U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 12:16 PM

3,180 posts, read 3,404,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It's free to create an account at FamilySearch, it's not really different from signing up at this forum, for example. What are you having trouble with?

All the data and records are on the FS tree now. Almeda was Alice's step mother - the three of them are on the 1940 census together.

Kenneth's profile: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/GQK6-YPR
Well, first, something new but easily gotten away from: It wanted me to swear I am a member of its church, which i am not. But it did let me move on. So, no real problem there. But.....?:

What gave me trouble? The same things I had trouble with years ago. Start with my user name. From simple names that were "already taken" to impossible names that I created that were "already taken". Password. First part is my problem. It is hard to type letters and see only dots. I finally got that right and it agreed that they matched. After that, the rest was easy - until I went to sign out. There Firefox showed up asking if I wanted it to remember my password. Password? Not user name or address? I tried to type in the password but guess I got it wrong. I never got past that because suddenly there was a message that the password did not match. Well, it was late and I was tired. So, another time?

Trust me. City Data is and always has been easier to register at and sign into. And, so have a lot of other web sites. The one thing that really has me curious is how can this one web site find so very many suggested names as "already taken"? I mean, yes, a lot of common names are going to be already taken - starting with my own. But this one seems to have many, many more than other web sites. Except for one case, I have never gotten an "already taken" when I registered with my own name or another. In that one case, all I had to do was add an extra letter to the name and it passed.

Now tell me that no one else has had this happen at that site. :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 02:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 15,220,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Well, first, something new but easily gotten away from: It wanted me to swear I am a member of its church, which i am not. But it did let me move on. So, no real problem there. But.....?:
Yeah they don't want you to click that if you're not a church member - they just want church members to click it because church members get some benefits. It's not a required field.

Quote:
What gave me trouble? The same things I had trouble with years ago. Start with my user name. From simple names that were "already taken" to impossible names that I created that were "already taken". Password. First part is my problem. It is hard to type letters and see only dots. I finally got that right and it agreed that they matched. After that, the rest was easy - until I went to sign out. There Firefox showed up asking if I wanted it to remember my password. Password? Not user name or address? I tried to type in the password but guess I got it wrong. I never got past that because suddenly there was a message that the password did not match. Well, it was late and I was tired. So, another time?

Trust me. City Data is and always has been easier to register at and sign into. And, so have a lot of other web sites. The one thing that really has me curious is how can this one web site find so very many suggested names as "already taken"? I mean, yes, a lot of common names are going to be already taken - starting with my own. But this one seems to have many, many more than other web sites. Except for one case, I have never gotten an "already taken" when I registered with my own name or another. In that one case, all I had to do was add an extra letter to the name and it passed.

I didn't. I signed up years ago, but I don't recall having any issues with it. Of course, on big databases sometimes usernames are taken, you just have to pick another. And passwords are often hidden for privacy - if FS doesn't have an option to "show password", it's probably because their site is frequently used in public spaces like libraries and family history centers, so privacy is vital.

When Firefox asks to remember a password, that has nothing to do with FamilySearch and that will happen on any website you're signing up for. All browsers do this by default now (though you can probably turn it off), with all websites you sign up for, and although I don't use Firefox, in Chrome, you don't need to type the password in, you just click "yes" and it saves the password you typed into the website.

Old 01-15-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah they don't want you to click that if you're not a church member - they just want church members to click it because church members get some benefits. It's not a required field.

I didn't. I signed up years ago, but I don't recall having any issues with it. Of course, on big databases sometimes usernames are taken, you just have to pick another. And passwords are often hidden for privacy - if FS doesn't have an option to "show password", it's probably because their site is frequently used in public spaces like libraries and family history centers, so privacy is vital.

When Firefox asks to remember a password, that has nothing to do with FamilySearch and that will happen on any website you're signing up for. All browsers do this by default now (though you can probably turn it off), with all websites you sign up for, and although I don't use Firefox, in Chrome, you don't need to type the password in, you just click "yes" and it saves the password you typed into the website.

I figured they were taking a census. Seriously, I realized it was something like that and just closed it. That took me on to the correct page. I'll try it again later and earlier in the day. What is the old saying about "third time"?

Old 01-16-2021, 04:59 AM

16,217 posts, read 24,888,893 times
Quote:
Suddenly I remember why I stopped using Family Search years ago.

I tried. Maybe later. Maybe not.
I really do not understand why you dislike the site. Did you used to have an account there? Or did you use it without one because I'm pretty sure there was a time where you could use the site to search records without having an account. I've been sending family search tree links to my son's grandmother, she used to be able to click them to see it. It's only the last few years it's wanted her to make an account to see the links I send her.

Family search is an awesome free family tree/ genealogy site. They have some records that ancestry doesn't have. I've been doing my family tree 5 or 6 years now. I couldn't believe I was able to get the user name Roselvr which I've used since 1999 on a site called garden web that's now Houzz. When it switched to Houzz I lost my user name some how, so someone else is using it.

I'm big on using Ancestry for family trees (I have about 10) to doing DNA, I have 10 DNA samples that I manage. Mine, my son and his paternal grandmother, my daughter, her paternal grandmother, my dad's 82 year old brother, my cousin who's father is my mothers brother, my husband, and my daughters 2 kids. I'm also on My Heritage with my main tree plus I uploaded all of the DNA samples to my tree there.

I do not pay for records at Ancestry or My Heritage, so I rely on Family Search a lot. I've built a huge tree there using their records. I then hand enter everything at ancestry, my tree at My Heritage isn't as involved as my Ancestry tree. I only have basic information there. The only thing lacking at Family Search is that you can't back up your tree. For a free site it's provided me with years of information.

My tree at ancestry is private for various reasons after I had my tree ripped off by someone. I do invite cousins that I work with to my tree. For anyone else wanting to see my tree since it's so large, I link them to my tree on family search. If they want the info that bad, they can hand enter it like I had to.

Quote:

I logged out, I forgot you have to give your name since it's a family tree site. I gave them my married last name instead of my maiden name which is what my other account is under, I then got to the 2nd page where it asks for a user name, I put in HazelW, already taken as you know. I tried Hazel W but the user name can't contain spaces. It suggested HazelW1 which isn't taken. You can also try your middle name, or Hazel_W which isn't taken, you could also do Hazel.W, also not taken. It then asks for a phone number which they now use if you can't remember your user name and password.

As far as the password, on the registration there's a box you check to show the password, it can't get any easier then that. As for the firefox password, it should show your user name and password because it's done on the same page, if it's not showing a user name, you're able to type the user name in and if you do not, I believe when you 1st log in, it will then ask to update the saved data there to remember the user name with the password.

It sounds like you may have created an account. If that's the case, go here, select forgot user name, add your cell number, it will text you. Same if you forgot your password.

Once you're logged in, click your user name in the top right corner, click on settings, make sure you go through the settings in each section, Account, Notifications and Permissions

As far as CD being easier, that was in 2008 when you joined. I joined in 2007 so I know CD was a totally different place back then. CD was mostly about "city data" with state forums. I was very involved with suggesting new sections for them to add. They had a health section, I asked for a cancer section and got it. I don't recall what other sections I was involved with suggesting, I used to go to the people search section regularly. While posting there, a gal liked my posts, she asked me to look at a case on a site called Websleuths which started me helping missing (MP) and unidentified person's (UP's). I ended up taking a break from here for a few years while I established myself in the MP and UP world but ended up coming back because I needed a break from it and found this place had really grown.

You would have a harder time with a user name now that CD is so huge.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I really do not understand why you dislike the site. Did you used to have an account there? Or did you use it without one because I'm pretty sure there was a time where you could use the site to search records without having an account. I've been sending family search tree links to my son's grandmother, she used to be able to click them to see it. It's only the last few years it's wanted her to make an account to see the links I send her.

Family search is an awesome free family tree/ genealogy site. They have some records that ancestry doesn't have. I've been doing my family tree 5 or 6 years now. I couldn't believe I was able to get the user name Roselvr which I've used since 1999 on a site called garden web that's now Houzz. When it switched to Houzz I lost my user name some how, so someone else is using it.

I'm big on using Ancestry for family trees (I have about 10) to doing DNA, I have 10 DNA samples that I manage. Mine, my son and his paternal grandmother, my daughter, her paternal grandmother, my dad's 82 year old brother, my cousin who's father is my mothers brother, my husband, and my daughters 2 kids. I'm also on My Heritage with my main tree plus I uploaded all of the DNA samples to my tree there.

I do not pay for records at Ancestry or My Heritage, so I rely on Family Search a lot. I've built a huge tree there using their records. I then hand enter everything at ancestry, my tree at My Heritage isn't as involved as my Ancestry tree. I only have basic information there. The only thing lacking at Family Search is that you can't back up your tree. For a free site it's provided me with years of information.

My tree at ancestry is private for various reasons after I had my tree ripped off by someone. I do invite cousins that I work with to my tree. For anyone else wanting to see my tree since it's so large, I link them to my tree on family search. If they want the info that bad, they can hand enter it like I had to.

I logged out, I forgot you have to give your name since it's a family tree site. I gave them my married last name instead of my maiden name which is what my other account is under, I then got to the 2nd page where it asks for a user name, I put in HazelW, already taken as you know. I tried Hazel W but the user name can't contain spaces. It suggested HazelW1 which isn't taken. You can also try your middle name, or Hazel_W which isn't taken, you could also do Hazel.W, also not taken. It then asks for a phone number which they now use if you can't remember your user name and password.

As far as the password, on the registration there's a box you check to show the password, it can't get any easier then that. As for the firefox password, it should show your user name and password because it's done on the same page, if it's not showing a user name, you're able to type the user name in and if you do not, I believe when you 1st log in, it will then ask to update the saved data there to remember the user name with the password.

It sounds like you may have created an account. If that's the case, go here, select forgot user name, add your cell number, it will text you. Same if you forgot your password.

Once you're logged in, click your user name in the top right corner, click on settings, make sure you go through the settings in each section, Account, Notifications and Permissions

As far as CD being easier, that was in 2008 when you joined. I joined in 2007 so I know CD was a totally different place back then. CD was mostly about "city data" with state forums. I was very involved with suggesting new sections for them to add. They had a health section, I asked for a cancer section and got it. I don't recall what other sections I was involved with suggesting, I used to go to the people search section regularly. While posting there, a gal liked my posts, she asked me to look at a case on a site called Websleuths which started me helping missing (MP) and unidentified person's (UP's). I ended up taking a break from here for a few years while I established myself in the MP and UP world but ended up coming back because I needed a break from it and found this place had really grown.

You would have a harder time with a user name now that CD is so huge.

Oh, I do not dislike the site. In fact, I have never seen the site other than where I tried to set up an account. It's just - as I said - that the rejections go on for so long that I grow weary and give up. Another day may be easier. I shall see.

Old 01-17-2021, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Oh, I do not dislike the site. In fact, I have never seen the site other than where I tried to set up an account. It's just - as I said - that the rejections go on for so long that I grow weary and give up. Another day may be easier. I shall see.
Nothing hard about it. I gave you user name options. That was half of your battle. Hazel_W is not taken, neither is Hazel.W

PA2UK and I did a lot of work on her family tree for you. It would be nice if you can make an account and see it.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Nothing hard about it. I gave you user name options. That was half of your battle. Hazel_W is not taken, neither is Hazel.W

PA2UK and I did a lot of work on her family tree for you. It would be nice if you can make an account and see it.

I do appreciate the work you did and I did say I will try again. I plan to try some of your suggestions.

One step at a time. I am dealing with other needs also. Hazel

Old 01-18-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
It's free to create an account at FamilySearch, it's not really different from signing up at this forum, for example. What are you having trouble with?

All the data and records are on the FS tree now. Almeda was Alice's step mother - the three of them are on the 1940 census together.

Kenneth's profile: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/GQK6-YPR
This morning I went to Alice Jean Garriott Witt's find a grave, I removed Almeda as her mother, I totally forgot find a grave was managing her memorial. I got the approval email this morning that Almeda was accepted...

I then went to Kenneth's profile, then went to Almeda's mother, Lena C. Reece. This marriage record for she and Kenneth was suggested as a hint, her name is listed as Lena C Stout, not Reece. There's no father listed on the record, just her mother, Minnie Alice Wilkinson. On this marriage record, her name is listed as Lena C Stout with the father Tilden Reece.

The 1910 census is also listed, it shows she's the step daughter of Tilden Reece so I changed her last name to Stout, ended up removing Tilden Reece as father. I eventually found a marriage record for her mother and a John Stout. His profile was already created, not sure how I found it because I've been working on connecting profiles at find a grave too. Happy when I can connect people or make memorials from death records.

When I went to add her mother after finding her find a grave memorial I wasn't able to do it. I went to my pending edit requests, it's not listed because find a grave is trying something new so I couldn't cancel the remove request. I'll have to go back to right it after find a grave accepts it. That's what started it, I should have just asked to run her profile but I really don't need any more to manage.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:28 AM

Pazuk, I am sorry I cannot deal with this right now as I have another issue I am dealing with but I will get back to it. One thing really confuses me but I've not taken time to look it up again. According to my earlier research Almeda's mother was Savannah Cole. She is listed as wife of Hugh W Shearer.

I will get back to this asap. Thank you.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Pazuk, I am sorry I cannot deal with this right now as I have another issue I am dealing with but I will get back to it. One thing really confuses me but I've not taken time to look it up again. According to my earlier research Almeda's mother was Savannah Cole. She is listed as wife of Hugh W Shearer.

I will get back to this asap. Thank you.
Almeda Fern Shearer family search profile with her parents Hugh Newton Shearer and Savannah Cole attached.

Almeda Fern Shearer Garriott find a grave profile which you can see without joining. You'll see her parents Hugh Newton Shearer and Savannah Cole are listed there too

Tip, go to this page of your profile, scroll down to Thread Display Options, Number of Posts to Show Per Page, show 40 posts per page. This way you'll be able to see all of the posts so far in your thread. The forum default makes it very hard to look back to see who said what.

You can then hit CTRL then the letter F on your keyboard, it will open up windows search, you can type in Almeda, hit the enter key on your keyboard, it will highlight the posts with her name. You hit the arrow to move through them. It makes finding something so much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy