U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 05:23 PM

4,234 posts, read 4,709,287 times

Advertisements

Under common law, people can change their names without any judicial decree. As long as they use the new name consistently and without the intent to commit fraud, the new name IS their "legal" name.
That said, 911 made this method of changing one's name impractical. But before 911? It was not uncommon for our grands to change their names without any legal proceeding.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 07:56 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

39,125 posts, read 25,778,397 times
As you say, since 9/11 . . . if someone is really going to use a name on ID or bank accounts, they have to file a name change request in court.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:58 AM

4,234 posts, read 4,709,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
As you say, since 9/11 . . . if someone is really going to use a name on ID or bank accounts, they have to file a name change request in court.
It depends. I recently received my renewed passport and the middle name is different than the middle name on my RealID drivers license. The letter accompanying the passport acknowledged the difference but, oh well. lol

Old 11-20-2020, 10:41 AM

7,093 posts, read 2,819,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
One other idea--My mom was not given a middle name by her parents, but when she got married she adopted her maiden name as a middle name. Maybe some women did this "unofficially," and would write the initial of their maiden name in the middle name place but didn't have it officially recorded anywhere.

Of course this wouldn't apply to men or in some other situations that have been mentioned, but it's a possibility for some cases.

Many women who were given middle names also adopted the practice of using their given birth surname as their middle name upon marriage. It makes genealogy research more difficult.

Old 11-20-2020, 03:31 PM

10,204 posts, read 6,283,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Many women who were given middle names also adopted the practice of using their given birth surname as their middle name upon marriage. It makes genealogy research more difficult.
True. I'm one of four sisters, all married. Two of us kept our birth middle names and changed our birth surname to the married surname. The other two dropped their middle names and moved their birth surname into the middle name place. There was no real rhyme or reason except that two sisters had always disliked their middle names, and the other two felt no attachment to the birth surname (which was "Smith"--no reason to carry that one on for posterity!)

Old 11-21-2020, 05:34 PM

135 posts, read 144,539 times
My dad and his father did not get along very well. They happened to live in a country with Slavic naming practices where one's middle name is a patronymic indicating who your father was. So when my father became a US citizen he wanted to drop his middle name completely. My mother was so exasperated: "you have to have a middle name!" So my father shortened it to just the initial and he was fine with that for the rest of his life.

Old 11-23-2020, 11:26 PM

1,396 posts, read 856,076 times
I have 3 relatives who have no middle names at all. The man, long gone now, I have no idea if he ever had one but it does not show up anywhere. One of the women adopted Joy as her middle name but I don't know yet if she ever used that legally. Today I was looking at Census records from England and the ones I saw only had first initials, no middle at all and none I saw had any full first names. Are all their records like this? It's the first I've looked at any of theirs.

Old 11-24-2020, 06:27 AM

36,148 posts, read 36,392,301 times
In Israel most people do not have middle names.

Old 11-25-2020, 12:50 PM

830 posts, read 956,700 times
My great aunt in Hot Springs we always called Helen.It wasn't until she died and my dad got a copy of her will, that I learned her REAL first name was Apollonia, and Helen was actually a middle name. She was named for a polish friend of my great grandmother, and being Bavarian Catholics, she was also named for St.Apollonia, patron saint of dentists, as part of her maryterdom, she had all her teeth pulled out.Recall my dad once saying that one of his other aunts (had 6, and two uncles) think it was Great Aunt Josephine, had Polyphemus(one of the greek muses) as a middle name.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:47 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

39,125 posts, read 25,778,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I have 3 relatives who have no middle names at all. The man, long gone now, I have no idea if he ever had one but it does not show up anywhere. One of the women adopted Joy as her middle name but I don't know yet if she ever used that legally. Today I was looking at Census records from England and the ones I saw only had first initials, no middle at all and none I saw had any full first names. Are all their records like this? It's the first I've looked at any of theirs.
They're not all like that. For instance, the 1939 register not only has full names, they've even gone back and added married surnames to women listed under their maiden names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy