U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 12:11 PM

9,609 posts, read 15,048,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Thanks for all of the information. As I said, my grandparents came to America in the early 1900s. So, there is nothing beyond them in this country. Since my parents and grandparents are dead, I will never get my hands on their marriage license because all of them were married in Italy before they came to America.
Again, many Italian civil records (including marriage records) are available online. Do you know where in Italy they came from? If so, it's very easy to find out if records for that town are available online and I can direct you to them. Not all towns are digitized yet though, and some more recent records (post about 1910ish) aren't available due to privacy. But just because they were married in Italy doesn't mean you'll never get access to their marriage records.

Quote:
I definitely know and remember everyone relative I had while growing up. We went to visit them nearly every week for the first ten years of my life. Of course there could be some one off thing I am away per of but they were a big family, really close, and all lived on the same street or even the same building as each other.
My Italian family was the same growing up, which is why I recognize so many of my close cousins in my DNA match list, and that's why I find it surprising you don't recognize even one of them. Again, do none of them at all have a family tree?

Quote:
I will look at the other resources but not sure it will lead to anything. I have seen ship manifests and cant find my mothers parents. I can’t find anything about my dads mother. I gotta look at some documents I was able to download.
If you want to share your grandparents names and details, plenty of people here would be willing to help and take a look for you.

Quote:
There is one name that is familiar. I remember the name of the dr that delivered me at births last name and it is the same as the woman that is in my tree. I guess that doctor was related to someone in the family. I emailed her my story and never heard back. No one else is slightly familiar and I remember everyone. Very confusing.
Unless it's a very rare surname, you can't assume two people with the same surname are directly related through that surname. You can't assume the woman is related to the doctor that delivered you, or that you're related to that surname.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I have never been able to find any death certificates. I just searched for my grandmother and there are zero results despite me knowing her name, dob, death date in 1980, where she is buried. Nothing. Absolutely nothing here in any. It’s not like I am searching for my great great grandfather from the 1750. This is someone in recent history in a well documented state.
Often, records of more recent people are still under privacy laws and therefore not available online. Certainly, not all records are available online even when they are public. If you can't find a death certificates online, you probably need to order it from the state department of health where the person died. What state did she die in? I can direct you to the right place if I know.

Certainly, the research can be done, the records can be found (and without travelling to Italy), it just sometimes takes more than a quick search on Ancestry.

Old 01-26-2021, 04:12 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,174,367 times
Thanks all. I have been searching since 2005 (in our library that had access to ancestry sites) so it isn’t quick searches that aren’t turning up info. For example, my mother’s parents:

August Albanese (born May 4, 1896. Died Nov 8, 1982) Nancy Rega (born Mar 27, 1897 died June 28, 1980)
I know their three children (mom, uncle and aunt). No idea about their siblings or parents. It all stops there. They are from a Naples area but not sure of the exact city. Both lived snd died in a Brooklyn NY

As. For fathers side, Antonio Russo born approved 1895 and died around 1974 and Grandmother Felicia Rossetti born around 1895 and died in 1982.Both lived and died in NYC area. They came from Sicily.

I have found a couple of census reports and I think my fathers grandfathers ship manifests but there is no mention of my grandmother, who came with him. If anyone can find anything on them, I would be grateful. I only need to find out grandparents siblings and their parents. I know everyone’s children (all of my aunts and uncles). Thanks for anyone’s efforts.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks all. I have been searching since 2005 (in our library that had access to ancestry sites) so it isn’t quick searches that aren’t turning up info. For example, my mother’s parents:
But if it's not on Ancestry, it's still not going to turn up. My point is that you have to search beyond Ancestry, possibly offline altogether.

Quote:
August Albanese (born May 4, 1896. Died Nov 8, 1982) Nancy Rega (born Mar 27, 1897 died June 28, 1980)
I know their three children (mom, uncle and aunt). No idea about their siblings or parents. It all stops there. They are from a Naples area but not sure of the exact city. Both lived snd died in a Brooklyn NY
Censuses show that August did not naturalize, at least not before 1940. If he ever did naturalize after 1940, it would be ideal to order copies of that, which will tell you a lot. You should be able to order it (if it exists) from NARA: https://www.archives.gov/research/im...naturalization

Otherwise, I agree that ordering death certificates might help. NYC has their own department of health that issues vital records - don't go to the NY State Department of Health. This is the NYC Department of Health death certificates info: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/servic...tificates.page

This could be August's passenger list (there's another one from 1911 but the final destination is Chicago so that one seems unlikely):

Name: Agostino Albanese
Arrival Date: 1 Nov 1910
Birth Date: abt 1894
Last Permanent Address: Italy
Other Last Permanent Address: Cottanova
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Napoli
Port of Arrival: New York, New York, USA
Ship Name: Re D Italia

Cottanova is probably actually Cittanova. If this is him, it says his

"Nancy" isn't an Italian name - it looks like from their marriage license her Italian name was Nunziata:

Name: Nunziata Rega
Marriage License Date: 10 Jul 1919
Marriage License Place: Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA
License Number: 1055 6

Name: Augusto Albanese
Marriage License Date: 10 Jul 1919
Marriage License Place: Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA
License Number: 1055 6

And it looks like she was born in NYC, not Italy?

Name: Nunziata C Rega
Birth Date: 27 Mar 1897
Birth Place: Kings, New York, USA
Certificate Number: 4684

Another index of the same record includes parents names:

Name: Nunziata Carmela Rega
Race : White
Birth Date: 27 Mar 1897
Birth Place: Brooklyn, New York City, Kings, New York, USA
Residence Address: North 5th Street 242
Certificate Number: 4684
Father: Angelo Rega
Mother: Angela Rega
Mother Maiden Name: Petraglia

So now you have Nancy's parents names, which I don't think you had before?

I'll have a look at your father's side later, but this should be enough to keep you busy ordering some of these records. Like I say, Ancestry doesn't have everything, even the greater internet doesn't have everything. Some things you still need to order by mail.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:36 AM

792 posts, read 1,168,095 times
Quote:
I have never been able to find any death certificates. I just searched for my grandmother and there are zero results despite me knowing her name, dob, death date in 1980, where she is buried. Nothing. Absolutely nothing here in any. It’s not like I am searching for my great great grandfather from the 1750. This is someone in recent history in a well documented state.
Look up: Vital Records/(State) online.

I've received 2-3 death certificate copies from Louisiana. I filled out a short form and they cost $5.00 each. The person had to have been born 100 years prior to my request. Originally, I just wanted to know how my grandmother died, but it actually set me on the path of genealogy.

From what I understand, not all states are as streamlined as LA though. It's worth a shot. Good luck.

Edited to add that I just read a few of the other responses. Obviously I second the Vital Records thing.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:39 AM

3,399 posts, read 2,216,598 times
Quote:
You contacted the state of death and they had no record?

If you just searched the usual sites online like Ancestry, no surprise you didn't find anything. Many states these days treat birth and death records as non-public records, due to identity theft.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
This could be August's passenger list (there's another one from 1911 but the final destination is Chicago so that one seems unlikely):

Name: Agostino Albanese
Arrival Date: 1 Nov 1910
Birth Date: abt 1894
Last Permanent Address: Italy
Other Last Permanent Address: Cottanova
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Napoli
Port of Arrival: New York, New York, USA
Ship Name: Re D Italia

Cottanova is probably actually Cittanova. If this is him, it says his
Whoops, sorry, I didn't finish this thought - I was going to say if this is the correct record, it gives the name of his father (Domenico) as the name of his nearest relative from back home. So if you order August's death certificate and it says his father was Domenico, this is your guy. On the next page, it includes the name and address of his brother Vincenzo as the person he is travelling to join. Do you know if August had a brother named Vincenzo? You might want to research Vincenzo, that might tell you more. I can't make out the address, the house number is 110. Here's the link if anyone wants to see it, it's line 9: https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer...pId=4011054526

Here's Vincenzo's passenger list - father's name Domenico, last residence Cittanova, so it's the right person: https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...=successSource

The person he's going to meet looks like Cousin Nicola Massone? Or Marsone? Something like that. And the address is 108 Canal? St. I would look for him on the 1910 census at one of these two addresses, if you can work out the first one.

Last edited by PA2UK; 01-27-2021 at 12:34 PM..

Old 01-27-2021, 12:42 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,174,367 times
Thanks everyone. Especially PA2UK! I cannot believe what you uncovered in such a short time. You should be doing this for a living. I owe you. I heard a story that Nancy (I guess actually its Nunziata) was born on the ship over from Italy but that didn't sound right to me. Maybe she was if you say she was born in NYC. I remember August (Grandfather) having two sisters (Lottie and Fillipa?) Any sign of them? I will start looking more outside of Ancestry. I just didn't know where to look.

I have both my mother's and father's death certificates but that just gives me the names I already knew. I wish I knew his cause of death. It is not listed on the death certificate. I wrote to the doctor who signed it. He had an office in NY. I got the letter returned as not being at that address. I searched online and saw a doctor that seemed to be the same guy working in NJ. I wrote to them but never heard back either. It gets frustrating when all leads lead nowhere. But thanks again.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:33 PM

15,447 posts, read 24,395,320 times
Someone started Guss's Tree on family search. I attached the 1930 census where they were living with his parents. They were both born in NY, all parents born in Italy. I'll look at it again when I have time. There's 3 daughter in law's that need attached to the 1930 census here

I asked for edits to their find a grave memorials and to connect them
Guss find a grave
Nancy find a grave

Old 01-27-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. Especially PA2UK! I cannot believe what you uncovered in such a short time. You should be doing this for a living. I owe you. I heard a story that Nancy (I guess actually its Nunziata) was born on the ship over from Italy but that didn't sound right to me. Maybe she was if you say she was born in NYC.
Maybe she was born on the ship but they registered the birth in NYC.

Quote:
I remember August (Grandfather) having two sisters (Lottie and Fillipa?) Any sign of them? I will start looking more outside of Ancestry. I just didn't know where to look.
I haven't, but if you can find Vincenzo in census records, maybe there will be a sign of them.

Quote:
I have both my mother's and father's death certificates but that just gives me the names I already knew.
Yep, and if you order your grandparent's death certificates, that should tell you their parent's (you're great grandparents) names.

Quote:
I wish I knew his cause of death. It is not listed on the death certificate. I wrote to the doctor who signed it. He had an office in NY. I got the letter returned as not being at that address. I searched online and saw a doctor that seemed to be the same guy working in NJ. I wrote to them but never heard back either. It gets frustrating when all leads lead nowhere. But thanks again.
Death certificates should include cause of death until it's been removed for privacy reasons in the copy you have. You might be able to petition for an uncensored version but don't quote me on that, you'd have to look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy