Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 11:50 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,862 times

Advertisements

Where is that user ‘WestPreussen’? He was a bit too confrontational, but had some of the best insights on ethnicities I’ve seen around. He surely would have something to say here…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 12:53 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv199 View Post
I am Italian but I cannot speak in Italian.
I'm of French heritage, but I speak just a tiny bit of French. My father speaks fluent French. It's a shame he didn't teach us. (not that he was around enough for that to take, anyway)

Old 05-23-2020, 01:06 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Where is that user ‘WestPreussen’? He was a bit too confrontational, but had some of the best insights on ethnicities I’ve seen around. He surely would have something to say here…
He does not appear to have posted in the Genealogy section before, perhaps you saw his posts in a different section.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:20 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,063 times
Born and raised in Los Angeles, as were my parents. Italian was spoken at home and is my first language. I learned Spanish from my paternal grandmother. English is my third language.

Old 05-23-2020, 01:54 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
The posters claiming 4 or 5 ethnicities don't have a distinct ethnicity. It's not the same thing as someone who has all four grandparents of the same ethnicity or even one parent of a distinct ancestry. It's not the same thing you would never be recognized as being of that ancestry by people from those countries. At that point you're no longer a member of that ethnic group.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:59 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
"Aye lad, I'll be down for tea in ten." This is the Yorkshire dialect and it's how my grandparents talked, sort of.

"‘Ear all, see all, say nowt;
Eat all, sup all, pay nowt;
And if ivver tha does owt fer nowt –
Allus do it fer thissen."

^^^This means Hear all, see all, say nothing. Eat all, drink all, pay nothing, and if you ever do something for nothing, do it for yourself.

The Yorkshire England dialect is fading fast but I still have trouble at times when I go there. The vocabulary even varies from town to town. I can read the language but there are places that I go where I can't get anyone to understand me and I can't understand them either. But, all in all, I do speak the same general language they speak. Knowing the olde vocabulary helps when trying to decipher old words, like "bairn" or "beck" or "snicket."

Old 05-23-2020, 04:12 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The posters claiming 4 or 5 ethnicities don't have a distinct ethnicity. It's not the same thing as someone who has all four grandparents of the same ethnicity or even one parent of a distinct ancestry. It's not the same thing you would never be recognized as being of that ancestry by people from those countries. At that point you're no longer a member of that ethnic group.
But that wasn't the question, the OP just wanted to know it you spoke the language(s) of your ethnicity, no where did they ask would you be recognized as being of that ancestry by the people from those countries, two totally different questions!

Old 05-23-2020, 04:26 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
But that wasn't the question, the OP just wanted to know it you spoke the language(s) of your ethnicity, no where did they ask would you be recognized as being of that ancestry by the people from those countries, two totally different questions!
I understood the question but I don't think most of these people answering are a member of a distinct ethnic group.

Old 05-23-2020, 04:44 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I understood the question but I don't think most of these people answering are a member of a distinct ethnic group.
Well considering most, not all, Americans are probably mutts with 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 different ethnicities that would be a good assumption!

Old 05-23-2020, 07:12 PM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Mom's side is German/English. Her Dad taught me counting and other words in German when I was a kid. I still remember some. I tried to take it in HS but guidance counselors were steering me away, saying how difficult it would be for me. I had a tad bit of a learning difficulty - bit hyperactive. Probably ADHD as they refer to it nowadays. Anyways, my Grandfather told me how they all used to speak German at home but then with the war, quit doing so. I don't know how much he retained after not being able to converse at home and how much was age related.

Dad's side - Irish and Scottish. I remember his oldest brother talking with his folks in Gaelic when I was there as a kid visiting. I picked up a few words and phrases, but don't ask me to spell/write them out though.

I like languages and like learning about other people's cultures. I've learned different ones over the years but trying to remember vocabulary,... sometimes now, I even forget certain words i want to say, and that's in my native tongue - English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy