Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 01:23 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times

Advertisements

Has anyone gone through this and came upon a simpler solution? Similar journey. Any hints, advice.

I recently recd 11 pages of files from Rivne, UA archives. They are records of SSS interrogation as my people were suspected of collaborating with banned group.

I set about getting quotes from businesses who do translations. Prices range from 360 to 590.

Then I got the idea that technology must have advanced since I looked for translation software before and it did.

Google search directed me to Nobe app which does it for script not just text. However I cannot upload the pages as is in jpg format to Nobe but have to snip the contents and export to Nobe. To do this I downloaded OneNote to convert to editable pages and then export to Nobe. I found out OneNote also does translations. I am still trying to figure it all out. Tomorrow. My head hurts after today.

Perhaps if I convert my jpegs into pdf using Image Garden Canon. I will try that.

Interested how you got cyrillic translations done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 07:34 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
I have google translate on my phone and you can use the camera option to translate.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:19 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
say what? Try google translate, yandex translate?

While in doubt asked me about something, my country uses cyrillic and it's also the best version of it, not the russian/ukranian weird deviation from later centuries though I suspect you have this one.

Old 06-19-2020, 01:33 PM

Thanks for your comments.
I was using Google Translate but it is poor at cyrillic alphabet, not very good and it does not translate script (handwriting).
I am at an advanced level of genealogy 20 years in the making. However my journey takes me to Ukraine where records are not widely digitized and are inaccessible. It is kind of the last frontier to Ancestry, famillysearch.org, MyHeritage, and so on. I have only just found my maternal relatives in Ukraine after decades of no contact. I searched for them for 18 years and found them on Geni.com. It is they that sent me the documents I am discussing.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:03 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Look around for a church or community of those who speak that language. A bit surprised that you have SS interrogation in Ukrainian but who knows.
They may just do it for you or some church donation will be appreciated.

We are everywhere.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:06 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Are you near a college or are you a graduate of one? I have paid college foreign exchange students from mine to translate for me. I talked to someone in Student Affairs who was the foreign exchange liaison & they set it up. I emailed pdfs & they sent me back a translation. I paid using paypal. I always gave them at least $100 as a thank you, even when they only charged min wage. Or try the foreign language dept.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:07 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
You could call the nearest university to you that has a Russian language program, and ask if any of the grad students do translation. Then call whosever name they give you, and ask how much they charge.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:09 PM

4,206 posts, read 4,457,265 times
I would echo 5, 6, 7.
Either local church / cultural heritage center / or college grad student.
I think you may get better translation from the former because of the historical context and if you have someone with a heritage historical center they may be more familiar with dialects and nuances than a college student unless the student is a linguistics student. Good luck sounds intriguing.

From personal experience I had an old newspaper article in Croatian and was fortunate at the time to have a first generation Croatian engineer working in same company over two decades ago and he was able to translate. The funny thing was when I would try to use some of the Croatian from my grandmother (she only went to school through 8th grade) he would smile because, not only was the education level low, but also the ancestors were from the hill country and must have had a dialect difference much like Appalachians in the USA.

Experienced some of the same with Father's side as they were from rural SE Poland near Ukraine border and the phrases I tried to use when in Poland (that were passed down) were subject to the same problem at times. It felt much like that old school game of telephone. Their immigration paperwork was in Russian though because of the time at which they came over to USA (before WW1).

Old 06-27-2020, 12:51 PM

It is SSS, Soviet Special Services.

Stalin's Soviets pushed Germany out of Eastern Ukraine and then proceeded to torment the people further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy