U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 08:04 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,260,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure that's correct. My maternal grandparents were from Norway and Sweden. My paternal grandparents were from the South of France near the Spanish border. I am 4% Irish, I'm quite sure it's not an artifact nor did it come from my French Basque grandparents. Ireland was invaded by Vikings for 200 years, some settled in Ireland and married Irish women and there were large numbers of Irish women who were returned to Scandinavia as slaves. Travel between Ireland and Scandinavia was common so the Irish have high levels of Viking DNA and conversely a good number of Scandinavians have Irish DNA.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/iris...h-dna-22693890
It IS an artifact. You should read how these companies do their analysis. The reference panels aren't big enough to get statistically accurate results in the low percent range.

It's also rather irrelevant, IMHO. There was enough genetic mixing in northern Europe, even more than elsewhere in Europe (because of ease of transportation by water) that no northern European population is genetically "pure".

I'll step out of this debate now. Think what you will, and enjoy the fun, because genealogy should be fun! And interesting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 09:23 AM

9,665 posts, read 15,152,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
It IS an artifact. You should read how these companies do their analysis. The reference panels aren't big enough to get statistically accurate results in the low percent range.
I don't think it's because reference panels aren't big enough, I think it's because there's too much genetic overlap among neighboring regions. It actually seems the bigger the reference panel gets, the more overlap it shows, the more it become obvious there's not enough genetic distinction to always tell them apart.

Old Today, 08:39 PM

6,790 posts, read 9,549,662 times
This is not my personal experience, but it's definitely an amazing story that involves a 23andme test. Good thing they have a video or you can read the story.

Best Friends Who Bonded Over Being Adopted Find Out They Are Biological Sisters After Taking DNA Test

https://www.insideedition.com/best-f...ter-taking-dna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy