Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 07:17 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,867,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My husband's Dad was in WW2 and wrote love letters back to his future wife. She saved them in the envelopes. Hubs has them now.

Don't know how you could remove the stamps, but wonder if DNA could still be taken from that? Maybe you can search around for something like that?
There is a company called ToTheLetterDNA that will DNA test from stamps, but it's very expensive and located in Australia. Do not remove the stamp, they will cut a square from it without removing it - it's the very fact that the DNA has been trapped and preserved in the adhesive between two pieces of paper that it's even possible to do this.

MyHeritage and LivingDNA both had this in the works at one point but it appears they abandoned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 04:01 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,372,611 times
One odd thing I noticed with several of my close matches was that their totals did not equal 100%. Very strange. We are all heavily ethically mixed and have a bunch - maybe 8 or more regions listed.

The grayed out areas that show what regions you don't share with your match are incomplete. Hopefully it's a short term glitch.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:29 PM

95 posts, read 101,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
One odd thing I noticed with several of my close matches was that their totals did not equal 100%. Very strange. We are all heavily ethically mixed and have a bunch - maybe 8 or more regions listed.

The grayed out areas that show what regions you don't share with your match are incomplete. Hopefully it's a short term glitch.
Ancestry DNA has several options that allow you to limit what DNA matches see in your profile. It's possible that you are only able to see the ethnicities that you have in common with some of your matches.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:

It's not a glitch, everyone has the option to set their ethnicity results to either:

"Your DNA matches can see your full ethnic regions and Genetic Communitiesâ„¢."

OR

"Your DNA matches can only see the portion of your ethnic regions and Genetic Communitiesâ„¢ they have in common with you."

So any DNA match that has selected the latter option, you are only seeing the results you share with them. Any regions they have results in, which you don't, you don't get to see.

Old 09-17-2020, 03:11 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My husband's Dad was in WW2 and wrote love letters back to his future wife. She saved them in the envelopes. Hubs has them now.

Don't know how you could remove the stamps, but wonder if DNA could still be taken from that? Maybe you can search around for something like that?
Your hub is very lucky to have the letters. As PA2UK says, it's expensive right now. It will eventually get cheaper. My DNA match is keeping her eyes open for if My Heritage does do this. Hopefully in the next 3 years it will get cheaper. Prices always come down. I remember when 23 and me 1st started, it was like $250 to do your DNA.

I had linked to the threads a few posts up. Ancestor DNA from stamps had the My Heritage blog about it, the Testing artifact DNA had a link to ToTheLetterDNA if you want to see more.

I think I have my dads old glasses, I may even have his dentures which would be a DNA gold mine because they weren't put in cleaner. They would have been taken out of his mouth and put directly into their container. I went into the basement to do a quick look, the box I thought had stuff like his dentures doesn't. I have a clear container that I see has his glucose meter box and a few other product boxes. Will have to look later because it will drive me nuts lol I have clothes of his but unfortunately I'm pretty sure they were all washed.

Taken directly from their site, I guess they spell artifact different in Australia...

ToTheLetterDNA FAQs
Quote:
Artefacts include envelopes, postcard with stamp/s or aerogrammes, as well as hair, razors, spectacles and other items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
There is a company called ToTheLetterDNA that will DNA test from stamps, but it's very expensive and located in Australia. Do not remove the stamp, they will cut a square from it without removing it - it's the very fact that the DNA has been trapped and preserved in the adhesive between two pieces of paper that it's even possible to do this.

MyHeritage and LivingDNA both had this in the works at one point but it appears they abandoned it.
I also see that ToTheLetterDNA has DNA banking for funeral directors. They take the DNA directly from the deceased. I'm thankful I did my kids grandmothers before they passed because my daughters grandmother passed away the other day, a few months shy of 91. I was going to buy her a 23 and me test if the health went for $99 again on Black Friday. At one time her daughter had ordered a 23 and me test for her, I'll have to ask her if she ever took did it. She was interested to see if MIL was a Cystic Fibrosis carrier, I ended up doing Promethease, told her to cancer her order. MIL did carry the CF gene.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:00 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,372,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersFL View Post
Ancestry DNA has several options that allow you to limit what DNA matches see in your profile. It's possible that you are only able to see the ethnicities that you have in common with some of your matches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It's not a glitch, everyone has the option to set their ethnicity results to either:

"Your DNA matches can see your full ethnic regions and Genetic Communitiesâ„¢."

OR

"Your DNA matches can only see the portion of your ethnic regions and Genetic Communitiesâ„¢ they have in common with you."

So any DNA match that has selected the latter option, you are only seeing the results you share with them. Any regions they have results in, which you don't, you don't get to see.
Thanks guys makes sense. But prior to the changes I was able to see everything with the areas of difference being grayed out. I can still see the grayed out areas but their totals do not equal 100%, I'm thinking of two matches specifically who I know personally, they're my first cousins. They have not been on to update any settings. So that's the odd part.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys makes sense. But prior to the changes I was able to see everything with the areas of difference being grayed out. I can still see the grayed out areas but their totals do not equal 100%, I'm thinking of two matches specifically who I know personally, they're my first cousins. They have not been on to update any settings. So that's the odd part.
If their ethnicity report hasn't been updated yet, that could be why.

Old 09-19-2020, 01:26 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
My wife got her Black DNA "back". It showed on the initial results, then was removed on the first update. On update #3 is now has 1% Black and 1% Jewish. Main odd thing on my update is the 0% Welsh. I get 17% Scottish and 6% Irish but no Welsh? My paternal line and quite a few other lines are Welsh. Meanwhile DNA has always shown a small amount of Finnish.

Old 09-19-2020, 02:35 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My wife got her Black DNA "back". It showed on the initial results, then was removed on the first update. On update #3 is now has 1% Black and 1% Jewish. Main odd thing on my update is the 0% Welsh. I get 17% Scottish and 6% Irish but no Welsh? My paternal line and quite a few other lines are Welsh. Meanwhile DNA has always shown a small amount of Finnish.
When you say "black" do you mean a specific region in Africa?

Regarding the English/Irish/Scottish thing, it appears that that's been a big change. Lots of people's backgrounds in that area have changed.

Old 09-19-2020, 04:49 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
When you say "black" do you mean a specific region in Africa?

Regarding the English/Irish/Scottish thing, it appears that that's been a big change. Lots of people's backgrounds in that area have changed.
Wife has consistently had South Central / Congo show up in the 1% range. 1st update removed it, first and latest showed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy