Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 01:44 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,292,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I'm more interested in my cultural heritage than my DNA heritage. Cultural heritage is how I and my family live. I relate to other people with my cultural heritage. Their DNA is irrelevant to me.
Then why are you posting on a thread about DNA? The OP is specifically addressing people who took a DNA test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 06:19 PM

15,982 posts, read 10,541,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Then why are you posting on a thread about DNA? The OP is specifically addressing people who took a DNA test.
Cultural heritage is an interesting adjunct to DNA heritage. That is what might push us to disbelieve what a DNA test tells us. People have a heavy psychological investment in being one thing or another. Culturally, my paternal family was "German" and it came as a shock, followed by denial, that the DNA story was more complicated.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:28 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,188,670 times
Quote:
She sound like one of those people who goes on a thread entitled, "What's your favorite ice cream flavor?", and posts "I don't like ice cream. I prefer to eat fruit for dessert."

Old 08-31-2020, 06:45 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,289,644 times
Quote:
I'm more interested in my cultural heritage than my DNA heritage. Cultural heritage is how I and my family live. I relate to other people with my cultural heritage. Their DNA is irrelevant to me.
Well I think that's the tenuous goal of ethnic DNA breakdown. The whole point is they try to correlate cultural groups with DNA groups so you get another piece of data. Like just like DNA, cultural groups are in fact hard to define, heavily overlap, and are highly contrived and have many different definitions. So you run into the same sorts of problems trying to apply the same sort of information.

So though their DNA might be irrelevant to you, identifying how it may correlate to the cultural heritage that you do in fact find relevant might actually be of use. Whether you realize it or not.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:52 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,289,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
She sound like one of those people who goes on a thread entitled, "What's your favorite ice cream flavor?", and posts "I don't like ice cream. I prefer to eat fruit for dessert."
Very true Some people like to focus on what they don't like, what they don't find relevant, rather than what they do *shrug*.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:48 PM

8,881 posts, read 5,899,451 times
Quote:
I posted: "I'm more interested in my cultural heritage than my DNA heritage. Cultural heritage is how I and my family live. I relate to other people with my cultural heritage. Their DNA is irrelevant to me."

I am interested in shared cultures which is ethnicity. The OP was asking if DNA results differed from ethnicity. I felt that "ethnicity" was cultural heritage, not DNA.

"Ethnicity refers to culture, while race refers to biology. Culture includes practices people learn to fit into natural and social environments. [. . . ] Clothing, foods, holidays, language and religion help define ethnicity in terms of culture. " https://www.reference.com/article/s-...08eafb85edb8b7

I hope that explains the reason for my post, although I didn't realize that posts had to be justified. Sorry if anyone was offended by my referring to cultural heritage. Everyone happy?

Old 09-01-2020, 09:33 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,740,824 times
Quote:
I posted: "I'm more interested in my cultural heritage than my DNA heritage. Cultural heritage is how I and my family live. I relate to other people with my cultural heritage. Their DNA is irrelevant to me."

I am interested in shared cultures which is ethnicity. The OP was asking if DNA results differed from ethnicity. I felt that "ethnicity" was cultural heritage, not DNA.

"Ethnicity refers to culture, while race refers to biology. Culture includes practices people learn to fit into natural and social environments. [. . . ] Clothing, foods, holidays, language and religion help define ethnicity in terms of culture. " https://www.reference.com/article/s-...08eafb85edb8b7

I hope that explains the reason for my post, although I didn't realize that posts had to be justified. Sorry if anyone was offended by my referring to cultural heritage. Everyone happy?
The topic is "People who took a DNA test, is there anyone whose DNA results are very different from his/her ethnicity?" Since you did not take a DNA test and have no interest in it, this topic isn't for you. You're free to talk about cultural heritage in any relevant topic, but this topic is about DNA test results.

I don't think anyone is offended, it's just that "anti-DNA people" (so to speak) have a habit of deliberately barging into topics about DNA (as though intentionally seeking them out) and making sure everyone knows they have no interest in DNA. It's just tiresome for those of us who have seen it again and again.

I don't go into a topic titled "which sewing machine do you prefer?" and make sure everyone knows I don't even like sewing and will never get a sewing machine because I prefer crocheting. Frankly, that would be rude at best, and at worst, trolling. No one asked my opinion on liking sewing or not, no one asked what I'd rather be doing, and barging into a topic for people who clearly like sewing and announcing my dislike for it is kind of being confrontational.

Old 09-01-2020, 01:48 PM

23,790 posts, read 33,259,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The topic is "People who took a DNA test, is there anyone whose DNA results are very different from his/her ethnicity?" Since you did not take a DNA test and have no interest in it, this topic isn't for you. You're free to talk about cultural heritage in any relevant topic, but this topic is about DNA test results.

I don't think anyone is offended, it's just that "anti-DNA people" (so to speak) have a habit of deliberately barging into topics about DNA (as though intentionally seeking them out) and making sure everyone knows they have no interest in DNA. It's just tiresome for those of us who have seen it again and again.

I don't go into a topic titled "which sewing machine do you prefer?" and make sure everyone knows I don't even like sewing and will never get a sewing machine because I prefer crocheting. Frankly, that would be rude at best, and at worst, trolling. No one asked my opinion on liking sewing or not, no one asked what I'd rather be doing, and barging into a topic for people who clearly like sewing and announcing my dislike for it is kind of being confrontational.
Agree, if she's never done DNA why even post?

Old 09-02-2020, 08:59 AM

If my post is off topic, just ignore it. Just like you can ignore this post. I've been on threads where the talking points vary somewhat from the OP. I was talking about ethnicity, just like the OP. Why the hullabaloo?

Old 09-02-2020, 09:07 AM

"I don't go into a topic titled "which sewing machine do you prefer?" and make sure everyone knows I don't even like sewing and will never get a sewing machine because I prefer crocheting. Frankly, that would be rude at best, and at worst, trolling. No one asked my opinion on liking sewing or not, no one asked what I'd rather be doing, and barging into a topic for people who clearly like sewing and announcing my dislike for it is kind of being confrontational."

If you post that you prefer hand sewing and had not found a sewing machine that could rival your small stiches, I would think that the posters would be glad to share their views of their preferences. You shouldn't post that people who use sewing machines are morons. That would be rude. However, saying that you prefer hand sewing for the enjoyment and that you have not found a sewing machine that you liked, would be appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy