on chromosomes" in Google, you can find these locations and double check that you don't match these people in one of those regions.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:10 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:

In addition to the great advice westsideboy gave; it may also be the amount of DNA that got passed down.

I have a match on Ancestry who's showing as a 5th to 8th cousin to me at 11cM. I'm thankful to have a lot of kits that I manage and very decent matches where I know we're all related via great grandparents. My distant match shows as a 2nd to 3rd cousin to 2 of them and to my 1st cousin, the match is showing as 4th to 6th

Old 05-18-2020, 02:38 PM

Thanks y'all. I forgot about pile-ups. I think that's where most of my Jewish matches are coming from, but I just wanted to confirm that this is a possibility within the other ethnicities. I find it odd that there's so many pile-ups in the Irish side since it's literally just one couple (going back to my great-grandfather). The Norwegians are heavy as Ancestry has me at 40% Norwegian and my father at 47% Norwegian.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:53 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Which test(s) did you take and what do you mean by "clumps" of matches?

Old 05-18-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Which test(s) did you take and what do you mean by "clumps" of matches?
These are on Ancestry. They are 10-12 shared matches within the stated cM range.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
These are on Ancestry. They are 10-12 shared matches within the stated cM range.
And you mean they are shared matches with each other? Without a chromosome browser there's no way to know if they are matching on "pile-up regions."

Old 05-19-2020, 11:12 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
And you mean they are shared matches with each other? Without a chromosome browser there's no way to know if they are matching on "pile-up regions."
Yeah, Ancestry's lack of a chromosome browser is very frustrating. You would have to download to GEDmatch (or another service) and hope those matches have downloaded there too.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Right.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Right.
I have some groups of matches like this in Ancestry also, they match one another and almost nobody else. It does seem to suggest they probably all match on the same segment. One group I assume is all matching me on a long segment on chr. 7, because several are found in GEDmatch and other sites, and we all share a surname in our trees (those who have trees) so must trace back to a common ancestor with that name who is unknown due to a lack of records before 1800. We are probably around 6th cousins, and the segment is long, over 40 cM in some cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy