Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 04:15 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It depends on the context.

More than 1-2%. The study I quoted did stats on people with 1+%, an also on 2+%. They didn't even look at those under 1%.

Probably noise.

Thanks...that's what I figured...nothing else exotic on me at all...was thinking I may have a little Native American...nope...none at all.

Old 02-13-2021, 11:56 PM

111 posts, read 95,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
We simply fool ourselves, or our family does, into thinking one way or another and then a DNA test shatters the myth. I don't think any one racial group has cornered the market on the mythology of pure or mixed ancestry. I'm German/Pomeranian, Ukrainian, Irish, and colonial English/Dutch and that is a lot to sort through. I have Black DNA cousins at some genetic distance and a bit curious how that came about but there are too many branches on both sides to find a match.

One of the most bizarre angles to this is the many people who are upset that they have no Indian ancestry. The story that great-great-grandma was a Cherokee Princess is a myth? How could that be? (How many Cherokee Princesses were there?)
The CEO of 23&me admitted to adding african percentages to white peoples DNA reports regardless of whether it is true or not....these tests are scams, folks.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniKidNow View Post
The CEO of 23&me admitted to adding african percentages to white peoples DNA reports regardless of whether it is true or not....these tests are scams, folks.
Well, he didn't add any to mine or my sister in law's. We are 100 percent "white folks." Totally uncool.

I did find out though that I am apparently part Finnish, which I didn't know so that was sort of interesting.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:50 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Both my great-grandparents on both sides were born in Italy so I would be rather surprised if we had black ancestry. However, it wouldn't bother me if it turned out I did.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:03 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniKidNow View Post
No, he didn't. Get your facts right.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dn...screw-racists/

Old 02-14-2021, 08:25 AM

1,438 posts, read 734,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
No, he didn't. Get your facts right.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dn...screw-racists/
Whats funny about this rumor is 23&me and AncestryDNA only test complete strand segments while FTDNA and MyHeritage test ever bit of your SNP's so the first 2 companies are actually less likely to show your COMPLETE admixture so if anything shows up 1% or more on those tests it's really gonna be there and may actually be a higher percentage than shown.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:19 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
Whats funny about this rumor is 23&me and AncestryDNA only test complete strand segments while FTDNA and MyHeritage test ever bit of your SNP's so the first 2 companies are actually less likely to show your COMPLETE admixture so if anything shows up 1% or more on those tests it's really gonna be there and may actually be a higher percentage than shown.
I'm not sure what you mean by "every bit of your SNPs"? All the companies include individual SNPs in the raw data - and none of those you mention include your full genome. They all include different amounts of SNPs, which you can see on these charts how many and how much overlap they each have:

https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_SNP_comparison_chart

For whole genome sequencing, you'd have to test at someplace like Illumina, or Dante Labs (there's many others) - and I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) they provide admixture, just the raw data.

And how exactly the raw data gets analyzed into an ethnicity report may vary by the company - they certainly have different algorithms, but I believe the principle is the same, and they all use SNP combinations, because single, individual SNPs on their own are not unique enough geographically to be at all reliably used for admixture.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by in_newengland; 02-14-2021 at 06:36 PM..

Old 02-14-2021, 02:28 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, he didn't add any to mine or my sister in law's. We are 100 percent "white folks." Totally uncool.

I did find out though that I am apparently part Finnish, which I didn't know so that was sort of interesting.
99.8% European on mine (.1% sub Saharan African & .1% unknown)...would be cool to have something else "exotic" but nope (only .2% Scandinavian). It did show 2% Italian & 1.2% Spain & Portugal though which may be more than background noise?

The rest was expected...Mom is Polish...Dad is English/German. For me...51% Polish, 22% English, & 17% German...the rest was "broadly Northwestern European".

A neat test though...amazing how accurate they are!

Old 02-14-2021, 06:38 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Interesting but too many posts had to be deleted so this is closed so that it won't go downhill again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy