U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2021, 05:30 PM
bjh

40,738 posts, read 26,204,994 times

Advertisements

Some people probably wish they found out they had different parents.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 10:38 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,650 posts, read 9,287,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
So what was the result of all of that research? Was my self-perception influenced by any of that? A bit...but not profoundly. I seem to be following patterns.

- Religion played a bigger role than expected and we seem to be religious dissenters and contrarians, though not to be confused with free-thinkers. They separated from one body only to join a dissenting church body. That contrary-ness in regard to organized religion seems comfortable to me.

- In recent generations we have not been a "military family" as in making that a career choice. We had war service going back to the 1600s but not career service beyond that. I have followed that pattern as has everyone in my generation of cousins.

- Most of my ancestors were farmers but never owned their own land until they came to America. They always worked on manor/estate lands or else rented land from the local lord. Owning land or landed property was important once they had a chance to do it in the US. I feel the same way and have seldom been a renter. I'm not a farmer, though.
Very interesting, thx... have also had a longtime interest in the 'roots' of my own curious 'lineage', particularly the cultural aspects. Although looking into the obvious 'details' like religion, military experience, occupations, and their general 'motivation', for some reason never occurred to me, as I've usually focused just on their 'locations'.

Like my mother's side which is mostly English and hails from AL, GA, and the South as far back as the early 1800's. While my paternal grandfather arrived at Ellis Island from Italy in 1917. And have always wondered what that must've been like, to completely up stakes and move to some far away country, and culture, where they don't even speak your language... let alone deciding to do all that as a teen.

Although 'out of the blue' and thx to the interwebs, was contacted a couple years ago by a distant relative, a retired History prof no less, who'd done a similar degree of 'research' as the OP, complete with numerous, and very old photos and copies of archived docs. And apparently there was much more to the story of why my 'adventurous' grandfather had so suddenly 'relocated' from a farming and fishing village on the Adriatic side of Italy.

And LSS, turns out he was actually the illegitimate 'product' of a village gal and a prominent local politician and 'businessman'. So apparently when 'Grandpa' began creating too much 'attention' in his teens, it was 'decided' that it was time to ship him off to the New World, to discover new 'opportunities'!

And yes, ever since this 'revelation', have also noticed similar recurring 'patterns' and 'themes' within my own family tree!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy