U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 12:01 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,334,255 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have family names of Shearer or Garriott in Indiana? Time period of late 1800s and into 1930s, central Indiana. Specifially looking for Hugh, Almeda, Mary Etta.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 07:36 PM

9,609 posts, read 15,048,493 times
I don't, but if you're looking for help, there's lots of people here willing, if you give us more details.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I don't, but if you're looking for help, there's lots of people here willing, if you give us more details.

Everyone always wants more information. Including me. I told you all I know except that she was my favorite and most helpful high school teacher and a friend afterward.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:49 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,652,489 times
FamilySearch has a 1920 census with Mary E. Shearer (born 1909), her father Hugh W. Shearer, Sister Almeda Shearer, and mother Savanna. From Clinton, Indiana. There is also a very small family tree listed. May be the same person (or not).

Old 01-08-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Everyone always wants more information. Including me. I told you all I know except that she was my favorite and most helpful high school teacher and a friend afterward.
Well, that's because we need at least some more details in order to find them. For example, you ask about two surnames and then list a bunch of given names, but which names pair with which surnames? It is Hugh Shearer, or Hugh Garriott? Almeda Shearer, or Almeda Garriott? Surely, you at least know this much? And if you know these people's relationships to each other, that would be helpful too.

And as for the time period, is that when they were born, when they lived in Indiana, or what? Do you have an idea of at least approximately when some of these people were born? It doesn't have to be an exact date, but something more specific than late 1800s to the 1930s. For example, if I search for Hugh Shearer who lived in Indiana around 1900-1920, I get results for someone who was born in 1823, one in 1874, and another in 1916. You must have some idea which is more likely, assuming it's even Hugh Shearer and not Hugh Garriott.

Old 01-08-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
FamilySearch has a 1920 census with Mary E. Shearer (born 1909), her father Hugh W. Shearer, Sister Almeda Shearer, and mother Savanna. From Clinton, Indiana. There is also a very small family tree listed. May be the same person (or not).

Yes, that is the right person and the name is Hugh Newton Shearer. Just a mixup of N and W. Happens on censuses all the time. And I think - not sure right now - that it is Clinton County. Right near Lafayette, if I remember rightly.

Thank you for picking up on that. Hazel

Old 01-08-2021, 03:22 PM

U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Name: Hugh Newton Shearer
[Hugh Newton Sherrer]
Race: White
Birth Date: 13 Jan 1874
Residence Date: 1917-1918
Street Address: Hillisbury
Residence Place: Clinton County, Indiana, USA
Physical Build: Medium
Height: Tall
Hair Color: Light
Eye Color: Blue
Spouse: Savanna Shearer

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...newton-shearer

Indiana, U.S., Death Certificates, 1899-2011
Name: Hugh N Campher [Shearer]
Marital status: Married
Birth Place: Indiana
Death Date: 27 Dec 1953
Death Place: Rural, Clinton, Indiana, USA
Father: John A Shearer
Mother: Mary Shearer

There's dozens of records for this guy - if you have any of them already, let us know so we're not searching for and copying records you already have.

Old 01-08-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Name: Hugh Newton Shearer
[Hugh Newton Sherrer]
Residence Date: 1917-1918
Street Address: Hillisbury
Residence Place: Clinton County, Indiana, USA
Physical Build: Medium
Height: Tall
Hair Color: Light
Eye Color: Blue
Spouse: Savanna Shearer

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...newton-shearer

Indiana, U.S., Death Certificates, 1899-2011
Name: Hugh N Campher [Shearer]
Marital status: Married
Birth Place: Indiana
Death Date: 27 Dec 1953
Death Place: Rural, Clinton, Indiana, USA
Father: John A Shearer
Mother: Mary Shearer

There's dozens of records for this guy - if you have any of them already, let us know so we're not searching for and copying records you already have.

Thank you! Good grief, I did not find this. I did a search of his name. All I found was his obit and even that was an old newspaper copy cut off at the side. The only reason I found that is that there was a notice in a Hendricks County newspaper naming him as Almeda's father. Almeda happened to attend Danville Central College. That notice came from The Journal and Courier newspaper in Lafayette. From there I got lost.

To make it easy, I am not so much interested in the family ancestry. I just got to wondering when I learned that a cousin had married a "Mrs. Shearer" and started to see if the two families were related. Found that they were not. Now I am trying to find out what happened to Almeda and, perhaps if she had any children. The last I know from another of my former teachers is that Almeda moved to Utah.

Thank you for all that. I need to get back to looking for my brother's service record. Later, when things open up again.

Until later.

Old 01-08-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Thank you! Good grief, I did not find this. I did a search of his name. All I found was his obit and even that was an old newspaper copy cut off at the side.
I was searching Ancestry.com, so it's behind a paywall, but many records are available for free at FamilySearch.org - you have to sign up for an account, but it's free. In addition to the records, someone has worked on this family in the crowd sourced tree at Family Search: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/LH6P-YQ9

Quote:
To make it easy, I am not so much interested in the family ancestry. I just got to wondering when I learned that a cousin had married a "Mrs. Shearer" and started to see if the two families were related. Found that they were not. Now I am trying to find out what happened to Almeda and, perhaps if she had any children. The last I know from another of my former teachers is that Almeda moved to Utah.
It looks like she had at least one daughter, Alice Jean:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...eeref=LT7B-3V8

United States Census, 1940
Name:
Almeda Garriott
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1940
Event Place: Kennard, Henry, Indiana, United States
Event Place (Original): Indiana, Henry, Greensboro Township, Kennard
Last Place of Residence: Rural, Clinton, Indiana
Marital Status: Married
Race (Original): White
Birth Year (Estimated): 1906
Birthplace: Indiana
Relationship to Head of Household: Wife
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Wife
Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
Kenneth Garriott Head Male 35 Indiana
Almeda Garriott Wife Female 34 Indiana
Alice Jean Garriott Daughter Female 14 Indiana

Old 01-09-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I was searching Ancestry.com, so it's behind a paywall, but many records are available for free at FamilySearch.org - you have to sign up for an account, but it's free. In addition to the records, someone has worked on this family in the crowd sourced tree at Family Search: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/LH6P-YQ9

It looks like she had at least one daughter, Alice Jean:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...eeref=LT7B-3V8

United States Census, 1940
Name:
Almeda Garriott
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1940
Event Place: Kennard, Henry, Indiana, United States
Event Place (Original): Indiana, Henry, Greensboro Township, Kennard
Last Place of Residence: Rural, Clinton, Indiana
Marital Status: Married
Race (Original): White
Birth Year (Estimated): 1906
Birthplace: Indiana
Relationship to Head of Household: Wife
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Wife
Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
Kenneth Garriott Head Male 35 Indiana
Almeda Garriott Wife Female 34 Indiana
Alice Jean Garriott Daughter Female 14 Indiana

Thank you, again. This is getting more interesting than expected. She seems to be following the same location routes that my immediate family followed around Indiana. And, no, we are not in any way related. Just pure coincidebce, But that's another story to be skipped. Thank you for Family Search links. I meant to ask about that yesterday and totally forgot. I shall follow up on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy