Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 02:10 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
How often does a detective ask a family member if they are "mad" about their family member getting caught?
I missed it again, but then I don't really watch TV anymore, maybe next week if I remember!

Anyways, my mom did see this week's episode and thoroughly enjoyed it, she said, she's not a genealogist, I'm the budding genealogist of the family.

As for why ask a certain question on a show, remember with reality television, you still have producers, directors and even writers, yes writers. So it's not that the people on the show are actors, they're not, but many times it is the directors of these types of shows asking the cast to ask certain questions to other people on the show.

So basically, it most likely wasn't CeCe that came up with that type of question to ask, it was a director or writer that wanted her to ask it to the family for dramatic effect, remember these are Television 101 tricks of the trade!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 12:38 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Third episode aired last night (maybe I'm the only one watching) but it was a case already featured on 48 Hours which I saw last fall, the Angie Dodge rape and murder in Idaho Falls. Didn't learn anything new but as a genetic genealogy junkie I had to watch.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:32 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Third episode aired last night (maybe I'm the only one watching) but it was a case already featured on 48 Hours which I saw last fall, the Angie Dodge rape and murder in Idaho Falls. Didn't learn anything new but as a genetic genealogy junkie I had to watch.
It's on my list when I have nothing to watch but don't have time for reasons you say, they're old news by the time they air. I wish they'd do DNA Doe instead of CeCe. I have my reasons.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:54 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,063 times
Quote:
Didn't learn anything new but as a genetic genealogy junkie I had to watch.
Exactly. Afraid not to watch it, in case she shares some worthwhile tidbits. I'd prefer a little less touchy-feely and a little more science. I got a kick how she kinda glossed over the details of working a tree forward from a set of 2nd (?) great grandparents who had 12 kids, in order to find a possible suspect(s). Assuming the majority of the 12 kids were farmers and probably averaged 5-6+ kids each, that would quickly get to be a handful of lines to track down. I wish she would also talk a little bit about how she handles the most recent couple generations, without the benefit of recent census data. Regardless, I enjoy it. Hope the show hangs on awhile.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:28 PM

I'm watching the 1st episode. The term genetic genealogist is accredited to Collene from what I've remembered reading on the official website. Coleen actually has those degrees that CeCe wished she had.

I give her tons of credit for adoptees but Colleen has been ID'ing people since I've met her online in 2009.

I'm annoyed she won't give Colleen any credit but I'm not surprised. Its Colleen who.pioneered it for remains found like the Titanic remains. She then was the 1st to ID a Doe using various labs she put together for various processes

Last edited by Roselvr; 06-10-2020 at 04:55 PM..

Old 06-10-2020, 04:31 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
I wish she would also talk a little bit about how she handles the most recent couple generations, without the benefit of recent census data.
She mentioned she found really good obituaries. They help a lot post-1940.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
She mentioned she found really good obituaries. They help a lot post-1940.
True, like we all do. They also utilize ancestry public trees and records

Old 06-10-2020, 08:04 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
I watched the episode last night, that was the first one I saw. Never knew about the case they presented, but I have been to Idaho Falls once, a few years ago over Memorial Day weekend.

I thought the episode was OK, definitely some Reality TV 101 techniques used to draw out the drama. As with most genealogists, once she got "skunked" with the DNA from the father and son they first collected, I immediately knew she must have missed an offspring along the way.

I just wish it was on at 8PM or 9PM, instead of 10PM.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm watching the 1st episode. The term genetic genealogist is accredited to Collene from what I've remembered reading on the official website. Coleen actually has those degrees that CeCe wished she had.

I give her tons of credit for adoptees but Colleen has been ID'ing people since I've met her online in 2009.

I'm annoyed she won't give Colleen any credit but I'm not surprised. Its Colleen who.pioneered it for remains found like the Titanic remains. She then was the 1st to ID a Doe using various labs she put together for various processes
I was wrong, Coleen is a forensic genealogist and a founder of Forensic Genealogy

From the about section
Quote:
In 2005 Rice Systems was chosen to design the sensors on the Jupiter Icy Moon Orbiter (JIMO) project, the next spacecraft to Jupiter. When the program was canceled in favor of a lunar probe, Colleen retired temporarily, only to become the author of three of the best-selling books in genealogy, and a world-famous forensic genealogist.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:27 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I was wrong, Coleen is a forensic genealogist and a founder of Forensic Genealogy

From the about section
Dr. Fitzpatrick truly is a rocket scientist! I have read about her amazing work before but didn't realize that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy