U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 04:31 PM

1,991 posts, read 1,212,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Antonio Russo naturalized (became a US citizen) in 1940, so he was still an Italian citizen in 1917/8. The fact that he served in the Italian military in 1917 supports the fact that he did not arrive in the US until 1921, like the passenger list I provided supports, and not in 1910 like the passenger list you provided says.
Thanks. So my info was wrong. Sounds about right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
No, I've done a lot more work - the records confirm that Felicia was married to Pasquale Ferrara/Ferraro before she married Antonio and the children born before 1929 are probably the first husband's kids. Your dad's older siblings were likely half siblings from his mother's previous marriage - I've confirmed that Vincent was definitely the son of Pasquale Ferrara and Felicia Rossetti, but I haven't confirmed that for the other children yet.

I'm adding all this data and records to the FS tree: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/G3VF-QZB
I never heard that a my grandmother was married before she married my Grandfather Antonio. Is that definitely a fact? As I said, they hid Felicia because she was never a us citizen.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:59 AM

9,665 posts, read 15,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I never heard that a my grandmother was married before she married my Grandfather Antonio. Is that definitely a fact? As I said, they hid Felicia because she was never a us citizen.
Yes, her marriage to Antonio was in 1929 and there's another marriage record for her to Pasquale Ferrara in 1914. I've found Vincent, her first known child, in several other records as Ferrara, not Russo, with his father's name as Pasquale. It's not unusual for children from a first marriage to be recorded on the census under the second husband's name.

You can order copies of the full marriage records, if you want to confirm it. But the indexes and other supporting documents are all attached to them in the FS tree, you're welcome to explore them.

Lots of people weren't/aren't US citizens, it doesn't mean they would need to hide from documentation. There is such thing as a legal resident, which was fairly easy to obtain in the early 20th century. My British husband is not a US citizen, but he is a legal US resident, although that is harder to obtain these days.

Lots of families don't talk about their past, for whatever reason. And details they do talk about frequently get misremembered, or misunderstood. I never knew my grandmother had a child that only lived 2 weeks. Or that my grandparents lied about how old they were when they got married. We also believed my grandmother was half Sicilian because her father was from Sicily, but actually, although he was born in Sicily, his father was from mainland Italy. It's normal for things to be different from what you always thought you knew.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:01 AM

Thanks for all for the info about my grandmother. So, during the 21 years of my life that I was in regular contact with her and my dads family, I only know of the following children that she had:

James, Anthony, Margaret, Millie, Jean, Antoinette. There definitely was never anyone else at our nearly weekly getogethers. So, if you find any other children from Felicia, they were either not living in the same NYC area (this family was unbelievably close) or they were ex-communicated.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all for the info about my grandmother. So, during the 21 years of my life that I was in regular contact with her and my dads family, I only know of the following children that she had:

James, Anthony, Margaret, Millie, Jean, Antoinette. There definitely was never anyone else at our nearly weekly getogethers. So, if you find any other children from Felicia, they were either not living in the same NYC area (this family was unbelievably close) or they were ex-communicated.
Vincent moved to New Jersey. I detailed this in his profile.

Here's your full pedigree so far: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...scape/G3VQ-TTG

Noteworthy is the fact that you do have ancestors who had children out of wedlock: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/GHVG-QXR

Ferdinando Raffaele Rossetti and Filippa di Laura/Lauro (I think you're 2nd great grandparents) had a few children out of wedlock in the 1870s/1880s but oddly eventually married in 1894. I'm not sure why they waited so long to marry, except maybe one of them was already married to someone else. I'll keep looking for info on that.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:23 PM

You are unbelievable. You’re like Lt Columbo. You really should do this for a living. I tried for over 10 years and found wrong family members. Thanks again. My seemingly simple family just got more complicated, if there are some born out of wedlock, that would explain why I do not know any of my 2nd cousins. This is fascinating. Is Vincent the only child that Felicia had from her first marriage. If he moved to NJ, the we never saw him again at any of our family get together the next state over. Something must have happened.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
You are unbelievable. You’re like Lt Columbo. You really should do this for a living. I tried for over 10 years and found wrong family members. Thanks again.
Thanks for praise, but it really just takes practice - I've been doing this for about 12 years now, and fortunately I specifically have experience with Italian genealogy so that helps. I have thought about going professional but I worry it'll take all the fun out of it.

Quote:
My seemingly simple family just got more complicated, if there are some born out of wedlock, that would explain why I do not know any of my 2nd cousins. This is fascinating. Is Vincent the only child that Felicia had from her first marriage.
No, I think some of the other children were actually children of Pasquale Ferrara too, I just haven't been able to confirm it yet. I'll keep looking.

Quote:
If he moved to NJ, the we never saw him again at any of our family get together the next state over. Something must have happened.
Not necessarily - my Italian grandmother had 6 siblings, but a couple of them (and some of my cousins) weren't as involved in "the family" as the others. Nothing specific happened, they just weren't around as much and I don't remember meeting them until I was a teen. Some people are just more independent, I think.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:26 AM

15,914 posts, read 24,684,698 times
Quote:
I thought I messaged you last night with all of the info you requested but it seems it never made it to you. I will do it again in a minute. It isn’t that I don’t like the names used on fin$ a grave. I was just saying that the names are simply August and Nancy on their grave markers. I am not sure how the cemetery decides what to put on the stone but since it is a military national cemetery, I would think they would put what they have on record. I agree that it would be important to use their birth name and not just the name they chose to use in America.

Is there a special way to copy a tree to Ancestry or do you mean I should manually type the info in?

Sorry, needed a few days off. My granddaughters DNA finished at Ancestry, I uploaded it to My Heritage too, that processed very fast so I've been working on her DNA matches at both sites. Then I was needed to advocate for a now found missing (since 1989) 14 year old girl. Someone is doing another article about the case. She was in People magazine in September and Dr Oz not long ago.

Mom Searched for Daughter She Placed for Adoption and Uncovered a Killer: 'I Had A Gut Feeling' - Cathy Terkanian connected with online sleuths and reached out to authorities in Michigan about her daughter’s case - People Magazine - September 30, 2020 09:59 AM

Quote:
You are unbelievable. You’re like Lt Columbo. You really should do this for a living. I tried for over 10 years and found wrong family members. Thanks again. My seemingly simple family just got more complicated, if there are some born out of wedlock, that would explain why I do not know any of my 2nd cousins. This is fascinating.

You were looking in the wrong places. Family search as you see is a very valuable public family tree site. Had you known about it, you would have been able to find the built trees that I originally found. I'm glad you added your relatives names to the thread.

Quote:
Is Vincent the only child that Felicia had from her first marriage. If he moved to NJ, the we never saw him again at any of our family get together the next state over. Something must have happened.
They probably did have a falling out. It could be that he never got along with his step father which is very common. You would think he would be at his mother's funeral.

I have time again, so we can work on getting the cemetery information added to the Russo side. I see there's no death info for Felicia, just that she died in 1982. Do you know where she's buried? Same with Antonio Russo, no burial location but it does say he died April 1975 in New York, so whatever you have for him. Then as I was saying, needed info for their kids, we have no death information for any except Anthony Jr. We have Anthony Jr's death info but not burial info.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:38 PM

Wow. Maybe we will see you on tv with that missing girl info. I was on Family Search for years but never really got anywhere. Should I take all of my info from Ancestry tree and transfer to Family Search?

I have cemetery I for for Anthony Jr (my dad) and will add it. I have nothing for my grandparents but those years of death are correct. I need to order their death certificates. I think you mentioned that Antonio and Felicia married in 1929. My dad was born that year. I think he was the youngest. Either all of his siblings that I kk ew were either setup siblings or were at least born out of wedlock. I guess I would need all of their birth certificates to find out.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:47 PM

I see some wrong info on Family Search. I won’t change anything until I defer to you. My father had siblings. For the 21 years I saw them with some regularity, they are as follows:

Anthony (dad)
Margaret
Millie
James
Clara
Jean

When I look at his siblings, I see Mike. My dad had one brother. Mike was married to Jean. There is also John, but he was married to My aunt Margie. So, it looks like they are adding his in laws as his blood relatives,p by mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy