Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 07:19 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Another interesting possibility is that it is a double cousin meaning one pair of siblings married another pair of siblings. My husband's father and uncle married sisters. Genetically he's as close to his double cousin as he is his half-sisters with whom he shares a mother. He shares 25% of his DNA with his half-sisters and his double cousin.
In this case, both individuals would match BOTH dad and mom's cousins on the shared match list. You are not likely to have a complete 1/2 match on the X with double cousins either, although it would not be impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 09:50 AM

30,142 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Discovered View Post
Did 23andme and it showed a half sister we didn't know about. My full sister is skeptical it is accurate. We share 1886cm and shows half identical X chromosome. Can this be wrong? Wanted to share the pic of results, but don't see how.
I was adopted and before I did 23andme I had really no info on my birth family and birth relatives. Turned out I have a half brother. Who I contacted and was also adopted and about the same age. About 6 months apart. Meaning my birth father was very busy back then and fathered at least two kids he did not want. With different women. We were born in different parts of the country. Finding all this out created more questions than answers.

I doubt the info they gave you is wrong. You might want to try ancestry and see what comes out there. I believe they have a bigger database. That will be my next move.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:13 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I was adopted and before I did 23andme I had really no info on my birth family and birth relatives. Turned out I have a half brother. Who I contacted and was also adopted and about the same age. About 6 months apart. Meaning my birth father was very busy back then and fathered at least two kids he did not want. With different women. We were born in different parts of the country. Finding all this out created more questions than answers.

I doubt the info they gave you is wrong. You might want to try ancestry and see what comes out there. I believe they have a bigger database. That will be my next move.
Ancestry's database is 3 or 4 times larger, maybe more. PA2UK usually keeps track of it. Anyone adopted or with a brick wall should do ancestry.

My Heritage's database is growing due to the free uploads. If you're not there, you should upload your DNA there too. Very easy to do. Directions below. All you have to do is go to 23 and me, in the search type RAW DNA data download. It will give you directions. The link always changes for some reason.

My Heritage has a very large European database. Lots of people in Europe will buy there but not at ancestry, they say it's more expensive. I guess Ancestry Europe doesn't have sales like the US does. It will be $59 for mothers and fathers day. It always goes on sale. $10 shipping fee. Free to send back. Do not buy a test at my heritage since you can upload free then pay $29 for the extra tools. If you buy a test there you need a $100 data subscription plan to access extra features, so it's way more expensive to buy their $49 test, plus shipping then you have to pay to ship it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My Heritage - Go to your profile, At the top it says home, family tree, discoveries, DNA, photos, research; mouse over family tree you'll see import GEDcom and manage trees, click manage trees, on the far right under actions you'll see export to GEDcom. My Heritage is limited with free family tree accounts. I have 203 people in my tree, it's telling me I have reached the maximum and will have to pay to add more people.

Now to the DNA

My Heritage DNA is normally $79 but it goes on sale for $49. Note, you can upload your DNA from another company for free family matching, exporting DNA matches, contacting matches and shared surnames of matches. For a fee of $29, you can unlock other features like ethnicity, family trees of matches, chromosome browser, shared DNA matches, shared ethnicities, shared ancestral places. They also offer theory of family relativity that tells how you match some people. There is also a AutoClusters for DNA Matches which is a pay feature.

MyHeritage subscribers who already have a Premium, PremiumPlus or Complete Subscription do NOT have to pay anything to unlock the extra features for uploaded DNA kits. They can upload as many kits as they want and enjoy all the premium features for all uploads.

Join My Heritage, upload your family tree GEDcom file. To upload your DNA from another company, go to your profile, you will see the DNA tab where you can upload your raw data. They're saying they will eventually be charging to upload raw data. To upload DNA to another person in your tree, find them on the tree then click their name, it will open a box on the left that has the link to upload.

My Heritage has a lot of neat features they recently added. I'll post a link to their newest blog about it
Introducing the New DNA Match Review Page

My Heritage has also gotten into health testing for $199‎. I've seen it on sale for as low as $99. I have not done it so can not offer experience. When you click the health testing link you can read what they test for. Here is a blog post I found Navigating Your MyHeritage DNA Health Reports

If you're going to upload to My Heritage but you don't recognize any of your matches, consider messaging your Ancestry DNA matches to ask them to upload for free too. I have 2 cousins that helped me out, It's really helped me see how many are related thru my maternal grandmother. I'm able to click a common match and follow them to see if one of my cousins comes up. They offer so much more to find matches then Ancestry.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:48 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,683 times
Default Lost Florida Relatives

Post after post, these notes almost fit my family. But most of what I know on my adopted sister, halves and steps siblings is in Indiana. I was born in Florida, though, and am looking for family there. Mostly in central Florida: Manatee, Hillsborough, Ocala. Names: Douglas, Wilkins, Snipes, Gilley.

I mention those in case anyone is looking for any name. One thing I know for certain. There is a Wilkins man who is looking for family in Hillsborough County. I tried to get in touch with him but his post is on a Facebook page. I cannot get into Facebook and I cannot find him any other way. I might have information for him and would be glad to help. if I can.

Thank you. hazel

Old 02-21-2021, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Post after post, these notes almost fit my family. But most of what I know on my adopted sister, halves and steps siblings is in Indiana. I was born in Florida, though, and am looking for family there. Mostly in central Florida: Manatee, Hillsborough, Ocala. Names: Douglas, Wilkins, Snipes, Gilley.

I mention those in case anyone is looking for any name. One thing I know for certain. There is a Wilkins man who is looking for family in Hillsborough County. I tried to get in touch with him but his post is on a Facebook page. I cannot get into Facebook and I cannot find him any other way. I might have information for him and would be glad to help. if I can.

Thank you. hazel
Has your adopted sister done DNA? If not, she should at Ancestry 1st, then free upload to My Heritage. FTDNA is also a free upload that she may luck out on. When she has spare cash laying around I suggest 23 and me because some adoptees hit gold there and not ancestry. Ancestry 1st because they have the largest database.

You should make a post about the names you're looking for so that anyone googling will end up here. Post whatever you know.

As for Facebook, I'm not big on it but it's usually the best way to find and communicate with people. Make an account, then try messaging him on Facebook, maybe even send him a friend request. You can then put the profile offline until you need to use it again.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:58 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Has your adopted sister done DNA? If not, she should at Ancestry 1st, then free upload to My Heritage. FTDNA is also a free upload that she may luck out on. When she has spare cash laying around I suggest 23 and me because some adoptees hit gold there and not ancestry. Ancestry 1st because they have the largest database.

You should make a post about the names you're looking for so that anyone googling will end up here. Post whatever you know.

As for Facebook, I'm not big on it but it's usually the best way to find and communicate with people. Make an account, then try messaging him on Facebook, maybe even send him a friend request. You can then put the profile offline until you need to use it again.

Sorry, Roselvr, too late for that. They are all gone. I am the last of the line. And I did make a list of the names in my OP. All I am hoping for now is that anyone looking for a same name can get in touch. Especially that one man. I'm not pushing myself on this. Just whiling away some time to see if I can pick up any small bits. Wimauma is a small town. I might luck out.

Thanks for ideas.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Sorry, Roselvr, too late for that. They are all gone. I am the last of the line. And I did make a list of the names in my OP. All I am hoping for now is that anyone looking for a same name can get in touch. Especially that one man. I'm not pushing myself on this. Just whiling away some time to see if I can pick up any small bits. Wimauma is a small town. I might luck out.

Thanks for ideas.
Do you have her adoption paperwork? Indiana is still a closed records state but people can order records. It does say birth family but then it also says the spouse and family of the adoptee can also order them if you're interested see this page

My Heritage is supposedly going to do DNA from envelopes and stamps but no clue when it will start. If you have any mail from your sister you could send it in for DNA if you wanted to be sure of who her bio family was.

Thankfully most states are opening up records. I never thought I'd see the day NY did but they finally have. I hope Florida will soon follow because there were a lot of dirty adoptions there.

There are no adoption secrets with DNA tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy