U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2020, 01:33 PM
 
10 posts, read 6,478 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I have matches from Puerto Rico, but one match in particular is 9cM. she is 90% Spanish 4% Taino and 6% African. She also has a cousin who matches me at 18cM. I have 75% African, the rest is English and German ancestry but I have a small amount of Spanish blood.

I took a look at her family tree and her 2nd great-grandmother Eugenia Rodriguez y Gonzalez was born a slave in Arecibo in 1818. Eugenia's half sister Tomasa Rodriguez was also born a slave in 1835. Their slave owner name is Carlos Federico Storer y Weyle. They both have the same father with surname Rodriguez but no info on the first name.

Tomasa married and man name Juan-Del-Olmo-Rodriguez who is a descendant of Antonio de los Reyes Correa Rodriguez, who was the largest slave holder in Arecibo during the years of 1708 through 1757. Some of his descendants were slave holders in Loiza. It is said that a crown decree from Spain in the 1600s, instructed slaves to be sent to the region of Loíza. Many people believe this might account for the high ratio of Black people in Loíza.

Could it be that i'm related to her through the enslaved line of her family and the Rodriguez slave holders?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2020, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Fields of gold
1,360 posts, read 1,003,484 times
Reputation: 3022
Looks that way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2020, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,609 posts, read 15,048,493 times
Reputation: 12598
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruciallyraport View Post
I have matches from Puerto Rico, but one match in particular is 9cM. she is 90% Spanish 4% Taino and 6% African. She also has a cousin who matches me at 18cM. I have 75% African, the rest is English and German ancestry but I have a small amount of Spanish blood.

I took a look at her family tree and her 2nd great-grandmother Eugenia Rodriguez y Gonzalez was born a slave in Arecibo in 1818. Eugenia's half sister Tomasa Rodriguez was also born a slave in 1835. Their slave owner name is Carlos Federico Storer y Weyle. They both have the same father with surname Rodriguez but no info on the first name.

Tomasa married and man name Juan-Del-Olmo-Rodriguez who is a descendant of Antonio de los Reyes Correa Rodriguez, who was the largest slave holder in Arecibo during the years of 1708 through 1757. Some of his descendants were slave holders in Loiza. It is said that a crown decree from Spain in the 1600s, instructed slaves to be sent to the region of Loíza. Many people believe this might account for the high ratio of Black people in Loíza.

Could it be that i'm related to her through the enslaved line of her family and the Rodriguez slave holders?
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion - how are you related to any of these people? The only thing you've said about your own ancestry is what your ethnicity results say.

Rodriguez is a pretty common name, so I'm not sure you can assume that slaves with that surname are offspring/descended from a slave owner with the same surname. I don't know how slavery worked in Puerto Rico, but in the US, it was common for slaves to use the surname of their former slave owner even if they weren't the child of/descended from them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2020, 04:27 PM
 
10 posts, read 6,478 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion - how are you related to any of these people? The only thing you've said about your own ancestry is what your ethnicity results say.

Rodriguez is a pretty common name, so I'm not sure you can assume that slaves with that surname are offspring/descended from a slave owner with the same surname. I don't know how slavery worked in Puerto Rico, but in the US, it was common for slaves to use the surname of their former slave owner even if they weren't the child of/descended from them.
I don't know how i'm related to them. I came up with that conclusion because i'm mostly of African descent and have a small amount of Spanish and the common surname of the people I match with is Rodriguez.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2020, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,609 posts, read 15,048,493 times
Reputation: 12598
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruciallyraport View Post
I don't know how i'm related to them. I came up with that conclusion because i'm mostly of African descent and have a small amount of Spanish and the common surname of the people I match with is Rodriguez.
The match you reference has 6% African though, so you don't know that your shared DNA isn't coming from that.

I'm not saying it isn't possible that your shared DNA is coming from the Rodriguez surname, but the name is common enough that you can't make that assumption, especially if you haven't even confirmed that you do indeed have ancestry from Latin America, much less specifically Puerto Rico. The ethnicity report is very reliable on a continental level, but regional results are speculative, especially when it's a "small amount" - how much is it exactly? If it's 1-2%, it could easily be noise, or even if it's more, it could be coming from a neighboring region and not actually even be Spanish at all.

As a comparison, I have 17 DNA matches with the surname Rodriguez in their trees, but I have no known Latin American ancestry, and most of my tree has been researched back to the 1700s.

The only legitimacy in this assumption would be if you are finding several DNA matches who are all descended from that same Rodriguez family/ancestors. Then you might be onto something. But a surname alone means nothing, especially when it's a very common surname, and especially when you don't even know you have ancestry in Puerto Rico.

Lastly, also keep in mind that shared segments below 15 cM do have some increasing chances of not being identical by descent (basically a false positive match). A 9 cM segment has about a 20% chance of not being identical by descent, so there is some chance (not a big one) that this match is a false positive to begin with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2020, 05:11 PM
 
Location: The High Desert
10,304 posts, read 5,523,009 times
Reputation: 19293
You say "I have matches from Puerto Rico..." Would that be many or just a few? Is Rodriguez a frequent or common name among your matches or their family trees?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2020, 06:20 PM
 
10 posts, read 6,478 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The match you reference has 6% African though, so you don't know that your shared DNA isn't coming from that.

I'm not saying it isn't possible that your shared DNA is coming from the Rodriguez surname, but the name is common enough that you can't make that assumption, especially if you haven't even confirmed that you do indeed have ancestry from Latin America, much less specifically Puerto Rico. The ethnicity report is very reliable on a continental level, but regional results are speculative, especially when it's a "small amount" - how much is it exactly? If it's 1-2%, it could easily be noise, or even if it's more, it could be coming from a neighboring region and not actually even be Spanish at all.

As a comparison, I have 17 DNA matches with the surname Rodriguez in their trees, but I have no known Latin American ancestry, and most of my tree has been researched back to the 1700s.

The only legitimacy in this assumption would be if you are finding several DNA matches who are all descended from that same Rodriguez family/ancestors. Then you might be onto something. But a surname alone means nothing, especially when it's a very common surname, and especially when you don't even know you have ancestry in Puerto Rico.

Lastly, also keep in mind that shared segments below 15 cM do have some increasing chances of not being identical by descent (basically a false positive match). A 9 cM segment has about a 20% chance of not being identical by descent, so there is some chance (not a big one) that this match is a false positive to begin with.
I have 1% on Ancestry, 1.7% on 23andme and less than 2% North African/Middle East (could be Spanish) on FTDNA.

This cousin is a dna match to me on Ancestry and FTDNA. On FTDNA we match on the 6th Chromosome.

Her first cousin is a dna match to me on 23andme on the 6th Chromosome in the same spot, but he shares 18 cM with me. I have 2 more cousins who share the same segment on the 6th chromosome with me and both are 18 cM. One of the cousins said her father is from PR and his last name is Rodriguez. The other cousin is from New Orleans with mostly African descent with 2.1% Spanish

So all 5 of us share the same segment on the 6th chromosome. 3 of those cousins are from Puerto Rico.
I compared our segment below on 23andMe.

Is it because of rape/slavery that I'm related to this person?-segment-6.jpg
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2020, 06:22 PM
 
10 posts, read 6,478 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
You say "I have matches from Puerto Rico..." Would that be many or just a few? Is Rodriguez a frequent or common name among your matches or their family trees?
I have many. Also more on Gedmatch. and yes Rodriguez is a frequent name among those matches.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2020, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,609 posts, read 15,048,493 times
Reputation: 12598
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruciallyraport View Post
I have 1% on Ancestry, 1.7% on 23andme and less than 2% North African/Middle East (could be Spanish) on FTDNA.

This cousin is a dna match to me on Ancestry and FTDNA. On FTDNA we match on the 6th Chromosome.

Her first cousin is a dna match to me on 23andme on the 6th Chromosome in the same spot, but he shares 18 cM with me. I have 2 more cousins who share the same segment on the 6th chromosome with me and both are 18 cM. One of the cousins said her father is from PR and his last name is Rodriguez. The other cousin is from New Orleans with mostly African descent with 2.1% Spanish

So all 5 of us share the same segment on the 6th chromosome. 3 of those cousins are from Puerto Rico.
I compared our segment below on 23andMe.

Attachment 224842
They may be identical by descent then, but it still doesn't mean there's any connection with Rodriguez. Your shared ancestry could be from your African ancestry and have nothing to do with Puerto Rico. Rodriguez is apparently the 4th most common surname in PR. Even if you had a known Rodriguez ancestor in your tree, I would still say that doesn't necessarily mean that's how you are related. If I see DNA matches with the surname Smith in their tree, even though I do have a Smith branch in my tree, I never assume that's how we're related unless their Smith ancestors are from the same specific areas that mine are, and even then I won't confirm it until I can identify an actual ancestor we share.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2020, 07:03 PM
 
Location: 5,400 feet
3,573 posts, read 3,177,162 times
Reputation: 5204
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruciallyraport View Post
I have matches from Puerto Rico, but one match in particular is 9cM. she is 90% Spanish 4% Taino and 6% African. She also has a cousin who matches me at 18cM. I have 75% African, the rest is English and German ancestry but I have a small amount of Spanish blood.
9-18 cM could be your third cousins, but that level of match could also be one or more generations further back. I have a match with 15-20 cM on Ancestry who we've matched to our 5-great grandfather.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top