Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 03:50 PM

662 posts, read 493,254 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever done a Genealogy Project will you trace the family histories of almost every person who lives in a town or country?

I think it would an interesting thing to do. My family goes 5 generations in the town and country I live in. It would be fun to see what other families have been here just as long.

I imagine it be very time consuming though! But I always up for a great challenge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 04:52 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,338,813 times
Census records.

Old 11-13-2020, 05:22 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,817,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Has anyone ever done a Genealogy Project will you trace the family histories of almost every person who lives in a town or country?

I think it would an interesting thing to do. My family goes 5 generations in the town and country I live in. It would be fun to see what other families have been here just as long.

I imagine it be very time consuming though! But I always up for a great challenge

I've done something a bit like that. I traced the immigration patterns of people from the small town in Poland that my maternal great grandfather came from.

I created an Excel spreadsheet and entered their immigration data, including name of who they left behind and who they were going to in the U.S.

It helped answer a few questions. I worked on it periodically for years. It made me feel like I was getting to know the people my great grandfather knew.

In fact, I found a few people that were going to my great grandfather's apartment in Manhattan. That proved the story that my Uncle would tell of coming home from school and finding people sleeping in his bed and being told "they just got off the boat." LOL

Of course, a project like that is only feasible in a small town.

Old 11-14-2020, 06:20 AM

23,795 posts, read 33,276,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
I've done something a bit like that. I traced the immigration patterns of people from the small town in Poland that my maternal great grandfather came from.

I created an Excel spreadsheet and entered their immigration data, including name of who they left behind and who they were going to in the U.S.

It helped answer a few questions. I worked on it periodically for years. It made me feel like I was getting to know the people my great grandfather knew.

In fact, I found a few people that were going to my great grandfather's apartment in Manhattan. That proved the story that my Uncle would tell of coming home from school and finding people sleeping in his bed and being told "they just got off the boat." LOL

Sounds very time consuming. Did you ever put it online for others? I'm sure it would be appreciated.

Old 11-14-2020, 08:46 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,752,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post

I've been considering doing this for the small town my Italian ancestors where from - because it's so small, it should be realistic, though still time consuming. The trouble is, everyone there is basically related to everyone else there, which is partly why I want to document all of it (there's been some confusion and merging of individuals so I want to straighten things out), but that's also going to make it difficult. Unfortunately, the town records are only visible from a FHC so the pandemic has put a hold on that idea.

But I've also sort of done this with a specific surname in a specific town in Germany. While researching a particular branch, there's again been some confusion and misidentification of some of my ancestors - the town is small, so everyone with the same surname is very likely related. So although I didn't document the whole town, I did document everyone in the town with that surname.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:13 AM

95 posts, read 100,180 times
I did a genealogy project on the small village in Georgia where the family of my wife's grandfather settled. My original purpose was to untangle the various branches of the family. It was interesting to discover that many of the unrelated families had been neighbors back in Virginia and the Carolinas. I did place some of the information online but it disappeared years ago. Fortunately most of the records are now available online. When I did my project online genealogy was still fairly new. Today it would be a much easier task.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:22 AM

95 posts, read 100,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post

What a great idea! Passenger lists often contain clues. One of my immigrant families is found in both the Hamburg and New York passenger lists with two families bearing the wife's maiden name. Unfortunately the name is very common and in 1868 they weren't including as many details as they did on later lists.

Old 11-14-2020, 12:31 PM

23,795 posts, read 33,276,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersFL View Post
I did a genealogy project on the small village in Georgia where the family of my wife's grandfather settled. My original purpose was to untangle the various branches of the family. It was interesting to discover that many of the unrelated families had been neighbors back in Virginia and the Carolinas. I did place some of the information online but it disappeared years ago. Fortunately most of the records are now available online. When I did my project online genealogy was still fairly new. Today it would be a much easier task.
You should consider making a google site with the information if you still have it typed out. It's very easy to make a google site. I made one for a missing Canadian guy named Allan Kenley Matheson. His family had made a website for him at some point but it was gone by the time I found his case. Back then, it was a lot of money to host a web site. I was able to find a google cache of their site, was able to copy and paste it into the google site, all of the codes transferred too, so that any words that had links, pasted in as linked words.

Old 11-14-2020, 07:31 PM

4,942 posts, read 7,304,528 times
There is a database that is really good for one-place genealogies in Germany (and some other European countries) but the number of places is very limited. I lucked out that my maternal grandfather's line comes from a small town that has been studied, at least it seems all the records from the Lutheran church have been transcribed and compiled back to the late 1500s:

https://ofb.genealogy.net/

Old 11-14-2020, 10:13 PM

15,996 posts, read 10,559,374 times
I have been looking at church records from one old German church in a Missouri village that seems to be the landing place for almost an entire village (or group of villages) that migrated from the 1850s through the 1880s. Early settlers came on the same ships and they later convinced their relatives to come after a few years and settle in the same place. It seems like the gene pool just got up and moved to America and relationships and courtships and marriages just kept going. My 2gr uncles settled there (1855 and 1866) and convinced my gr-grandfather to migrate but he and his brother-in-law decided to settle in St. Louis (1882) so there was sort of a mini-colony in the city that was linked to the country village. There were marriages between the city and country branches of the village group and a city/country support network existed when someone found work in the two different places. I suspect that that is a reasonably common immigrant story of the time.

A similar story might exist with the Mayflower Pilgrims that were part of the Leyden congregation. That is probably one of the most studied and documented groups of people in the country. I have seven ancestors who were on that ship and the gene pool was tiny at first so the surviving families became connected in a variety of ways over the next few generations. If you have one Mayflower ancestor you probably have more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy