Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 11:19 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times

Advertisements

In the last four years, my 23&Me results have changed wildly? Why? I downloaded the report and loaded it into GEDMatch a few months ago and GEDMatch came back with the original results, plus health results that 23&Me didn't detect (but was later diagnosed by doctors... I also did the health reports).

Does Ancestry's ancestry change wildly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 11:25 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,203,799 times
Your actual ancestry is fixed at conception.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
Your actual ancestry is fixed at conception.
Two people in my family were adopted, they were closed adoptions. I was trying to figure out what my ancestry and health was like. I already have chronic conditions and that's why I tried.

When I first did this, I was 7% Ashkenazi, 30% Eastern European, German, Norwegian, and French. Dad was adopted by an Italian family and there was no Italian. Mom's mother was adopted by an Italian family too. The only biological grandparent was my grandfather and he was Irish. I was 40% Irish, which wasn't a surprise.

NOW, 23 & Me took out the Ashkenazi, German, Norwegian, and French. Added Italian, not much. I'm more Eastern European than Irish.

According to GEDMatch, I'm actually 15% Ashkenazi, 45% Eastern European, and 40% Irish/British. GEDMatch found the Celiac, which 23&Me didn't pick up on. I was diagnosed by a doctor. GEDMatch picked up on conditions I do have, which 23&Me didn't pick up on. It was weird.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:21 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
In the last four years, my 23&Me results have changed wildly? Why? I downloaded the report and loaded it into GEDMatch a few months ago and GEDMatch came back with the original results, plus health results that 23&Me didn't detect (but was later diagnosed by doctors... I also did the health reports).

Does Ancestry's ancestry change wildly?
Yes, all DNA companies update their ethnicity report periodically. It is only an interpretation of our DNA and is subject to different/changing reference panels and algorithms.

Quote:
According to GEDMatch, I'm actually 15% Ashkenazi, 45% Eastern European, and 40% Irish/British.
Gedmatch's admixture calculators are pretty outdated now.

Quote:
GEDMatch found the Celiac, which 23&Me didn't pick up on. I was diagnosed by a doctor.
Last I knew, Gedmatch didn't do health reports. Maybe you mean Promethease? In any case, DNA health reports are not diagnostic, even if you got a positive results for Celiac on a DNA test, you would still need a doctor to diagnose you. DNA reports simply provide insight into conditions you might be prone to. It does not mean you definitely have or will develop any conditions you get a positive on, and it doesn't mean you can't have or will never develop conditions you get a negative on. Additionally, the 23andMe DNA test isn't a whole genome sequencing - it only uses a portion of your DNA and might not include all known SNPs that are associated with any particular condition like Celiac.

Old 02-01-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Yes, all DNA companies update their ethnicity report periodically. It is only an interpretation of our DNA and is subject to different/changing reference panels and algorithms.

Gedmatch's admixture calculators are pretty outdated now.

Last I knew, Gedmatch didn't do health reports. Maybe you mean Promethease? In any case, DNA health reports are not diagnostic, even if you got a positive results for Celiac on a DNA test, you would still need a doctor to diagnose you. DNA reports simply provide insight into conditions you might be prone to. It does not mean you definitely have or will develop any conditions you get a positive on, and it doesn't mean you can't have or will never develop conditions you get a negative on. Additionally, the 23andMe DNA test isn't a whole genome sequencing - it only uses a portion of your DNA and might not include all known SNPs that are associated with any particular condition like Celiac.
Yes, I did Promethease! I guess I will never really know what dad is ethnicity wise and I will never know what mom-mom was. Dad says he's Italian because he was raised by an Italian family. I never connected with it and I rejected that religion when I was 11. I'm changing my religion and I guess at the end of the day, I can be whatever I want and ethnicity probably doesn't matter.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:58 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
If you test with two companies, say Ancestry and 23andme, your results will differ but your DNA is the same. The companies use different approaches to do the analysis and have different geographic maps and different reference populations. Time passes and the reference populations grow and become more specific. The companies provide customers with an updated report that changes the original results. If a family has a long held notion that they were "German" and initial results confirmed that, future results might show Eastern Europe if the newer reference population shows that result.

That is sort of my family experience as the revised reports come in. We were North Sea people of German culture, language, religion, and in every way imaginable except that we migrated and lived among and inter-married with our West Slavic neighbors along the Baltic coast of what is now Poland so results show Eastern Europe. Knowing history and migration or settlement patterns is important for understanding results. My German results have diminished with each revision.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
If you test with two companies, say Ancestry and 23andme, your results will differ but your DNA is the same. The companies use different approaches to do the analysis and have different geographic maps and different reference populations. Time passes and the reference populations grow and become more specific. The companies provide customers with an updated report that changes the original results. If a family has a long held notion that they were "German" and initial results confirmed that, future results might show Eastern Europe if the newer reference population shows that result.

That is sort of my family experience as the revised reports come in. We were North Sea people of German culture, language, religion, and in every way imaginable except that we migrated and lived among and inter-married with our West Slavic neighbors along the Baltic coast of what is now Poland so results show Eastern Europe. Knowing history and migration or settlement patterns is important for understanding results. My German results have diminished with each revision.
Like I said, two people in my family were adopted and they were closed. Mom-mom has been dead for 24 years, so I guess I could search for her birth family. My dad has no interest in it; my grandparents were his parents and he has no interest in finding his birth parents. Although, I don't think he can because when my parents were having some issues, mom asked if they could see the records and it was met with anger, or so I've heard. I was hoping 23&Me could answer some questions.

I guess the only thing I know for certain is I'm Irish/British since my biological grandfather was Irish/British. My biological great grandma emigrated from Ireland to the US in the late 1920's and I still have family in Ireland.

Yet, I would like to know the other half of my puzzle, to make sense of some things. I was born lactose intolerant, that didn't come from the Irish/British family. I'm also the only Celiac in my family, at least that I know of. I was diagnosed after markers for an autoimmune liver disease was found on a blood test. Thank goodness it's only NAFLD and gluten-free helped. The Celiac was found because of my liver. The Ashkenazi I found early on would make sense with the Celiac and lactose intolerance. Maybe the Eastern European would too.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:25 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
In the last four years, my 23&Me results have changed ...
Because EVERY month they have a larger and larger pool of member data.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Because EVERY month they have a larger and larger pool of member data.
I ran my results through Prometheus. Is that more accurate?

Old 02-02-2021, 07:54 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Was it 60 Minutes that did a piece on these DNA companies the other day? In essence, they exist to sell data to pharmaceutical companies so they may develop drugs to "discovered" conditions in your (millions of "yours") DNA.

And the beauty of the business model is that they get YOU to pay for the sample and data collection. And the drug companies pay for the data, too.

Your heritage? Not so important to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy