U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2021, 03:58 AM
 
Location: NJ
18,138 posts, read 26,270,553 times
Reputation: 19117

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I did my ancestry DNA today and will mail it in tomorrow. I am so anxious to know why I look the way I do.
So I am Native Swedish, born and raised. My parents are also born and raised in Sweden and so are both my grandparents and their parents. And most likely beyond that. Nobody on either side have claimed to know of anybody that came from outside Sweden. they already research possibilities such as Sami and something else I don't remember the name of it.
Both my parents came from rural parts of the country. My dad is from the most Sothern part of Sweden and my mom from the middle part of the country.
Here is the thing. I have medium brown hair and light brown eyes and a olive-skin complexion. My mom is the same way. We are the odd balls in our family and it drives me crazy because nobody can explain why.
I hope that ancestry maybe can shed some light on my mystery because I would love to find out why I look different than the rest of the family.
I would also like to find out if anybody is in a similar situation like me and what they found out once they got their results back. Please share your experience!
You're right behind my granddaughters test. I mailed hers about a week before Christmas, took a long time to get there. It's taken a long time for them to update it after getting the test. I finally had an email the other day that it's processing (1/19) and will take 2 to 4 weeks, approximately February 6 to 9th. What stage is yours at?

By the way, my old mail lady finally did her DNA. She has relatives in Sweden that she visits. She was shocked to find out she's mostly Irish with like 10% Swedish lol I told her she needs her siblings to do the test too to get a better picture of what her parents actually were. She doesn't look Irish
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2021, 02:06 PM
 
196 posts, read 122,871 times
Reputation: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It was mid 1800s, so it would have been quite a few generations ago.

As far as the Irish relatives go, my great grandparents actually came from what is now Northern Ireland and we know where they lived. So, the 3% is for sure inaccurate.
Sounds like your ancestors were actually Ulster Scots - from Scotland, emigrated to Northern Ireland, then to the US. It's the same in my family - they were in Ireland for three generations but they were Ulster Scots. That's your 27% Scotland. This would be way more debatable as an error if they were from elsewhere in Ireland than Northern Ireland.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2021, 01:44 PM
 
2,200 posts, read 1,367,953 times
Reputation: 4197
I got no surprises. Grand parents from Sicily and Naples. What do you know? I’m 93% Italian, 6% Greece and 1% Mediterranean. All pretty much the dame. Some people have asked if I was Russian or Polish so I was curious. I got no useful dna matches. A bunch of 4th cousin or higher and a few 2nd cousins. None responded to me so I cannot verify who they are. Overall, I am not impressed. If nothing else, I know what I always knew, which is that am basically 100% Italian. Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2021, 01:16 AM
 
Location: NJ
18,138 posts, read 26,270,553 times
Reputation: 19117
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I got no surprises. Grand parents from Sicily and Naples. What do you know? I’m 93% Italian, 6% Greece and 1% Mediterranean. All pretty much the dame. Some people have asked if I was Russian or Polish so I was curious. I got no useful dna matches. A bunch of 4th cousin or higher and a few 2nd cousins. None responded to me so I cannot verify who they are. Overall, I am not impressed. If nothing else, I know what I always knew, which is that am basically 100% Italian. Good luck.
Shame your matches didn't answer. 2nd cousins share great grandparents, so could 4th but depending on age, they could be the kids of your 2nd cousins like what happened on my mother's fathers side. The 2nd and 3rd cousin matches were my mothers mothers line. It's really not hard.

Is this on Ancestry? It will show if they read your message or not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2021, 10:46 AM
 
2,200 posts, read 1,367,953 times
Reputation: 4197
Well, my parents split when I was around 10. My mother and her entire side are gone. I haven’t spoken to my fathers side since and would imagine most are gone. None of them show up so I guess they never did anything like ancestry. I manually filled in everyone I remember. No one has been discovered or found through ancestry. I have 11 2nd cousins, 17 3rd cousins and plenty after that. None of them sound familiar to me. None of them reached out to me nor answered any of my messages. I know nothing more than when I joined. There is nothing else I can do to know any more than I do to go further than both sets of grandparents born in the 1890s. I’m not flying to Italy to research. It isn’t that important to me. I just was hoping joining Ancestry to find more family members but after two years, I haven’t found anyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2021, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,758 posts, read 15,649,798 times
Reputation: 12926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Shame your matches didn't answer. 2nd cousins share great grandparents, so could 4th but depending on age, they could be the kids of your 2nd cousins like what happened on my mother's fathers side. The 2nd and 3rd cousin matches were my mothers mothers line. It's really not hard.

Is this on Ancestry? It will show if they read your message or not.
I've noticed the "Read" timestamp still isn't accurate - it says "read" for all my messages and has the timestamp I sent the message. The newer checkmark seems to be more reliable in showing whether the message has been read or not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2021, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
39,080 posts, read 19,443,764 times
Reputation: 29464
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Well, my parents split when I was around 10. My mother and her entire side are gone. I haven’t spoken to my fathers side since and would imagine most are gone. None of them show up so I guess they never did anything like ancestry. I manually filled in everyone I remember. No one has been discovered or found through ancestry. I have 11 2nd cousins, 17 3rd cousins and plenty after that. None of them sound familiar to me. None of them reached out to me nor answered any of my messages. I know nothing more than when I joined. There is nothing else I can do to know any more than I do to go further than both sets of grandparents born in the 1890s. I’m not flying to Italy to research. It isn’t that important to me. I just was hoping joining Ancestry to find more family members but after two years, I haven’t found anyone.
You can't just rely on matches from other family trees, and those should never be accepted unless you know more than just a name, you need to at least know dates of birth or you will add someone else's grandma sue and end up with a big mess.

Your parents split when you were 10, ok - so do you think they got a divorce? If so look up divorce records on Ancestry see what you can find. If you know your parent's dates of birth you might find birth records giving their parents names. Look at your birth certificate see what info is on it. If you know where your parents lived and it was 1940 or before that, look at the census records, it's amazing what you can find in those. I did my husband's family tree and one of the best resources I found was on Ancestry, they have digital newspapers from Elyria, Ohio when his grandparents lived there. Ancestry is not great for researching European ancestors but you can start a small tree on my heritage and use their resources. Also the Mormon church runs the site familysearch.org. They have a lot of resources, in one case I found a relative by using their records for ship manifests. It's a lot of work but it's rewarding. Keep hunting, it's fun!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2021, 05:39 PM
 
2,200 posts, read 1,367,953 times
Reputation: 4197
My parents split but never got divorced. Father died in 1997 and mom in 2006. I know every immediate relative up to both sets of grandparents. I know maternal grandparents years of birth and death. I know dad’s parents years of death. I have seen ship manifests and census. But again, it just verifies every uncle, aunt and cousin I knew growing up. There are no others. My problem is that it ends there.anything further back than my grandparents being born in the 1890s happened in Italy. All of these 2nd cousins must have been from Italy because there was never a mention of them while I was born. I kept in touch with all of my relatives up til the 1980s when everyone was still alive.

I’m just saying that I learned nothing more than what I always knew through ancestry.com. I guess there is. It much more to find out. I know my dna is all from one area. Outside of going to Italy and looking up records, I don’t see how I will ever find out anything else. I certainly did not add any of my dna matches to my tree but if none of them reply to my messages, what good is it all?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2021, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
39,080 posts, read 19,443,764 times
Reputation: 29464
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
My parents split but never got divorced. Father died in 1997 and mom in 2006. I know every immediate relative up to both sets of grandparents. I know maternal grandparents years of birth and death. I know dad’s parents years of death. I have seen ship manifests and census. But again, it just verifies every uncle, aunt and cousin I knew growing up. There are no others. My problem is that it ends there.anything further back than my grandparents being born in the 1890s happened in Italy. All of these 2nd cousins must have been from Italy because there was never a mention of them while I was born. I kept in touch with all of my relatives up til the 1980s when everyone was still alive.

I’m just saying that I learned nothing more than what I always knew through ancestry.com. I guess there is. It much more to find out. I know my dna is all from one area. Outside of going to Italy and looking up records, I don’t see how I will ever find out anything else. I certainly did not add any of my dna matches to my tree but if none of them reply to my messages, what good is it all?
Try to find old Italian birth, marriage and death records. DNA won't do much to trace your ancestry. It's fun and can lead to some leads but that's about all. I traced my French ancestry back to the 1600s using Church records that have been digitized and are available for free on a website with old records from that part of France.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2021, 08:13 AM
 
Location: NJ
18,138 posts, read 26,270,553 times
Reputation: 19117
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
My parents split but never got divorced. Father died in 1997 and mom in 2006. I know every immediate relative up to both sets of grandparents. I know maternal grandparents years of birth and death. I know dad’s parents years of death. I have seen ship manifests and census. But again, it just verifies every uncle, aunt and cousin I knew growing up. There are no others. My problem is that it ends there.anything further back than my grandparents being born in the 1890s happened in Italy. All of these 2nd cousins must have been from Italy because there was never a mention of them while I was born. I kept in touch with all of my relatives up til the 1980s when everyone was still alive.

I’m just saying that I learned nothing more than what I always knew through ancestry.com. I guess there is. It much more to find out. I know my dna is all from one area. Outside of going to Italy and looking up records, I don’t see how I will ever find out anything else. I certainly did not add any of my dna matches to my tree but if none of them reply to my messages, what good is it all?
You need your great grandparents, so it's their records you should search. One would be their marriage license which should name their parents. I've had good luck on family search for free marriage records.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top