Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 12:16 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I joined Find A Grave and I cannot find any graves for my paternal grandparent. Both died in NY in 1974 and 1982. I cannot even find my own father’s grave when I enter everything exactly as it should be. This site is not very helpful to me. These roadblocks are what caused me to give up years ago. How could this site not find a grave of someone when you provide their name, birth snd death year and actual cemetery location?

My maternal grandparents are listed with revised information as to their names. Did someone here make that change. The names on the grave marker only have the names I know them as (August and Nancy).

Send me a message with the names and whatever links you can give me. I'll make the memorials for your dads side then you request me to transfer it.

As for August, I sent name suggestion for him I think. I don't own his.

Click on their memorials,.click edit then suggest other edits, say it's your grandfather you're requesting transfer then when they transfer it change their name to what pleases you.

Any name suggestions I sent were what I found on records. As PA2UK said, we're volunteers. We can only do what records say when we don't know your relatives.

I didn't do any work on your dads side today. Let me know his name and his parents, I'll make sure they get done next time I sit down then will link you so you can request transfered to you.

BTW, a relative on your moms side is named Vilma. She's still alive. Not sure which relative she goes with but wanted to tell you she's Hungarian. Hungarians don't have a letter W for Wilma so their name would be Vilma. I have many in my Hungarian family. Next time I run into her I'll link it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 04:13 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The data on Find A Grave is provided by volunteers, and as with historical records, not every single grave in existence will have been added to Find A Grave yet. You can add them yourself, if you have the info and you're sure they haven't already been added.

Find A Grave is a little different from FamilySearch's tree (where anyone can edit anything) - although it's done by volunteers and anyone can create a new memorial, only the creator of the memorial can edit the details. Edits can be suggested by anyone, but the creator doesn't have to accept or apply the suggestions. Scroll down to the bottom where it says "Created by" and that will be who added/edited the details. You can contact them if you'd like, or use the "suggest edits" button near the top if you have additional info.

Thank you for the explanation. I was thinking it was a National database that all cemeteries provide info to. Quite different than. Volunteer group, which explains why I cannot find my dad or grandparents grave on the site. Is there a way to find out the person who added their graves? I messages a woman who added flowers a couple of years ago and asked if she knew my grandparents.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Cosimo August Agostino "Guss" Albanese and Nunziata "Nancy" Carmela Rega are done. Nancy has a very extensive tree.

Augusts fathers name is Stephano "Steve" Albanese. I need to work on the kids tomorrow, I just attached a 1905 census that added a few kids.

Antonio Russo
Felicia Rosetti

I worked on them today. I'll have to go back and finish them tomorrow. They were on one of the profiles I worked on today
You mentioned the name on August Agostino “Guss” Albanese find a grave, while you don't like it, it could be correct according to records that I found. Guss was his nick name. As PA2UK said, Cosimo could have been his given name but there weren't many records with that as his birth name, you'd have to order his birth certificate to find out. It also could have been Agostino was his Italian given name with August being his Americanized name. Same with his wife Nunziata “Nancy” Rega Albanese. I did the same for my dad who used an Americanized name of his Hungarian name. I've done the same to my hub's Italian family with including the Italian given (birth) names. To me, a 1st generation Hungarian born in the US, it's important to keep their ethnic roots so that their relatives are able to know they had the Italian 1st name at birth. I'd feel like I was disrespecting my father if I didn't include his Hungarian birth name.

By the way, if you have photos of any of their headstones, please upload them.

Antonio Russo find a grave made by me.
Felicia Rosetti Russo find a grave, also made by me.

You asked about Frank A Russo Sr., his parents are Antonio and Felicia Russo. I didn't make his.

I'm going to start working on Antonio and Felicia's family search tree. I'm not sure which of their kids is your grandfather that's why I asked you to send me a message with your grandparents and your fathers name so I could make the find a grave profiles for you then transfer to you.

These are your relatives that I made find a grave profiles for. You may not recognize their names but they are your relatives from the family search tree. Once you copy the tree to ancestry, you'll see where each falls on the tree and how they're related to you. I'll gladly transfer them to you.

Maria Munchvine Albanese
Stephen “Steve” Albanese
Mary Anna Mayoka Rega
Joyce Russo

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-31-2021 at 05:06 AM..

Old 01-31-2021, 07:49 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Thank you for the explanation. I was thinking it was a National database that all cemeteries provide info to. Quite different than. Volunteer group, which explains why I cannot find my dad or grandparents grave on the site. Is there a way to find out the person who added their graves? I messages a woman who added flowers a couple of years ago and asked if she knew my grandparents.
Scroll down to the bottom where it says "Created by".

Old 01-31-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, his birth certificate says 20, so that's most likely to be accurate. His birth certificate also says "Vincenzo" with no "James" so I thought it most likely that his first name was Vincenzo and that it was later in life listed as James Vincenzo because he started using James more often.

That said, it was common in Italian-American culture for Vincenzos to change their name to James. I don't know why, because Vincenzo has an English counterpart, Vincent. Maybe it just still sounded too Italian - admittedly, I don't think Vincent was a common English name. But even so, I don't know how or why it became so common for people to specifically choose James in place of Vincenzo instead of some other name.
Yeah, James makes no sense to me when Vincent would be the Americanized name.

Can you do me a favor? I'm drawing a zero for a 1920 and 1930 census for Antonio Russo at family search. Can you look on Ancestry to see what you find? There are also tons of Ellis Island entries for Antonio Russo's, if you're able to search better at Ancestry for that too it would help.

Their youngest was born in 1916 in NY, all of the kids were born there, so they arrived before that.

I'm drawing nothing for all of them so far except the 2 I was able to find, Anthony Russo Jr. and Frank A Russo Sr.

Quote:
The way to see who made the find a grave memorial is to scroll to the bottom. With Antonio and Felicia, you'll see they were made by Roselvr (me).

Quote:
If you want to message the person that made the profile, just click their name at the bottom. Some people have messaging disabled so you'd have to do like I said before, click on suggest edits, it opens what can be edited or shows edits that are pending approval. Scroll down more, you'll see suggest other corrections, it then opens an email box saying Email a Correction for deceased name

Quote:
Please enter your suggested changes below and we will send them to the person who manages this page or you can email them directly at emailaddy@whatever.com

A link to the memorial page will be included with your message.
Type in what you want to say. There's a box to check that says Send me a copy of this email so make sure you check that.

Using your grandfather Guss Albanese as an example, it's maintained by a guy that has 169,784 memorials that he manages. I can assure you he is not a relative and would be happy to transfer both Guss and Nancy to you.

Guss's father Stephen A Albanese is also managed by someone with 179,810 memorials that he manages. Stephens sister Gladys A. Albanese Russo is managed by someone with 22,354 memorials so I suggest you request transfer of all of them.

Back to people that left flowers, on Nancy's, I see someone left a military flower. Probable they do not know her. People do that. Family will usually leave a personal message

Antonio and Felicia Russo. Go to their family search profile and fill in whatever you can for them and their kids because I'm not coming up with anything more.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah, James makes no sense to me when Vincent would be the Americanized name.

Can you do me a favor? I'm drawing a zero for a 1920 and 1930 census for Antonio Russo at family search. Can you look on Ancestry to see what you find? There are also tons of Ellis Island entries for Antonio Russo's, if you're able to search better at Ancestry for that too it would help.

Their youngest was born in 1916 in NY, all of the kids were born there, so they arrived before that.

I'm drawing nothing for all of them so far except the 2 I was able to find, Anthony Russo Jr. and Frank A Russo Sr.
His naturalization record says he arrived 24 Sep 1921, so unless the children's birth places are wrong (or that date is wrong), he must have gone back and forth a couple times. They might not have been in the US during the 1920 census, at least, and maybe for the 1930 census too because I'm not finding them on either, but I'll keep looking. I have Italian ancestors who went back and forth several times, and always made sure they were in the US when their children were born, so although their children were born in the US, they are missing from several US censuses even after their birth. In fact, they eventually stayed in Italy, while their children stayed in the US.

That said, his naturalization also says he and Felicia married in 1929, so his children from before that were probably with another wife - but even looking for him with a different wife, I'm not finding a 1920 census with all the right children with him.

It also says the ship he arrived on was the Guglielmo Peirce - this passenger list is consistent with the ship and the date: https://www.ancestry.com/sharing/228...edium=copy-url

Name: Antonio Russo
Arrival Date: 24 Sep 1921
Birth Date: abt 1892
Last Permanent Address: Italy
Other Last Permanent Address: Casagiove
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York, USA
Ship Name: Guglielmo Peirce

The image shows he is travelling with a 17 yr old Raffaele Russo and 15 yr old Francesco Russo. There's hand written notes next to them that say "Bro" so I'm assume they are Antonio's brothers. It also says their nearest relative from back home is their sister Maria Russo. On the next page, it says the person they are going to join is their Giuseppe Russo at 201 E. 96th St, NYC.

That at least gives you several of his siblings names.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
You mentioned the name on August Agostino “Guss” Albanese find a grave, while you don't like it, it could be correct according to records that I found. Guss was his nick name. As PA2UK said, Cosimo could have been his given name but there weren't many records with that as his birth name, you'd have to order his birth certificate to find out. It also could have been Agostino was his Italian given name with August being his Americanized name. Same with his wife Nunziata “Nancy” Rega Albanese. I did the same for my dad who used an Americanized name of his Hungarian name. I've done the same to my hub's Italian family with including the Italian given (birth) names. To me, a 1st generation Hungarian born in the US, it's important to keep their ethnic roots so that their relatives are able to know they had the Italian 1st name at birth. I'd feel like I was disrespecting my father if I didn't include his Hungarian birth name.

By the way, if you have photos of any of their headstones, please upload them.

You asked about Frank A Russo Sr., his parents are Antonio and Felicia Russo. I didn't make his.

I'm going to start working on Antonio and Felicia's family search tree. I'm not sure which of their kids is your grandfather that's why I asked you to send me a message with your grandparents and your fathers name so I could make the find a grave profiles for you then transfer to you.

These are your relatives that I made find a grave profiles for. You may not recognize their names but they are your relatives from the family search tree. Once you copy the tree to ancestry, you'll see where each falls on the tree and how they're related to you. I'll gladly transfer them to you.

Maria Munchvine Albanese
Stephen “Steve” Albanese
Mary Anna Mayoka Rega
Joyce Russo

I thought I messaged you last night with all of the info you requested but it seems it never made it to you. I will do it again in a minute. It isn’t that I don’t like the names used on fin$ a grave. I was just saying that the names are simply August and Nancy on their grave markers. I am not sure how the cemetery decides what to put on the stone but since it is a military national cemetery, I would think they would put what they have on record. I agree that it would be important to use their birth name and not just the name they chose to use in America.

Is there a special way to copy a tree to Ancestry or do you mean I should manually type the info in?

Old 01-31-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
His naturalization record says he arrived 24 Sep 1921, so unless the children's birth places are wrong (or that date is wrong), he must have gone back and forth a couple times. They might not have been in the US during the 1920 census, at least, and maybe for the 1930 census too because I'm not finding them on either, but I'll keep looking. I have Italian ancestors who went back and forth several times, and always made sure they were in the US when their children were born, so although their children were born in the US, they are missing from several US censuses even after their birth. In fact, they eventually stayed in Italy, while their children stayed in the US.

That said, his naturalization also says he and Felicia married in 1929, so his children from before that were probably with another wife - but even looking for him with a different wife, I'm not finding a 1920 census with all the right children with him.

It also says the ship he arrived on was the Guglielmo Peirce - this passenger list is consistent with the ship and the date: https://www.ancestry.com/sharing/228...edium=copy-url

Arrival Date: 24 Sep 1921
Birth Date: abt 1892
Last Permanent Address: Italy
Other Last Permanent Address: Casagiove
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York, USA
Ship Name: Guglielmo Peirce

The image shows he is travelling with a 17 yr old Raffaele Russo and 15 yr old Francesco Russo. There's hand written notes next to them that say "Bro" so I'm assume they are Antonio's brothers. It also says their nearest relative from back home is their sister Maria Russo. On the next page, it says the person they are going to join is their Giuseppe Russo at 201 E. 96th St, NYC.

That at least gives you several of his siblings names.
I never paid Ancestry to get access to documents. I can do that though. I think you have the wrong Antonio Russo. I scanned something from the local library years ago.I just looked at it and, unless I am wrong, the ship arrived on March 19, 1910. Here is what it says:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Antonio Russo
Name:
Antonio Russo
Arrival Date:
19 Mar 1910
Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1892
Port of Departure:
Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race/Nationality:
Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name:
San Giorgio
Search Ship Database:
Search the San Giorgio in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival:
New York, New York
NATIVITY:
Caserta
Line:
Microfilm Serial:
T715
Microfilm Roll:
T715_1432
Birth Location:
Caserta
Birth Location Other:
pouza
Page Number:

View
Original
Record

View Passenger List

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Microfilm serial: T715; Microfilm roll: T715_1432; Line: 29; .
Source Information:
Ancestry.com. New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006. Original data:
• Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1820-1897; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M237, 675 rolls); Records of the U.S. Customs Service, Record Group 36; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
• Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1897-1957; (National Archives Microfilm Publication T715, 8892 rolls); Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; National Archives, Washington, D.C.

Old 01-31-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I never paid Ancestry to get access to documents. I can do that though. I think you have the wrong Antonio Russo.
It's definitely the passenger list for the Antonio Russo who was married to Felicia and the father of Anthony (b. 1929) and Antoinette (b. 1932). His naturalization record which names his wife and children (so we know it's the correct record) says he arrived in the US 24 Sep 1921 on board the Guglielmo Peirce, and that exactly matches the details of that passenger list, so that is definitely his passenger list.

Like I say, it was not uncommon for Italians to go back and forth to/from Italy. It's not impossible that he was in the US earlier, went back to Italy, and then came back in 1921. However, I'm not seeing any evidence of that yet...

Quote:
I scanned something from the local library years ago.I just looked at it and, unless I am wrong, the ship arrived on March 19, 1910. Here is what it says:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Antonio Russo
Name:
Antonio Russo
Arrival Date:
19 Mar 1910
Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1892
Port of Departure:
Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race/Nationality:
Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name:
San Giorgio
Search Ship Database:
Search the San Giorgio in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival:
New York, New York
NATIVITY:
Caserta
Line:
Microfilm Serial:
T715
Microfilm Roll:
T715_1432
Birth Location:
Caserta
Birth Location Other:
pouza
Take note of this line - birth location, Pouza. His naturalization record, which we know is the correct record because his wife's name is Felicia on the naturalization record, says he was born in Casagiove, not Pouza. So this 1910 passenger list is probably not him.

I also noted on the 1921 passenger list that Antonio is marked as single. At first, I thought maybe they didn't note when people were widowed - the form does ask whether "married or single" and doesn't ask about widowed, but then I saw others on the same sheet marked with a "W" for widowed. So if Antonio was widowed, it should say "W" instead of "S".

Barring any errors, of course, this means Antonio had not been married before 1921, so now I'm beginning to wonder if the children born before he married Felicia in 1929 were actually her children from a previous marriage, not Antonio's kids from a previous marriage? His naturalization does say Felicia arrived in the US in 1912, so that would explain why the children are all born in the US - if her first marriage was in the US. It also explains why his naturalization record only lists those two children born after his marriage to Felicia... the other children on the 1940 census are probably actually not his.

Old 01-31-2021, 03:43 PM

This looks like it's probably Antonio and Felicia's marriage license:

Marriage License Date: 17 Jan 1929
Marriage License Place: Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Spouse: Felicia Fusco
License Number: 1301

Fusco was probably her first married name. I'll keep looking for more on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy