Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 09:09 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,637,449 times

Advertisements

I dithered and postponed for so long because
a.) Many family branches have been blessed with family genealogists in several generations and our family history and origins is pretty well-known to us.
b.) my cousin had her's done about ten years ago and our mothers being identical twins I figured what was hers was mine
c.) Cousin used Ancestry and it pretty much confirmed what we already knew, no real surprises.
d.) I wasn't really looking for anyone or to solve a mystery of birth or ethnicity.

However having said all that, getting the reports made for fun and interesting reading, even if largely predictable.

Results: (approx. percentages)
25% Scandinavian
23% English
22% French/German
10% Iberian (Welsh)
8% Toscani Italia

No surprises. French from Normandy, German from Bavaria. Toscani Italia from the Roman occupation of Britain. CRI uses modern country/regional names just to help users identify place of origin.

The interesting bits:
5% Chinese/Japanese
4% Punjabi/Bengali/Sri Lankan
4% Indiginous Americas: Peru/Colombia/Puerto Rico

The last is the real surprise and most interesting. Have no idea where or who it came from but somebody back there brought it to the table.

Asian/Indian is no real surprise either, anyone from the Eurasian continent will have traces given the movement of people over the thousands of years.

It's been an educational and enjoyable experience. Highly recommend CRI for not being too pushy or flashy, reports straight forward and easy to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 07:26 AM

1,161 posts, read 466,032 times
We used CRI as well and were pleased with and confident in the results. However, "not pushy" would not be my description. We were overwhelmed with emails to the point that I finally relegated them to the spam list.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:56 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
CRI is the company that host a website which looks like a DNA test comparison site but it's actually just created to rank themselves as the top company. They are not forthcoming about the fact that they own the site and that's why they are ranked at the top. This is called shilling, and it's actually illegal in most places. I wouldn't put much trust in them as a company.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:53 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
a.) Many family branches have been blessed with family genealogists in several generations and our family history and origins is pretty well-known to us.
b.) my cousin had her's done about ten years ago and our mothers being identical twins I figured what was hers was mine
c.) Cousin used Ancestry and it pretty much confirmed what we already knew, no real surprises.
d.) I wasn't really looking for anyone or to solve a mystery of birth or ethnicity.

However having said all that, getting the reports made for fun and interesting reading, even if largely predictable.

25% Scandinavian
23% English
22% French/German
10% Iberian (Welsh)
8% Toscani Italia

No surprises. French from Normandy, German from Bavaria. Toscani Italia from the Roman occupation of Britain. CRI uses modern country/regional names just to help users identify place of origin.

The interesting bits:
5% Chinese/Japanese

The last is the real surprise and most interesting. Have no idea where or who it came from but somebody back there brought it to the table.

Asian/Indian is no real surprise either, anyone from the Eurasian continent will have traces given the movement of people over the thousands of years.

It's been an educational and enjoyable experience. Highly recommend CRI for not being too pushy or flashy, reports straight forward and easy to understand.
I haven't done DNA with them, looked over their site. Looks like they give ethnicity plus some health.

The difference between doing it with them and your cousin doing it with Ancestry is your cousin got a lot more features then you did as Ancestry has family trees and DNA matching with various cousins which CRI doesn't have. For me, and a lot of us here in the genealogy section, working our family trees and being able to confirm our trees are accurate with having DNA matches from our parents lines. It's a lot of fun to work matches.

You should also consider doing Ancestry at some point because they have the largest DNA database. They regularly have sales where it's $59. If your parents are alive, you should also test them at Ancestry when it goes on sale.

Your DNA will be different then your cousins because you have DNA from your father plus the DNA that you each got from your identical twin mothers will be different strands. It's the same with siblings, we don't get the same DNA strands that our siblings have. You may end up with some DNA for a grand parent or great grandparent that they did not get.

As I said, Ancestry has family trees and also if you have cousin matches that are in your tree, they have tools to note your match in your tree. It's pretty cool. They also have a colored dot feature where you make various relatives a different color. Say you're just starting out, you message people to ask if they have your dad's parents names and your mom's parents names. When they get back to you, you can do a blue dot for DNA matches on your dad's side and a pink dot for DNA relatives on your moms side. Once you figure out which of your moms parents they match on, you can use another colored dot. For my mothers mothers side, I use a darker shade of pink and for my mother's father's side, I'll use orange shades. For unknown matches, I use lime green so it stands out.

I did my DNA at Ancestry. I don't speak to my mother or siblings, my dad has been deceased almost 15 years. I had my dad's brother that lives in Hungary do DNA at Ancestry, he was 80 at the time, so I wanted to do it before I lost him. It stinks that he has different DNA then my dad but having his DNA was better then not having it. I also have a 1st cousin on my mothers side that lives in Hungary. I also tested him. His father is my mothers brother. So now I have 2 samples of DNA from my mother's side. We have DNA cousins who's grandmothers were sisters with my mothers mother. So now I have DNA from 4 more cousins on my grandmother's parents side. I manage the DNA for one of those 4 cousins so am able to see the ones he matches that we don't. I match some people that my 1st cousin doesn't and he matches some that I do not. Same with our DNA cousins. They got strands of DNA that my cousin and I didn't get.

With the company you tested with, you're able to upload to GEDmatch for free to play around with their ethnicity tools. You're not able to do the free upload at My Heritage or FTDNA for free family matching. My Heritage has a lot of neat DNA tools and features. They're world-wide, you're able to see matches that live in other countries. They show family trees of matches along with surnames of matches. They also have something called chromosome browser. Some of their features you have to pay $29 to use them but it's very worth it. My Heritage also has family trees, so you can do a tree at ancestry, then upload it to My Heritage. You can then upload your parents DNA to your My Heritage tree. Ancestry only allows one adult DNA test per email address, the way around it is to make a new gmail account for each parent, then allow your main account to manage it and attach their DNA to your tree. That's what I did for my Hungarian cousin and my dad's brother.

FTDNA only gives free family matching. If you want ethnicity, ancient ethnicity and chromosome browser it's a one time fee of $19. I manage 9 relative DNA kits, I paid $19 for my account and was not impressed. Their site is very archaic.

I have DNA in all of the main databases. Last year I finally broke down and did 23 and me. I've been watching their prices since they 1st started. Their sale on the health test has always been $150 (normally $199). Of course after I did it, they had a sale last year from Black Friday until Christmas where the health test was $99. If it goes to $99 again this year, I'll buy tests for my kids.

I have directions for everything in a pinned thread here if you decide to do Ancestry.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:30 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:

25% Scandinavian
23% English
22% French/German
10% Iberian (Welsh)
8% Toscani Italia

The interesting bits:
5% Chinese/Japanese

Do you have any non-European ancestors, or suspect you have any?

If not, than these results (13% of your total) are likely the result of a faulty ethnicity calculator. Even looking at ancient DNA will not put 13% of your ancestry in far Eastern and Southern Asia and the Americas if you are of non-admixed European ancestry.

I would suggest you download at GEDmatch or possibly test again.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:42 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Do you have any non-European ancestors, or suspect you have any?

If not, than these results (13% of your total) are likely the result of a faulty ethnicity calculator. Even looking at ancient DNA will not put 13% of your ancestry in far Eastern and Southern Asia and the Americas if you are of non-admixed European ancestry.

I would suggest you download at GEDmatch or possibly test again.
I had that issue with CRI. Without going into too much detail, some of the results were impossible to be true. For example, they showed a small percentage of Peruvian Andes which could have never happened because my parents immigrated from Italy. There were absolutely no previous ties to the Americas or to Native Americans. When I tested with 23andme, all the weird small percentages which couldn't be true disappeared.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:43 PM

Yes fair point, maybe another test with another group might be worthwhile.

My father's family could be the source of Indiginous. The family lived in western Florida panhandle after the AmRev, moved from South Carolina. Five Tribes/Seminole lands and I'm murkey on the family brides.

Interestingly Cousin's great grandmother was NC Choctaw according to her father's family but no traces of Native American showed in Cousin's DNA report through Ancestry.

I've joined Ancestry a couple times, the last because the baptismal records at St Andrews Holborn London that survived the great fire 1660s are at Guild Hall and they've loaded everything that survived onto Ancestry. Looking for a "controversial" ancestor that some say didn't exist I suspect he did but I wasn't able to find him. But that's another story.

I'm still getting emails daily/weekly from Ancestry. I don't want to block them but enough is enough. CRI hasn't sent anywhere near the volume of email Ancestry has.

Old 07-29-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I had that issue with CRI. Without going into too much detail, some of the results were impossible to be true. For example, they showed a small percentage of Peruvian Andes which could have never happened because my parents immigrated from Italy. There were absolutely no previous ties to the Americas or to Native Americans. When I tested with 23andme, all the weird small percentages which couldn't be true disappeared.
But you know, Indiginous Americans did go back to Spain/Italy with Columbus and others. The contact could have been made in Europe rather than in the Americas.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:09 PM

Roselvr thanks for suggestions and insight, is it worthwhile to use the various companies to compare results?

It could be interesting but maybe confusing! But will take it under advisement.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:51 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
But you know, Indiginous Americans did go back to Spain/Italy with Columbus and others. The contact could have been made in Europe rather than in the Americas.
They were brought back as spectacles to show royalty what the indigenous people looked like. Few lived more than a few month to a year before dying of European diseases.
If by the smallest chance one of them lived long enough to have children with a European, those genes would be so watered down 500 years later that they would probably be less than 1 percent. Then the chances of someone carrying that native American gene making their way to my parents small town in Italy are just about zero. I'm just saying, the overall chances of something like that happening are incredibly minute to say the least.

With 23andme I had no northern European ancestry at all. With CRI I had a small amount of northern European and was 8 percent Jewish. With 23andme, I was zero Jewish and nearly 100 percent Italian.

If you can do it, I think it would be extremely interesting to have another test done by another company and then you can compare the two.

Last edited by marino760; 07-29-2020 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy