U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2021, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,610 posts, read 15,051,548 times
Reputation: 12604

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Someone started Guss's Tree on family search. I attached the 1930 census where they were living with his parents. They were both born in NY, all parents born in Italy. I'll look at it again when I have time. There's 3 daughter in law's that need attached to the 1930 census here

I asked for edits to their find a grave memorials and to connect them
Guss find a grave
Nancy find a grave
Nunziata is already in the FS tree so you might want to merge them: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/L1F9-449

You're right, all the censuses say August was born in NY, not Italy - I hadn't noticed that. However, it wasn't unheard of for Italians born in the US to make trips back to Italy, so there could still be a passenger list for him. I have an ancestor who was born in Philly, but he and his parents made several trips back and forth to and from Italy.

It looks like August's original name was Cosimo?

Name: Cosimo Albanese
Gender : Male
Race : White
Birth Date: 4 May 1896
Birth Place: Brooklyn, New York City, Kings, New York, USA
Residence Address: Fourth Avenue 252
Certificate Number: 6618
Father: Stephn Albanese
Mother: Mary M Albanese
Mother Maiden Name: Mougoricano

Name: Cosmino Albaniza
[Cosmino Albanesa]
Age: 5
Birth Date: Dec 1894
Birthplace: New York, USA
Home in 1900: Brooklyn Ward 10, Kings, New York
Ward of City: 10th
Street: First Street
House Number: 219
Sheet Number: 41
Number of Dwelling in Order of Visitation: 190
Family Number: 847
Race: White
Gender: Male
Relation to Head of House: Son
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: Stevan Albaniza
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Name: Maria Albanesa
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members Age Relationship
Stevan Albaniza 44 Head
Maria Albanesa 36 Wife
Joseph Albaniza 19 Son
Mamie Albaniza 17 Daughter
Mary Albanesa 14 Daughter

It's not unheard of for Italians to later choose a more English sounding name, especially when there was no English version of their name. I have an Angelo who later went by Charles - because the English version of Angelo is of course Angel, and that's not really a normal name that Americans use. Equally, Cosimo would be Cosmo in English, which isn't common and doesn't sound very English/American (because that variant is also used in Italy), so I could see why he would go with something entirely different like August - it may have been a middle name.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2021, 04:27 PM
 
1,921 posts, read 1,175,871 times
Reputation: 3589
This is amazing stuff. I am sorry if I hijacked the thread. I didn’t mean to. So, both of my mothers parents were born in NY? I never knew that. So, that means that their parents (my great grandparents) lived in NY at least in their adult years. And if my grandfather’s parents were named Stephen and Mary, that makes sense because that is the name of his children, along with my mother. This is mind blowing since I always thought I hit as dead end and I have found out so much in one day. I am going to order my grandparents death certificates. Thanks again to everyone and anyone who took time out of their day to help me. It is greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2021, 05:06 PM
 
1,921 posts, read 1,175,871 times
Reputation: 3589
Hi Pazuk. I’m confused about one thing. In one of your posts, you said that August was not naturalized until around 1940 but in the post above, you acknowledge that he was born in NYC. That would mean he was born a US citizen. That means the older post cannot be correct, right?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2021, 06:27 PM
 
792 posts, read 1,168,262 times
Reputation: 1158
I watch "Finding Your Roots" on PBS. There used to be another genealogy show called "Who Do You Think You Are?"

On both of these shows, you can pick up tips, one of these being why names can change and why people seem to live in one area and than they're somewhere else. These insights helped ease some of my frustrations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2021, 05:08 AM
 
Location: NJ
15,467 posts, read 24,402,400 times
Reputation: 15172
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
This is amazing stuff. I am sorry if I hijacked the thread. I didn’t mean to. So, both of my mothers parents were born in NY? I never knew that. So, that means that their parents (my great grandparents) lived in NY at least in their adult years. And if my grandfather’s parents were named Stephen and Mary, that makes sense because that is the name of his children, along with my mother. This is mind blowing since I always thought I hit as dead end and I have found out so much in one day. I am going to order my grandparents death certificates. Thanks again to everyone and anyone who took time out of their day to help me. It is greatly appreciated.

Just please do me a favor and join family search if you haven't already. PA2UK and I have done this for a few people where she finds records on Ancestry, I'll build out a public tree on Family Search that has free records, sometimes they have different records then Ancestry.

We just did this for another poster about a week ago but she's too busy to join family search to even see the tree I spent a lot of time on. I don't mind doing it because I've had people help me. There's a gal historyfan that used to post here, she gave me a lot of help on my son's 2nd great grandfather's parents in England so I'm happy to repay the favor to others in need.

You'll need to hand copy the family search tree onto Ancestry because they don't allow you to download the family tree GEDCOM file which is my biggest peeve about family search. I have a very large tree there. It's where I do all of my work because I don't pay ancestry for records when I can get them free on family search.

With my Ancestry DNA matches, I'll send them the link to my family search tree verses inviting them to my private ancestry tree where they'd be able to click the person to save the branch. If they want my work that bad they'll go to family search and hand copy it in, they can also recheck my work that way.

By the way, with that 2nd profile PA2UK found for Nancy (Annunciata Rega), it gave her parents. I'll be attaching records so you'll probably have more family for her too. It also gave me a 3rd profile for her so they're all merged into one person.

Edit Family search is a public tree site as I said. The way it works is there is one profile per living or deceased person which is why I merged the 3 Nancy profiles. When you build your tree, you have to grab your mother from Nancy's tree if your mother is deceased, if not, add her as a child on Nancy's profile. It will then allow you to add your dad and yourself

Did you give your dad's info yet? I'll build out his side too.

I guarantee you that those DNA matches are descended from people in the tree I'm building you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2021, 05:15 AM
 
Location: NJ
15,467 posts, read 24,402,400 times
Reputation: 15172
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Nunziata is already in the FS tree so you might want to merge them: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/L1F9-449

You're right, all the censuses say August was born in NY, not Italy - I hadn't noticed that. However, it wasn't unheard of for Italians born in the US to make trips back to Italy, so there could still be a passenger list for him. I have an ancestor who was born in Philly, but he and his parents made several trips back and forth to and from Italy.

It looks like August's original name was Cosimo?

Name: Cosimo Albanese
Gender : Male
Race : White
Birth Date: 4 May 1896
Birth Place: Brooklyn, New York City, Kings, New York, USA
Residence Address: Fourth Avenue 252
Certificate Number: 6618
Father: Stephn Albanese
Mother: Mary M Albanese
Mother Maiden Name: Mougoricano

Name: Cosmino Albaniza
[Cosmino Albanesa]
Age: 5
Birth Date: Dec 1894
Birthplace: New York, USA
Home in 1900: Brooklyn Ward 10, Kings, New York
Ward of City: 10th
Street: First Street
House Number: 219
Sheet Number: 41
Number of Dwelling in Order of Visitation: 190
Family Number: 847
Race: White
Gender: Male
Relation to Head of House: Son
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: Stevan Albaniza
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Name: Maria Albanesa
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members Age Relationship
Stevan Albaniza 44 Head
Maria Albanesa 36 Wife
Joseph Albaniza 19 Son
Mamie Albaniza 17 Daughter
Mary Albanesa 14 Daughter

It's not unheard of for Italians to later choose a more English sounding name, especially when there was no English version of their name. I have an Angelo who later went by Charles - because the English version of Angelo is of course Angel, and that's not really a normal name that Americans use. Equally, Cosimo would be Cosmo in English, which isn't common and doesn't sound very English/American (because that variant is also used in Italy), so I could see why he would go with something entirely different like August - it may have been a middle name.
Thanks, Nancy is merged with 3 other profiles now.

I'll get August caught up too. I also have to merge a few other profiles.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2021, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,601 posts, read 8,953,331 times
Reputation: 4099
Albanesa is likely an Arbëreshë name as well, so from Italy but perhaps with deeper Albanian roots. There are Arbëreshë villages in a few different parts of southern Italy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2021, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
9,610 posts, read 15,051,548 times
Reputation: 12604
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Hi Pazuk. I’m confused about one thing. In one of your posts, you said that August was not naturalized until around 1940 but in the post above, you acknowledge that he was born in NYC. That would mean he was born a US citizen. That means the older post cannot be correct, right?
I said IF he naturalized, it was after 1940. But actually, thinking about it now, the censuses had the naturalization field left blank, which would be the case if he was a US citizen. If he was an unnaturalized alien, it would have said Al, for Alien. I wasn't thinking about that because I was stuck on the idea that he was born in Italy, but he wasn't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2021, 12:47 PM
 
Location: NJ
15,467 posts, read 24,402,400 times
Reputation: 15172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Just please do me a favor and join family search if you haven't already. PA2UK and I have done this for a few people where she finds records on Ancestry, I'll build out a public tree on Family Search that has free records, sometimes they have different records then Ancestry.

We just did this for another poster about a week ago but she's too busy to join family search to even see the tree I spent a lot of time on. I don't mind doing it because I've had people help me. There's a gal historyfan that used to post here, she gave me a lot of help on my son's 2nd great grandfather's parents in England so I'm happy to repay the favor to others in need.

You'll need to hand copy the family search tree onto Ancestry because they don't allow you to download the family tree GEDCOM file which is my biggest peeve about family search. I have a very large tree there. It's where I do all of my work because I don't pay ancestry for records when I can get them free on family search.

With my Ancestry DNA matches, I'll send them the link to my family search tree verses inviting them to my private ancestry tree where they'd be able to click the person to save the branch. If they want my work that bad they'll go to family search and hand copy it in, they can also recheck my work that way.

By the way, with that 2nd profile PA2UK found for Nancy (Annunciata Rega), it gave her parents. I'll be attaching records so you'll probably have more family for her too. It also gave me a 3rd profile for her so they're all merged into one person.

Edit Family search is a public tree site as I said. The way it works is there is one profile per living or deceased person which is why I merged the 3 Nancy profiles. When you build your tree, you have to grab your mother from Nancy's tree if your mother is deceased, if not, add her as a child on Nancy's profile. It will then allow you to add your dad and yourself

Did you give your dad's info yet? I'll build out his side too.

I guarantee you that those DNA matches are descended from people in the tree I'm building you.
Cosimo August Agostino "Guss" Albanese and Nunziata "Nancy" Carmela Rega are done. Nancy has a very extensive tree.

Augusts fathers name is Stephano "Steve" Albanese. I need to work on the kids tomorrow, I just attached a 1905 census that added a few kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Thanks all. I have been searching since 2005 (in our library that had access to ancestry sites) so it isn’t quick searches that aren’t turning up info. For example, my mother’s parents:

August Albanese (born May 4, 1896. Died Nov 8, 1982) Nancy Rega (born Mar 27, 1897 died June 28, 1980)
I know their three children (mom, uncle and aunt). No idea about their siblings or parents. It all stops there. They are from a Naples area but not sure of the exact city. Both lived snd died in a Brooklyn NY

As. For fathers side, Antonio Russo born approved 1895 and died around 1974 and Grandmother Felicia Rossetti born around 1895 and died in 1982.Both lived and died in NYC area. They came from Sicily.

I have found a couple of census reports and I think my fathers grandfathers ship manifests but there is no mention of my grandmother, who came with him. If anyone can find anything on them, I would be grateful. I only need to find out grandparents siblings and their parents. I know everyone’s children (all of my aunts and uncles). Thanks for anyone’s efforts.

Antonio Russo
Felicia Rosetti

I worked on them today. I'll have to go back and finish them tomorrow. They were on one of the profiles I worked on today

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-28-2021 at 01:04 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2021, 03:54 PM
 
1,921 posts, read 1,175,871 times
Reputation: 3589
Wow. I really owe both of you and others. What’s can I offer you? If you have any co outer issues, I could remote into your computers and help you out. I am happy with the result but I feel like a mooch with all of this free help. It is invaluable. So, you are saying to join family search and I can see the Trees there? I will do that in a few minutes. Thanks again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top