Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 11:35 AM

2,199 posts, read 3,357,507 times

Advertisements

I was comparing a DNA match with my mother's DNA this morning and a notice came up in the comparison box which said "AncestryDNA recently updated ethnicity estimate results based on advances in DNA science and additional data. Until all users update their results, you may see differences in regions and region names as you compare results."

When I when to check her DNA with another DNA match, the message didn't come up. So, I went to my DNA matches and clicked on a couple and for one the message came up and didn't for the other.

The actual ethnicity for my mother or myself wasn't changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 11:55 AM

9,849 posts, read 13,689,106 times
Mine didn't appear to change either, with their update. They may be playing with other regions that we do not test for.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:39 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Yeah there's starting to be reports of people seeing a change in the ethnicity of some of their DNA matches, when they look at the comparison.

Wales is a separate percentage from England & NW Europe. Scotland and Ireland will be separate percentages. Surprisingly, Italy will be split up in separate percentages for North and South. There may be more, that's all I've heard about so far.

Look through your DNA matches and click ethnicity - I haven't come across any with the changes, but some people are.

Old 09-05-2020, 02:22 PM

2,199 posts, read 3,357,507 times
A few times when I clicked on an ethnicity of a match and looked at my ethnicity, and there was a message regarding change, the only change for me was that two of the ethnicities were printing twice. My 1% Ireland & Scotland was listed twice and my 4% England,Wales & Northwestern Europe was also listed twice. LOL, if they split Ireland & Scotland, I wonder were the 1% will go .

Old 09-05-2020, 02:46 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times
I use Ancestry Canada. There’s a banner at the top of my home page which says:
Coming soon! We’ll be updating AncestryDNA ethnicity results to be even more precise in the coming weeks
So the process won’t be completed for quite some time.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:18 PM

10,210 posts, read 17,862,571 times
I wonder why they would announce it in Canada but not in the US? It's pretty typical for updates to be in beta testing for weeks or even months.

Old 09-06-2020, 04:31 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Yeah there's starting to be reports of people seeing a change in the ethnicity of some of their DNA matches, when they look at the comparison.

Wales is a separate percentage from England & NW Europe. Scotland and Ireland will be separate percentages. Surprisingly, Italy will be split up in separate percentages for North and South. There may be more, that's all I've heard about so far.

Look through your DNA matches and click ethnicity - I haven't come across any with the changes, but some people are.
I just went thru the 9 kits I manage, none tell me they've been updated but my son's does look different. He has Ireland and Scotland, it's now showing Scottish Highlands & Islands, Ross & Cromarty. I wish I could remember how long ago I last looked at his ethnicity.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:46 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Mine was updated without notice. IMO, my percentages are getting less accurate with each new update.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:42 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Question about DNA matches - Could have sworn someone posted that Ancestry was tightening up their match feature so that some of our matches would end up dropping off. Does anyone know if they did that yet? Course I just found it under Story Scout after submitting here. That was the only Ancestry thread I didn't check. Apparently Ancestry got rid of matches under 6CM in August

I'm going thru my matches. Some I have marked yellow, unknown match with my mother. Going thru them again, some do not match with her, nor do they match with any of her common matches. I'm now writing notes 9/6/2020 matches mother, matches common match (name) that matches mother or an orange dot 9/6/2020 does not match mother, previously marked yellow. I'm usually anal about checking common matches before adding the dot, so it makes no sense

I'm wondering if I lost some of the common matches since I didn't keep notes there like I do on My Heritage.

Last edited by Roselvr; 09-06-2020 at 07:50 AM..

Old 09-06-2020, 08:51 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Question about DNA matches - Could have sworn someone posted that Ancestry was tightening up their match feature so that some of our matches would end up dropping off. Does anyone know if they did that yet?
My matches under 6cM disappeared on August 30 or 31, except for the ones where I inserted a color code or a note. I had prepared for that. There was a line of text from Ancestry (with with a link to “Learn more”) at the top of my DNA page throughout August alerting to changes to come. One other change was providing the amount of the longest segment which occurred earlier in August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy