U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 10:06 PM

1,396 posts, read 855,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
They're not all like that. For instance, the 1939 register not only has full names, they've even gone back and added married surnames to women listed under their maiden names.

Well that'll be helpful. I had no idea if I was looking at the right person or not!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 11:29 AM

7,093 posts, read 2,818,628 times
Another issue I came across with middle names involved my own mother. Her parents had registered her birth with a middle name that was never later used. It was put on her birth certificate. The story is that her parents weeks after her birth had a change of mind and went with another middle name which she then used throughout the rest of her life.

These differences became an issue when I applied for my first passport. My first problem was a typo on my own birth certificate for my mother's maiden name with one letter being off (a D was typed instead of a G). To fix this, I had to get and use her birth certificate which had the correct maiden name spelling but also the middle initial which she never actually used. I had to include an explanation of all this with my passport application.

My genealogy research has shown me that old old record keeping was rife with errors and practices and traditions of the past often did not necessarily follow the legal norms of today.

Last edited by MMS02760; 11-28-2020 at 12:31 PM..

Old 11-28-2020, 11:56 AM

15,800 posts, read 24,582,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Another issue I came across with middle names involved my own mother. Her parents had registered her birth with a middle name that was never later used. It was put on her birth certificate. The story is that her parents weeks after her birth had a change of mind and went with another middle name which she then used throughout the rest of her life.

These differences became an issue when I applied for my first passport. My first problem was a typo for my mother's maiden name with one letter being off (a D was typed instead of a G). To fix this, I had to get and use her birth certificate which had the middle initial which she never actually used. I had to include an explanation of all this with my passport application.

My genealogy research has shown me that old old record keeping was rife with errors and practices and traditions of the past often did not necessarily follow the legal norms of today.
My daughter did similar with my grandson. She decided the name she picked was no good, started calling him another name but with the same letter. Thankfully he knows what his real middle name is and why my daughter doesn't use it. He has a brother with the same name as the one she doesn't use.

Old 02-09-2021, 02:33 PM

253 posts, read 45,697 times
I think middle names are very important in todays digital world to help differentiate and identify oneself's with things like name searches, judgments, defaults and liability.
If you have the same name as another person that defaulted on a loan. credit card,cell phone commitment etc
I know there SSN number to identify individually, but that only available to those with authorized access to it
I have a friend who son has his given name, but they did not bother giving him a second middle name
generally if your going to have a junior or II in your home you would want to use a middle initial distinguish them
So now mail comes to their home in the identical name, they cant separate who its intended for

Old 02-09-2021, 03:29 PM

261 posts, read 29,152 times
In my family, middle names are usually Godparent's name.

Old 02-09-2021, 03:36 PM

13,431 posts, read 12,289,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLaRock1 View Post
I think middle names are very important in todays digital world to help differentiate and identify oneself's with things like name searches, judgments, defaults and liability.
If you have the same name as another person that defaulted on a loan. credit card,cell phone commitment etc
I know there SSN number to identify individually, but that only available to those with authorized access to it
I have a friend who son has his given name, but they did not bother giving him a second middle name
generally if your going to have a junior or II in your home you would want to use a middle initial distinguish them
So now mail comes to their home in the identical name, they cant separate who its intended for
Plenty of people in the country have the same name. Any idea how many Mary Smiths there are? Even names not as common like Steve Thompson. Middles names tend to be very common names. I have at least 8 family members with the middle name Ann/Anne and at least 3 with Elizabeth. Judgments and defaults are attached to your social security number. Names on the internet are meaningless. My names (ALL of them) have been butchered, rearranged, turned in initials, etc. It's like a joke.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:51 PM

15 posts, read 3,533 times
My x didn't have a middle name. Some agency made one up or you had to write NMN, hassle.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:23 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

39,125 posts, read 25,778,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
In my family, middle names are usually Godparent's name.
Good idea.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My dad, born in 1922, did not care for his first name and was always called by his middle name or a shortened version of it. When he joined the Navy during WWII he tried to ditch the first name altogether, enlisting as (Middle Name) (No Middle Initial) (Last Name). After he came home from the war he just switched his first and middle names and used the initial for his original first name. At least we always knew what the original first name is.

I've noticed a lot of people used to switch their first and middle names. They could just make the change and move forward. Now they'd probably have to get it changed legally.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
. . . I knew a guy who is named Richard Matthew and went by his middle name. Turns out the reason he went by his middle name is he had four brothers and they were all named Richard and went by their middle names . . .
Apparently long ago in some European cultures some families would name every girl Mary/Marie, their form of the name, and all the boys Joseph and call them all by their middle name. I've heard of people in modern America giving every kid the same middle name, but the same first name these days? Then or now, what a pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy