U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 03:01 PM

9,680 posts, read 15,220,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
This morning I went to Alice Jean Garriott Witt's find a grave, I removed Almeda as her mother, I totally forgot find a grave was managing her memorial. I got the approval email this morning that Almeda was accepted...

I then went to Kenneth's profile, then went to Almeda's mother, Lena C. Reece. This marriage record for she and Kenneth was suggested as a hint, her name is listed as Lena C Stout, not Reece. There's no father listed on the record, just her mother, Minnie Alice Wilkinson. On this marriage record, her name is listed as Lena C Stout with the father Tilden Reece.

The 1910 census is also listed, it shows she's the step daughter of Tilden Reece so I changed her last name to Stout, ended up removing Tilden Reece as father. I eventually found a marriage record for her mother and a John Stout. His profile was already created, not sure how I found it because I've been working on connecting profiles at find a grave too. Happy when I can connect people or make memorials from death records.
Step parents can be left attached - there is an option to change the relationship from biological to "Step".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 01:29 AM

16,217 posts, read 24,888,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
This morning I went to Alice Jean Garriott Witt's find a grave, I removed Almeda as her mother, I totally forgot find a grave was managing her memorial. I got the approval email this morning that Almeda was accepted...

I then went to Kenneth's profile, then went to Almeda's mother, Lena C. Reece. This marriage record for she and Kenneth was suggested as a hint, her name is listed as Lena C Stout, not Reece. There's no father listed on the record, just her mother, Minnie Alice Wilkinson. On this marriage record, her name is listed as Lena C Stout with the father Tilden Reece.

The 1910 census is also listed, it shows she's the step daughter of Tilden Reece so I changed her last name to Stout, ended up removing Tilden Reece as father. I eventually found a marriage record for her mother and a John Stout. His profile was already created, not sure how I found it because I've been working on connecting profiles at find a grave too. Happy when I can connect people or make memorials from death records.

When I went to add her mother after finding her find a grave memorial I wasn't able to do it. I went to my pending edit requests, it's not listed because find a grave is trying something new so I couldn't cancel the remove request. I'll have to go back to right it after find a grave accepts it. That's what started it, I should have just asked to run her profile but I really don't need any more to manage.

Alice Jean Garriott Witt's find a grave is right now plus I'm running it.

I'd assume her husband is very elderly but I haven't found record of his death yet. She passed 8 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Step parents can be left attached - there is an option to change the relationship from biological to "Step".

Thanks, wonder if that's something new. I'd rather it be straight. It was no big deal to remove Almeda as mother.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM

16,217 posts, read 24,888,893 times
Apparently the OP was having issues creating an account on family search. I just found her post in about the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Some months ago, we had a thread about opening an account at Family Search. I have searched for "Family Search" but it does not come up. Is it available? Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Yes and actually it is at the LDS site. Just a slight difference I think but not sure. And I did find it.

I wanted to find this thread again to post something I learned. I was having trouble opening an account because every time I tried to confirm, it said password was wrong. After some months I tried again with the same results. I finally gave up and sent them an email about the issue. About an hour later a fine gentleman called me. I am trying to remember his exact title but it was something like genealogy missionary.

This man dove right in and tried setting up an account with my same information and he got the same results I was getting (quote) "wrong". After some studying and working while I just listened to him talk to himself, he had it. "The computer just does not like your password." He assured me that there was nothing wrong with the password and said he runs into this occasionally where a computer simply rejects a password and only thing to do is change that. We did. I am now in and all is well.

I wanted to pass that on just in case anyone else ever runs into such. And add those. Those genealogy missionaries are the best. Patience of Job. He even went further and created the start of my tree. What more can we ask? There really was a "more". Someone had already transferred my tree from another site to this one. Now, all I have to do is learn how to use it.

All have a good day. Hazel W
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy