U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 11:38 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,177,162 times

Advertisements

Lafayette, Indiana Journal and Courier - 28 Dec 1953
Attached Thumbnails
Shearer / Garriott-shearer-obit.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 11:51 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,334,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Lafayette, Indiana Journal and Courier - 28 Dec 1953

Goodness, another coincidence: Mrs. Aubrey Miles of Danville. We are back to Hendricks County, IN.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Well, that's because we need at least some more details in order to find them. For example, you ask about two surnames and then list a bunch of given names, but which names pair with which surnames? It is Hugh Shearer, or Hugh Garriott? Almeda Shearer, or Almeda Garriott? Surely, you at least know this much? And if you know these people's relationships to each other, that would be helpful too.

And as for the time period, is that when they were born, when they lived in Indiana, or what? Do you have an idea of at least approximately when some of these people were born? It doesn't have to be an exact date, but something more specific than late 1800s to the 1930s. For example, if I search for Hugh Shearer who lived in Indiana around 1900-1920, I get results for someone who was born in 1823, one in 1874, and another in 1916. You must have some idea which is more likely, assuming it's even Hugh Shearer and not Hugh Garriott.

My apologies. I did not see this yesterday. And you are right. My first post was vague because I was wondering if anyone knew of any of those names. I did not expect such great responses and help for which I thank you. Let's see what I can answer. That gives a time period.

Almeda (Shearer) Garriott was my teacher in 1937, maybe sooner but I do not remember for certain. She also married in 1937. The Courier says Aug 16, 1927; Danville paper says Aug 14, l937.

1823 birth of her father Hugh? Far too old, isn't he? Oh, here we go. Hugh N Shearer, father of Almeda was born 13 Jan 1874 in Clinton County.

And, while I am here. Did you (or someone else) mention an Alice Jean Garriott? I did find one Alice Jean Garriott who died 2018. However, that is her married name and she seems to be of a different Garriott family. Still it is a coincidence, isn't it? More searching to do on that.The Alice Jean named here was born about 1944/45.

Hugh N Garriott and wife Savannah had three children. But their names keep varying according to where I look. Ladoska is certain. He is always named. Mary Elizabeth is name in two sources which I need to look up. On that one Almeda is not named. Then, on another that I found a few minutes ago, there is Ladoska, Mrs. Almeda Garriott and (another new one) Mrs. Aubrey Miles Garriott. On that one, Mary Elizabeth is missing.

I have not typed up my notes to get them straight but I'm on my way. certainly appreciate the boost. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:10 AM

15,447 posts, read 24,395,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
My apologies. I did not see this yesterday. And you are right. My first post was vague because I was wondering if anyone knew of any of those names. I did not expect such great responses and help for which I thank you. Let's see what I can answer. That gives a time period.

Almeda (Shearer) Garriott was my teacher in 1937, maybe sooner but I do not remember for certain. She also married in 1937. The Courier says Aug 16, 1927; Danville paper says Aug 14, l937.

1823 birth of her father Hugh? Far too old, isn't he? Oh, here we go. Hugh N Shearer, father of Almeda was born 13 Jan 1874 in Clinton County.

And, while I am here. Did you (or someone else) mention an Alice Jean Garriott? I did find one Alice Jean Garriott who died 2018. However, that is her married name and she seems to be of a different Garriott family. Still it is a coincidence, isn't it? More searching to do on that.The Alice Jean named here was born about 1944/45.

Hugh N Garriott and wife Savannah had three children. But their names keep varying according to where I look. Ladoska is certain. He is always named. Mary Elizabeth is name in two sources which I need to look up. On that one Almeda is not named. Then, on another that I found a few minutes ago, there is Ladoska, Mrs. Almeda Garriott and (another new one) Mrs. Aubrey Miles Garriott. On that one, Mary Elizabeth is missing.

I have not typed up my notes to get them straight but I'm on my way. certainly appreciate the boost. Thanks.
I had some time yesterday to work on your teachers family tree with the links that were provided here.

Almeda Fern Shearer family search family tree profile and Almeda F Shearer Garriott find a grave profile. Her parents are not attached to her at find a grave yet. I've requested they be. They were married 14 August 1937 from the records I found and attached. It very well could be that they got the marriage license on the 14th and got married on the 16th. You may never know what's correct since she's deceased.

You mentioned her daughter, that was my question because one was coming up on family search, Alice Jean Garriott - born 15 March 1926, died 12 August 2012 but there were no parents attached to her. Her year of birth fits to be Almeda's daughter. I had already made a profile for her daughter Alice Jean Garriott Evans using her father's obituary, then I saw on Almeda's obituary that her daughter was married to someone by the last name of Witt, so I ended up merging the profile I made with the 1st one I found. Alice Jean Witt find a grave profile where she has an obituary.

Almeda had a son named Jack that's mentioned in her husbands obituary but he's not mentioned in hers so I assume he's deceased between when she and her husband passed away.

Hugh Newton Shearer family search profile and find a grave. His 3 kids are named Ledoska Orlando Shearer, Almeda and Mary E. Mary is on the 1910, 1920 and 1930 census which are attached to her profile there. I'm not seeing any other records for her. Here is Ledoska's find a grave where he's attached to his parents, wives and kids.

Old 01-14-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I had some time yesterday to work on your teachers family tree with the links that were provided here.

Almeda Fern Shearer family search family tree profile and Almeda F Shearer Garriott find a grave profile. Her parents are not attached to her at find a grave yet. I've requested they be. They were married 14 August 1937 from the records I found and attached. It very well could be that they got the marriage license on the 14th and got married on the 16th. You may never know what's correct since she's deceased.

You mentioned her daughter, that was my question because one was coming up on family search, Alice Jean Garriott - born 15 March 1926, died 12 August 2012 but there were no parents attached to her. Her year of birth fits to be Almeda's daughter. I had already made a profile for her daughter Alice Jean Garriott Evans using her father's obituary, then I saw on Almeda's obituary that her daughter was married to someone by the last name of Witt, so I ended up merging the profile I made with the 1st one I found. Alice Jean Witt find a grave profile where she has an obituary.

Almeda had a son named Jack that's mentioned in her husbands obituary but he's not mentioned in hers so I assume he's deceased between when she and her husband passed away.

Hugh Newton Shearer family search profile and find a grave. His 3 kids are named Ledoska Orlando Shearer, Almeda and Mary E. Mary is on the 1910, 1920 and 1930 census which are attached to her profile there. I'm not seeing any other records for her. Here is Ledoska's find a grave where he's attached to his parents, wives and kids.

You said Alice Jean Garriott's birthdate date fits to be Almeda's daughter. Do you have a typo? If not, I disagree. Almeda married in 1937. Plus, only seven months to March but such has happened. Survival would be touchy.

Anyway, thank you for all this. I'll fit it in asap. Hazel

Old 01-14-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
You said Alice Jean Garriott's birthdate date fits to be Almeda's daughter. Do you have a typo? If not, I disagree. Almeda married in 1937. Plus, only seven months to March but such has happened. Survival would be touchy.

Anyway, thank you for all this. I'll fit it in asap. Hazel
You're right, they married in 1937, she was born in 1926.

What I meant was Almeda was the right age to have had her. I do wonder if they married back in 1925, got divorced and remarried. I don't know, I don't have the answer. You were friends with Almeda, do you know if that was her daughter? Unfortunately, the daughters obituary doesn't mention parents. It was Almeda and her husbands that did from what I remember.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:

What I meant was Almeda was the right age to have had her. I do wonder if they married back in 1925, got divorced and remarried. I don't know, I don't have the answer. You were friends with Almeda, do you know if that was her daughter? Unfortunately, the daughters obituary doesn't mention parents. It was Almeda and her husbands that did from what I remember.
As PA2UK says, she's age 14 in the 1940 census. I just looked at Almeda's family search profile, she was on her parents census in 1910, 1920 and 1930, so where did the daughter age 14 come from? I don't have one for her husband before 1940. Possible she is his child I guess.

There is a 1920 census suggestion on his family search profile that is not him, different DOB which came from sources. I'm not sure if the marriage license is him either as parents names are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I was searching Ancestry.com, so it's behind a paywall, but many records are available for free at FamilySearch.org - you have to sign up for an account, but it's free. In addition to the records, someone has worked on this family in the crowd sourced tree at Family Search: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/LH6P-YQ9

It looks like she had at least one daughter, Alice Jean:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...eeref=LT7B-3V8

United States Census, 1940
Name:
Almeda Garriott
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1940
Event Place: Kennard, Henry, Indiana, United States
Event Place (Original): Indiana, Henry, Greensboro Township, Kennard
Last Place of Residence: Rural, Clinton, Indiana
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Birth Year (Estimated): 1906
Birthplace: Indiana
Relationship to Head of Household: Wife
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Wife
Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
Kenneth Garriott Head Male 35 Indiana
Almeda Garriott Wife Female 34 Indiana
Alice Jean Garriott Daughter Female 14 Indiana

Old 01-14-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Looking at the 1940 census, I see what you mean. Or, is it possible that the daughter is Kenneth's by a previous marriage? Her name was Garriott. So, could be either?

Old 01-14-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
As PA2UK says, she's age 14 in the 1940 census. I just looked at Almeda's family search profile, she was on her parents census in 1910, 1920 and 1930, so where did the daughter age 14 come from? I don't have one for her husband before 1940. Possible she is his child I guess.

There is a 1920 census suggestion on his family search profile that is not him, different DOB which came from sources. I'm not sure if the marriage license is him either as parents names are different.

Thank you. This is what I was just looking at - copy of you earlier post. Kenneth was born ca 1905.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:27 PM

9,610 posts, read 15,048,493 times
Yes, Kenneth was married to Lena Stout (nee Reece) in 1925, so Alice is probably her daughter.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XXN7-98B

That says his parents were Homer C Garriott and Mae Chew, but that means someone has added those parents to someone else in the tree: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/LYMC-4F5 - I think perhaps someone has wrongly merged two different families.

Also, these floaters need to be merged: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/M4CK-73K

Last edited by PA2UK; 01-14-2021 at 12:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy