U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 04:20 PM

11 posts, read 7,775 times

Advertisements

Yea i see alot of matches on that level having the same 5th great grandparent. I was thinking since i'm African-American with some Spanish dna, I assume it took place in Puerto Rico since much of European DNA found in African-Americans can be traced back to before the Civil War and to the rape of slave women.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 06:49 PM

4,154 posts, read 7,940,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruciallyraport View Post
Yea i see alot of matches on that level having the same 5th great grandparent. I was thinking since i'm African-American with some Spanish dna, I assume it took place in Puerto Rico since much of European DNA found in African-Americans can be traced back to before the Civil War and to the rape of slave women.
Or/and New Orleans, since the Spanish had reign there during the later 1700s and very early 1800s.

Does your 23andme timeline for 100% Spanish ancestor agree with your research? If you score 1.7% but it indicates your last full ancestor was no later than the early to mid-1700s, then more than likely you carry Spanish ancestry from more than one ancestor or branch of your paternal/maternal line.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:37 PM

11 posts, read 7,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Or/and New Orleans, since the Spanish had reign there during the later 1700s and very early 1800s.

Does your 23andme timeline for 100% Spanish ancestor agree with your research? If you score 1.7% but it indicates your last full ancestor was no later than the early to mid-1700s, then more than likely you carry Spanish ancestry from more than one ancestor or branch of your paternal/maternal line.
Yea it does. It say this person was born between 1720-1840.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:11 PM

6,826 posts, read 9,578,497 times
There is such a thing as one brother sent or migrated to one place and another to another place. Same with cousins, nieces, etc. Any of their descendants are related to each other and it has nothing more to do with anything other than one ancestor went one way and another went the other way. It has been like that since the very beginning.

In fact, a good example is that many of the Spanish conquistadors were related to each other. Hernan Cortés conquered México (and was quite a womanizer in no small part encouraged by his uncommon good looks starting with his native place of Spain and everywhere else he lived -modern Dominican Republic, Cuba, and of course Mexico-), Francisco Pizarro conquered Perú, etc. Hernán Cortés full name was Hernán Cortés Pizarro, as in related to Francisco conqueror of Perú. Guess what that means for all the descendants of Hernán and Francisco (and others, for example Hernán was slso related to the Spanish governor of Santo Domingo Fray Nicolás de Ovando).

Related people scattered all over the place. Add to that several new generations created by their descendants, migration patterns, etc and its a no brainer that someone somewhere in the USA is related to someone in Puerto Rico even though the first one has no knowledge of anyone of Puerto Rican heritage in their family tree and the Puerto Rican has no knowledge of someone with American heritage in their ancestry.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Same, though I get just 0.3%(but 1% North Africa on AncestryDNA). I believe 23andme has gotten more accurate with the timelines, at least pertaining to certain European ancestry for me, because at first they had my British & Irish ancestor born 3-5 generations ago to now saying 5-8 generations ago (1750-1840) after recent update. As it pertains to my maternal side(lack info on my paternal side), my research has place my last British&Irish descendant ancestors born in the late 1700s and early 1800s. For the majority of African-Americans, the last wave of European that has enter into our genome was in the early 1860s, and for greater portion of us likely nearly a generation before the Civil War. For Iberian ancestry in particular, for those African-Americans that have it, it makes sense it entered into the lineage even earlier, as they were some of the first settlers or colonist. New Orleans and other lower southern areas were the main the main ports of entry for the Spanish.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:08 PM

9,670 posts, read 15,177,101 times
Quote:
It says the exact same thing for me for my 1.5% "Greek & Balkan" even though I have no ancestry from those locations. The timelines really don't mean anything. All they're doing is looking at your percentages and approximating how many generations back one ancestor would have been (grandparent = about 25%; great grandparent = about 12.5%; 2nd great grandparent = about 6.25%, etc), and therefore giving a birth year range based on that. You don't even need a tool to do that for you, you can do it yourself with any ethnicity percentage results.

It doesn't mean the ethnicity results are always reliable/accurate, especially at such small percentages. At 23andMe, I also have 1% Spanish/Portuguese results, even though I have no ancestry from either of those places. And like I say, 17 matches with the surname Rodriguez in their tree at AncestryDNA. It doesn't mean anything. I am not saying it can't mean anything in your case, but at the moment, you do not have enough evidence to support that. Like I say, you need to find an actual ancestor your Puerto Rican matches (matches who are not closely related to each other) have in common with each other before you can assume there's even anything to the idea that you have Puerto Rican or Spanish ancestry.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I believe 23andme has gotten more accurate with the timelines,
If your timeline has gotten more consistent with your tree, it's only because your percentages have gotten more consistent with your tree.

Old 11-01-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If your timeline has gotten more consistent with your tree, it's only because your percentages have gotten more consistent with your tree.
I have now 7.5% British & Irish from 6.6% . I don't think they would've pushed it back to 5-8 generations ago if it was based on percentages. It's based on the number and size of my segments that derive from that particular population, and 23andme detected over three dozen of short and medium size segments that's B&I. It's the same situation with one of my DNA cousins of Mexican and African-American heritage. Iberian ancestor is indicated to have been born between 1730 and 1820, even though she gets 11.4%(of 16.4% Southern European) Iberian. She also has 22.8% Native American, but that too is within the same time frame. Granted, her account hasn't updated but is not uncommon for hispanics.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 11-01-2020 at 05:08 PM..

Old 11-01-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I have now 7.5% British & Irish from 6.6% . I don't think they would've pushed it back to 5-8 generations ago if it was based on percentages. It's based on the number and size of my segments that derive from that particular population, and 23andme detected over three dozen of short and medium size segments that's B&I.
There may be some other factors, but it's primarily the percentages:

"This module uses your Ancestry Composition results to estimate the generation range where you are likely to have had a single relative who descended from a single population."

The point is, it's based on your Ancestry Composition results, which are an estimate, and you shouldn't take them literally, especially small percentages. This is a well known fact. If the Ancestry Composition is wrong, the timeline means nothing.

Quote:
It's the same situation with one of my DNA cousins of Mexican and African-American heritage. Iberian ancestor is indicated to have been born between 1730 and 1820, even though she gets 11.4%(of 16.4% Southern European) Iberian. She also has 22.8% Native American, but that too is within the same time frame. Granted, her account hasn't updated but is not uncommon for hispanics.
Okay, but the OP does not have the same background that your cousins do. Having 1.7% Spanish in ethnicity results and some DNA matches who have partially Spanish ancestry does not mean the OP has Hispanic ancestry.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:44 PM

746 posts, read 618,884 times
What degree of likely kinship does the match show? "Possible third to distant cousin" is useless to establish a relationship unless you share a Y chromosome or at least metachondrial DNA. With the subject being female, she would have to have a male sibling tested for the Y chromosome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy