Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2020, 09:38 AM

210 posts, read 156,635 times

Advertisements

I have a regular subscription to Ancestry.com, and am doing a 2 week free trial at Ancestry.co.uk. I'm trying to find a marriage record for a woman named Janet Sawbridge (born 1947, found her birth record) from 1976 or 1977 (maybe 1978, but she gave birth in 1978 and she was married prior). I don't know the name of her husband, which is why I'm trying to locate it. She lived in Nottinghamshire at the time, don't know location of marriage but assume it's the same, it was certainly somewhere in the UK.

I'm actually finding UK marriage records to be difficult to locate in general on Ancestry.co.uk, using relatives and other people whose information I already know. Anyone have the same problem, or have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 11:30 AM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,232 times
Is this her? https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...=successSource

That same Janet A Sawbridge was born in 1947 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV7H-V4LS

Old 07-14-2020, 12:31 PM

210 posts, read 156,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Yes, that has to be, thank you! Do you have a full subscription, and maybe that's why I couldn't find it? I can't figure it out. There are a handful of entries that would come up when I would search for someone (besides this person), where I could see there was an entry, and when I clicked on it it would bring me to a page asking me to sign up for a full subscription. I was never able to bring up more than 4 entries for Janet, this Janet and one other born in 1948, and 2 in the early aughts where they were registered as living.

And I've just gone and tried to search again, as I was before, and sure enough all of the Janet Sawbridges come up including her marriage record. I swear I have as few items filled out as possible, not checked as exact....I don't know why suddenly more records are there.

Well, thank you for finding that!

Old 07-14-2020, 12:54 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Using the UK website FreeBMD at https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl it shows Janet A Sawbridge in Sep 1976 in Birmingham district married a person last name Salisbury.

Searching then for any Salisbury married Sep 1976, found a Trevor A Salisbury married a last name Sawbridge

The BMD records only show spouse's last name, but putting the 2 together, presumably this is who you are looking for.

You can also pull up an image of the original indexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy