Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 07:33 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I think I presupposed you knew that Henna is a plant. The Egyptians were the first to use it a a dye for their hair. A natural way to go, hence up to 3 hours for best saturation.
Yeah, I know henna is a plant, that's why I said this was a good option. I have to look into if it will lighten my root brown roots to a blond color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 07:44 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
This may help a bit to understand genetics and how you may have gotten brown eyes. Think of the brown as one of the itty bitty pieces that gets passed down.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:13 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
i read somewhere , where all blue eye people are related to one person. i dont know if that true but i remember reading it in a magazine

Old 11-06-2020, 09:49 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
My Swedish SIL has dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. Her sister has blonde hair and blue eyes. They both have fair skin.

Henna is cheap. However, all of the colors do leave a reddish hue, even if there is a lot of indigo in it. Try henna hut or henna color lab products. You mix the powder with water and then leave it on between 1 and 2 hours. It makes your hair feel thicker for a while. Note: you cannot make your hair lighter with henna, only darker. Much healthier than chemicals but after several times of whole head applications, your hair does get a couple of shades darker and you have to wait for it to fade or grow out. If you have long hair, 2 packages is more than enough. If that's too much, you can then try one package but better to have too much the first time.

Old 11-07-2020, 12:49 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,499,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian Luzzatto View Post
Brown eyes are recessive among Swedes and blue eyes are dominant among Swedes!
I think you meant to say brown eyes are less common. Brown eyes, except in the case of some rare genetic abnormalities, can NEVER be recessive. It's because "blue eyes" is what you get when a particular pigment (melanin) gene is turned off. And you need both copies turned off. Turn een one gene on, and you get brown.

There are other genes that affect eye color, which is why you have so many shades of blue, green and brown, but one gene for melanin production counts for a lot of the difference.

Old 11-07-2020, 02:44 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
My younger sister, my mother, and my mother's father all had brown eyes. Yet my mother's father was 100% Swedish and his family came from Sandviken, about 200 km north of Stockholm. They were ordinary folk, not international traders or anything like that. One hears that Swedes are typically blue-eyed.

So if some Swedes have brown eyes does that mean some mixing at some point in the past? Why didn't my 23 and Me results turn up any ethnic surprises? My official results were 50% Irish/British Isles and 50% Nordic which is what I expected. But the brown eyed Swedes...
What one hears is wrong. There are lots of brown-eyed Swedes. I don't know how that rumor about blue eyes got started, except for the tendency to over-simplify life, and to stereotype. Honestly, I don't remember seeing any blue-eyed Swedes when I spent a summer there. I was mostly in the north, but a bit in the south as well.

Also, bear in mind that in the north, there are a quite a few Swedes with at least 1/4 Saami heritage, though they don't admit it to other Swedes.

Old 11-08-2020, 05:26 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,321,730 times
Quote:
Only 4% of racial Swedes have brown eyes. That's recessive. Sweden has never had a brown eyed Prime Minister. Every Swedish Prime Minister has had either blue eyes or green eyes! Swedes are not a Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Latino people. If you ask people which physical features do they associate with racial Swedes NOBODY would say brown eyes!
I'm a scientist (virus maker) and a science nerd in general and you bring up an interesting point.

Let's say you have a sub-population (Native Swedes), which is part of a larger population (the world in general), where you have a trait, in this case, blue or light-colored eyes, which in the larger population is considered a recessive trait, but in this sub-population it is "dominant".

With the recessive trait being dominant in a sub-population, does that cause the connotation to flip, maybe, I guess, probably not?

The thing is, even though only 4% of native Swedes have brown eyes, when they reproduce with another native Swede with blue eyes, the brown eyes gene or genes are still going to be dominant over the blue eyes gene or genes, that will never change, if you know what I mean. I guess there could be 2 different meanings, in that the recessive trait of blue or light-colored eyes is expressed in a huge majority of the native population (96%), but the brown eyes genes themselves, even though only 4% of the native population have them, are still going to be dominant over the blue eyes genes, when the genes come together in reproduction.

Last edited by cjseliga; 11-08-2020 at 06:00 AM..

Old 11-08-2020, 09:20 AM

I did a google to try to find percentages but there really has not been studies done. The blog linked below used as much data as they could find that was online. Finland is #1 with 80% blond and 89% blue eyes. Sweden is #2 with 78% blond and 70-80% blue eyes. Norway is #3 with 75% blond and 50-80% blue eyes. Estonia is 4th, with 70% blond and 64% blue eyes. It says that around 64% of Estonian population has blue-grayish eyes. I guess that's where mine and my son's came from.

Top 10 Countries that Have the Most Blondes and Blue Eyes as a Percentage of Population

Old 11-14-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
There is an actress from AMC's Fear The Walking Dead named Mercedes Mason who was born in Sweden and she has pure brown eyes but both of her parents are Iranian immigrants from Iran who immigrated to Sweden, so she is not a racial Swede she's only a passport "Swede". She's a racial Iranian!
Obviously she wouldn't count because she's Iranian lol

Old 11-14-2020, 04:45 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,316,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What one hears is wrong. There are lots of brown-eyed Swedes. I don't know how that rumor about blue eyes got started, except for the tendency to over-simplify life, and to stereotype. Honestly, I don't remember seeing any blue-eyed Swedes when I spent a summer there. I was mostly in the north, but a bit in the south as well.

Also, bear in mind that in the north, there are a quite a few Swedes with at least 1/4 Saami heritage, though they don't admit it to other Swedes.
Interesting.

Danish researchers found evidence of genetic influence from Southern Europe and Asia in Viking DNA dating back to before the Viking Age (750 - 1050 A.D.).

Population genomics of the Viking world
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2688-8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy