U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2021, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,610 posts, read 15,051,548 times
Reputation: 12604

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Well, my parents split when I was around 10. My mother and her entire side are gone. I haven’t spoken to my fathers side since and would imagine most are gone. None of them show up so I guess they never did anything like ancestry. I manually filled in everyone I remember. No one has been discovered or found through ancestry. I have 11 2nd cousins, 17 3rd cousins and plenty after that. None of them sound familiar to me. None of them reached out to me nor answered any of my messages.
Do none of them have family trees added? I do find it a little odd that you don't recognize even one of your estimates 2nd cousins. I also have 11 estimated 2nd cousins and I recognized 6 of them straight away even if they didn't have trees, I recognized their names. Two of the ones I didn't recognize turned out to be cousins I didn't know I had (because we didn't know a certain cousin had given birth a few times and given them up for adoption), and the rest were cousins from an unknown biological branch (my grandfather's father was not his biological father), which I've now identified (even though none of them responded to me). If you really don't recognize a single one of those 11, I am wondering if something similar might be in your tree - though I guess it's also possible that if you are estranged from your father's side, you may just not know them well enough to recognize them.

Quote:
I know nothing more than when I joined. There is nothing else I can do to know any more than I do to go further than both sets of grandparents born in the 1890s. I’m not flying to Italy to research. It isn’t that important to me. I just was hoping joining Ancestry to find more family members but after two years, I haven’t found anyone.
You don't need to fly to Italy to research. FamilySearch has a ton of Italian civil records available for free in their catalog - though many of them require you be at a Family History Center or affiliate library to access them, there is very probably one near you if you look: https://www.familysearch.org/help/fhcenters/locations/

Additionally, some Italian civil records are available online for free at their State Archives: Home - Antenati

You do need to know where in Italy your ancestors are from, but it sounds like you may need to start with some research in the US anyway. The DNA test does not hand you your family tree on a platter, you still need to do work and research - DNA is just one additional research tool.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2021, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,610 posts, read 15,051,548 times
Reputation: 12604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Try to find old Italian birth, marriage and death records. DNA won't do much to trace your ancestry. It's fun and can lead to some leads but that's about all. I traced my French ancestry back to the 1600s using Church records that have been digitized and are available for free on a website with old records from that part of France.
The Catholic church in Italy is very reluctant to have their records digitized - it's rare when Italian church records can be found online. Most people with Italian ancestry mainly only have access to civil records, which are fortunately well digitized but only go back to 1809 at the earliest. Some of them contain copies of church records as supporting documents which go back further, but only to about the late 1700s. For church records, Italians have to request copies of individual documents through the mail, and the request has to be in Italian and there's no assurance you'll get a response. It's really frustrating.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2021, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
9,703 posts, read 9,533,481 times
Reputation: 8952
Need help activating Ancestry DNA kit.

I bought my wife the 3rd tier ($99 on sale) kit for Christmas. She is age 75 and not tech savvy, so is having a very tough time trying to get it activated online on our desktop computer.

It will not let her sign in, it says her password doesn’t work and it will not take her credit card it asked for, so she is very stressed and almost crying in frustration. I am no help.

Can anyone please walk us through this crazy maze?

Edited to add:
She finally got signed in via the mobile phone app it said to download.
Where does she go from there... answer the whole bunch of questions, than what?

Last edited by ScoPro; 01-25-2021 at 11:42 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2021, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
9,703 posts, read 9,533,481 times
Reputation: 8952
Ok, never mind, she got it done.
Is it too early for a glass of wine?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2021, 01:36 PM
 
Location: NJ
15,457 posts, read 24,402,400 times
Reputation: 15167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Need help activating Ancestry DNA kit.

I bought my wife the 3rd tier ($99 on sale) kit for Christmas. She is age 75 and not tech savvy, so is having a very tough time trying to get it activated online on our desktop computer.

It will not let her sign in, it says her password doesn’t work and it will not take her credit card it asked for, so she is very stressed and almost crying in frustration. I am no help.

Can anyone please walk us through this crazy maze?

Edited to add:
She finally got signed in via the mobile phone app it said to download.
Where does she go from there... answer the whole bunch of questions, than what?
I know you don't need it any more but the easiest way is go to Ancestry.com, at the top DNA, activate DNA. It asks if you want to continue as "your name" click yes, Enter the 15-digit activation code located on your collection tube shows.

You can only activate one adult DNA kit per email addy. If you were to do it, you'd have to activate it under your own email then allow her to run it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2021, 01:59 PM
 
Location: NJ
15,457 posts, read 24,402,400 times
Reputation: 15167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You need your great grandparents, so it's their records you should search. One would be their marriage license which should name their parents. I've had good luck on family search for free marriage records.
I should have specified you need your grandparents marriage licenses which usually list their parents names. Once you have that, your matches should make more sense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2021, 04:35 PM
 
1,921 posts, read 1,175,871 times
Reputation: 3589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I should have specified you need your grandparents marriage licenses which usually list their parents names. Once you have that, your matches should make more sense.
Thanks for all of the information. As I said, my grandparents came to America in the early 1900s. So, there is nothing beyond them in this country. Since my parents and grandparents are dead, I will never get my hands on their marriage license because all of them were married in Italy before they came to America. I definitely know and remember everyone relative I had while growing up. We went to visit them nearly every week for the first ten years of my life. Of course there could be some one off thing I am away per of but they were a big family, really close, and all lived on the same street or even the same building as each other.

I will look at the other resources but not sure it will lead to anything. I have seen ship manifests and cant find my mothers parents. I can’t find anything about my dads mother. I gotta look at some documents I was able to download.

There is one name that is familiar. I remember the name of the dr that delivered me at births last name and it is the same as the woman that is in my tree. I guess that doctor was related to someone in the family. I emailed her my story and never heard back. No one else is slightly familiar and I remember everyone. Very confusing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2021, 05:16 PM
 
3,399 posts, read 2,217,752 times
Reputation: 4075
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Thanks for all of the information. As I said, my grandparents came to America in the early 1900s. So, there is nothing beyond them in this country. Since my parents and grandparents are dead, I will never get my hands on their marriage license because all of them were married in Italy before they came to America. I definitely know and remember everyone relative I had while growing up. We went to visit them nearly every week for the first ten years of my life. Of course there could be some one off thing I am away per of but they were a big family, really close, and all lived on the same street or even the same building as each other.

I will look at the other resources but not sure it will lead to anything. I have seen ship manifests and cant find my mothers parents. I can’t find anything about my dads mother. I gotta look at some documents I was able to download.

There is one name that is familiar. I remember the name of the dr that delivered me at births last name and it is the same as the woman that is in my tree. I guess that doctor was related to someone in the family. I emailed her my story and never heard back. No one else is slightly familiar and I remember everyone. Very confusing.
Have you looked for/at death certificates? All the ones I have, from several different states, list parents of the dead person. The listings are not always accurate, because they depend on the memories of the living (I don't know of anyone who pre-fills their own death certificate...) but they're a start.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2021, 08:21 PM
 
1,921 posts, read 1,175,871 times
Reputation: 3589
I have never been able to find any death certificates. I just searched for my grandmother and there are zero results despite me knowing her name, dob, death date in 1980, where she is buried. Nothing. Absolutely nothing here in any. It’s not like I am searching for my great great grandfather from the 1750. This is someone in recent history in a well documented state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2021, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,610 posts, read 15,051,548 times
Reputation: 12604
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Ok, never mind, she got it done.
Is it too early for a glass of wine?
Never! I just blame the pandemic.

I'm glad she got it figured out - in the future, if you have difficulty signing in or activating a kit, it might be best to contact Ancestry's customer support. You can get in touch with them through Facebook, phone, or email.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top