Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 03:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Hogwash. More desired than reality.

Texas has had residents who openly speak Spanish, French, German, Czech and many other languages well into the past.
Not hogwash tx East side Houston Texas
1962 - 1972 French and spanish get you harassed and called ugly names male or female
Been there done that I speak both
If you catch me lying on cdf be sure to tell me but not this time hoss

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 09-21-2020 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 04:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
A family story on my mother’s side had our ancestors from NY State being Dutch. Sis did our genealogy, and discovered we were German, from the Palatinate.

Another story about my grandmother omitted the fact that when she immigrated to Canada, she left behind a child born out of wedlock.

In our case, though, the actual stories are more interesting than the stories we were told.

Old 09-22-2020, 12:27 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Not hogwash tx East side Houston Texas
1962 - 1972 French and spanish get you harassed and called ugly names male or female
Been there done that I speak both
If you catch me lying on cdf be sure to tell me but not this time hoss
Ok, hoss.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:12 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Geneology sites make money by selling a lie to most people
The lie that "we can dig for information and tell you who all your ancestors are .... and we'll add in there a few royalty people for excitement"

I grew up in a different country and my family kept lots of records about our family
Very likely (99% sure) I'm descendant of one president and also descendant of the sister of another president.

1. I know it's possible that it's all BS
2. If it's actually true, that doesn't change my life or who I am at all

It's cool to know, but I'm not going to pay anybody for that information.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:26 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Geneology sites make money by selling a lie to most people
The lie that "we can dig for information and tell you who all your ancestors are .... and we'll add in there a few royalty people for excitement"
Genealogy sites make money by offering genealogy services (records, family tree building, sometimes DNA, etc).

No company promises to do the research for you and "tell you" who your ancestors are - unless you're hiring a professional genealogist, of course, but then the research should be reliable and not a "lie". They might try to entice people by advertising cases where people did find a connection to royalty, but it's your own fault if you assume that will be the case for you, and a pro isn't going to give you a lie, not intentionally anyway (everyone is fallible, even pros from time to time).

There are sites like Relative Finder, which try to link up your tree with famous relatives, and they may not always be accurate because they are based on crowd sourced trees which can be riddled with errors, but they are generally free so no one is "selling" a lie.

Quote:
It's cool to know, but I'm not going to pay anybody for that information.
Genealogy is not for everyone, but why then are you posting in a genealogy forum? And why do you think you know how genealogy sites that cost money work if you've never explored them?

Old 09-22-2020, 09:12 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

No company promises to do the research for you and "tell you" who your ancestors are - unless you're hiring a professional genealogist, of course, but then the research should be reliable and not a "lie".
That is mostly true but one exception is the latest beta "StoryScout" thing on Ancestry. You do have to make an effort to enter a basic family tree but then they will try to tell you how your ancestors fit into the historical context -- suffragettes, labor movement, home ownership, etc. None of that is necessarily specific to your ancestors. My gr-grandfather was a "laborer" on the census of 1880 (where they picked up the employment factoid that they ran with) but he was not likely working in any legal enterprise. I suspect he was part of the Irish street gangs and extortion squads that ran the city. I'm waiting for Ancestry to add "thug" and "gang member" as a StoryScout episode.

Old 09-22-2020, 12:14 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,652 times
Default Right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There are many people that are surprised when they really do a proper ancestry search.

My grandmother for one. Her husband was named Dimmit so he in her opinion was French. Actually he was a descendent of Peter De Mitt who was Dutch, and when he came to this country, the recorder of his arrival changed it to Dimmit and all Dimmit's are from that one ancestor and he was Dutch.

My grandmother was herself a Post so she had to be English coming down from the Executive Officer at Ft in Colonies, named Post Actually he was a Dutch immigrant named Van Der Post that dropped the Van Der when he joined the English Army. And his wife was Dutch.

Kind of angered my grandmother to be shown what she had thought was facts for nearly 70 years at the time, when she was shown the truth.
My dad thought we were germans. Actually Irish arrived in the USA circa 1519.

Old 09-22-2020, 12:28 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
My dad thought we were germans. Actually Irish arrived in the USA circa 1519.
1519? Before the Mayflower in 1620?

Old 09-22-2020, 01:51 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
1519? Before the Mayflower in 1620?

Old 09-23-2020, 08:58 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
That is mostly true but one exception is the latest beta "StoryScout" thing on Ancestry. You do have to make an effort to enter a basic family tree but then they will try to tell you how your ancestors fit into the historical context -- suffragettes, labor movement, home ownership, etc. None of that is necessarily specific to your ancestors. My gr-grandfather was a "laborer" on the census of 1880 (where they picked up the employment factoid that they ran with) but he was not likely working in any legal enterprise. I suspect he was part of the Irish street gangs and extortion squads that ran the city. I'm waiting for Ancestry to add "thug" and "gang member" as a StoryScout episode.
Telling you how your ancestors (that you filled in) fit into the historical context isn't the same thing as telling you who your ancestors actually were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy