U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 07:05 AM

16,047 posts, read 24,752,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwing View Post
Personally, I would not give anyone my DNA. I’ve only broken the law (over 30 years ago), my parents are dead and my relatives stink. : )

I’ve done a lot of genealogy research (really creepy: spell check came up with my maiden name when I typed the letter “g” for genealogy. Just now - as I wrote this. Just now. I haven typed my maiden name for several years. There it goes again. Mkay.

I got stuck with my search at a point because one side of my family has Native American and Canadian roots. Also, folks didn’t care so much about spelling in some regions regarding surnames. My great great grandad was actually one of the census writers/reporters . I only found out because I recognized his handwriting from and old letter he wrote in Seattle about soup and being old - and there was his name!

On my other side, my great aunt was a DAR member, supposedly. Briefly. I was able to trace things back somewhat to a small English town - found out that the family story of our having a bakery was more like having several taverns and arrests. I think my grandad was brought here illegally via Ellis Island. His mother lied.

I could not find great great greats - relatives were uncooperative.

I have found that the LDS site is the most helpful. I did find a lot over time... it used to be free and I think you can search the LDS site for free and decide whether or not you want to pay to review ship manifests and the like. Census rolls are limited and frustrating. I found a couple of people who I believe I’m vaguely related to. I found gravesites - even a random YouTube video of someone searching for a great uncle who was an actor in the 30s-60s. Fun stuff.

I don’t recommend giving out DNA. The best resources for family tree info are your relatives. I regret not asking more from all of them. My parents especially. My dad did really well “interviewing” his grand mum before she died - a traditional Native American ritual - the oral histories. I cherish every page.

Local historical societies are really valuable, as are libraries. Family trees are hard to fill out. I wish you all the best. If you have access to any personal documents and photos perhaps they can help. I have a civil war photo of a relative I can’t identify (daguerreotype? In a little velvet/golden frame) I have searched trying to ID his uniform without luck.

It’s a fun and interesting project to search out ones ancestors, but I’d try to do it without providing my DNA to anyone or spending a dime. You can find stuff without paying someone for it, it’s just a little harder and requires more diligence. Good luck!
You're totally mistaken about law enforcement being able to see everyone's DNA. It's only that way on 2 sites, FTDNA and GEDmatch which is a public tree site.

If LE wants to see people on 23 and me, Ancestry and My Heritage they have to get a warrant which the companies have fought in court.

As PA2UK has said, DNA helps break down brick walls. You don't know how much you're missing out not being able to see if you have matches because you won't do DNA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyo View Post
Thanks again for all the great information!! I'm still plodding through it all. But I have to say I'm a bit annoyed with this K Potter on familysearch. I'm going to call him/her he for ease of writing. I noticed when I began stuff there last fall that he had listed my sister as deceased. Oh, I think I know why: my mother died at my sister's house. Okay, so I fixed that and apparently when you change someone from dead to living it has to be approved? Then yesterday I saw that he had both my husband and myself as deceased and having been born about 1940. None of that is true so I fixed that stuff. I did send him a note but as yet haven't heard from him. I think I got the most annoyed when he put in my stepfather's information. I did not get along with this man so was really annoyed when I saw that because in one view it covered up my father's information so I thought it was gone!! It wasn't, it was just the view I was in at that moment. What the heck??? Who is this person and why is he keying all this information about my family?? Maybe I wouldn't have been so annoyed had I not seen my stepfather's information.....yea. Really did not like that man!!

Okay, done venting. Still waiting for K Potter to reply.....hopefully he can explain himself. but now I wonder if he's from my stepfather's family. Could be.
Don't be so mad because some people will add people as deceased so that when the person who's family it is, will be able to find the correct tree. Yes, then you report that the person is not dead, saying it's your family. Then the profile will go away because it's a living person that you did not enter, so you'll have to enter yourself again.

As for your step father, him being there is correct. To change the order of the marriages, I believe you enter the marriage dates, it should put your father to the top slot and step father below.

Quote:
I just realized it could have been you Roselvr that added the information on my mother's second husband. If so, apologies. I know you were just adding information as you found it.

oops.....
No, I just looked at the change log, I wasn't the one that made either profile on your mother's page if your mother is Goldie. I only attached records and I believe may have merged 2 profiles.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 03:00 PM

78 posts, read 16,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
No, I just looked at the change log, I wasn't the one that made either profile on your mother's page if your mother is Goldie. I only attached records and I believe may have merged 2 profiles.
yep, I finally figured out how to see who made the changes. still haven't heard from K Potter. In the mean time, I've made a new friend in my second cousin who I just discovered last week. Hopefully will get to meet him when the pandemic is over.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:01 AM

Quote:
yep, I finally figured out how to see who made the changes. still haven't heard from K Potter. In the mean time, I've made a new friend in my second cousin who I just discovered last week. Hopefully will get to meet him when the pandemic is over.
Did you upload to My Heritage yet? If you haven't, make sure you do it by March 7th because they're giving you full access to those advanced tools I told you that cost a one time fee of $29. ask your DNA matches to upload too. You can give them this link which is a single reply in my tips thread. I just rewrote it to make it easier to share. If you haven't uploaded there, use the link for directions.

Link to My Heritage's blog post about it -

Offer Extended: Upload Your DNA for Free Access to All DNA Features

Quote:
Due to the enthusiastic response to our week-long offer to waive the unlock fee on the advanced DNA features for uploaded DNA, we have decided to extend the offer another week!

Now those of you who haven’t yet uploaded your DNA data to MyHeritage and enjoyed free access to all DNA features — including the brand-new Genetic Groups — will have another chance!

MyHeritage’s mission is to help people all over the world learn about their family history and bring families together. We know that you have multiple DNA testing services to choose from, and we don’t want the cost of purchasing an additional DNA kit from us to be prohibitive. That’s why, unlike most other DNA testing services, we allow users to upload DNA data from other providers and receive DNA Matches for free. To access additional DNA features, such as Ethnicity Estimates (including Genetic Groups), the One-to-many Chromosome Browser, AutoClusters, and Theory of Family Relativity™, there is usually an unlock fee of $29.

However, we are waiving that fee for an additional week, from March 1–7, 2021. Users who upload their DNA data this week will receive free access to all DNA features on MyHeritage — forever!

If you’ve already uploaded your DNA to MyHeritage, the additional features have already been unlocked, so go check them out now!

If you’ve tested with another service and haven’t uploaded your DNA to MyHeritage yet — there’s never been a better time. Uploading your DNA to MyHeritage is easy, and your results will usually be ready within a day or two. Click here to upload your DNA to MyHeritage.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Did you upload to My Heritage yet? If you haven't, make sure you do it by March 7th because they're giving you full access to those advanced tools I told you that cost a one time fee of $29. ask your DNA matches to upload too. You can give them this link which is a single reply in my tips thread. I just rewrote it to make it easier to share. If you haven't uploaded there, use the link for directions.

Link to My Heritage's blog post about it -

Offer Extended: Upload Your DNA for Free Access to All DNA Features
I actually started there last year, then started filling in the older generations on Ancestry. I have all the older generations in but not the newer generations. Thanks for letting me know.

When I upload to MyHeritage, will is just add the newer information? Hoping that's the case and that it won't double up whatever I have at MyHeritage.

I learned what cemetery my great grandmother is buried from another second cousin. I got his contact information from the second cousin I found at Ancestry. Now I know for sure she is the one in a few photos with my grandparents because my grandfather's mother was killed in the pogroms in Kishinev.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:26 AM

Quote:
I actually started there last year, then started filling in the older generations on Ancestry. I have all the older generations in but not the newer generations. Thanks for letting me know.

When I upload to MyHeritage, will is just add the newer information? Hoping that's the case and that it won't double up whatever I have at MyHeritage.

I learned what cemetery my great grandmother is buried from another second cousin. I got his contact information from the second cousin I found at Ancestry. Now I know for sure she is the one in a few photos with my grandparents because my grandfather's mother was killed in the pogroms in Kishinev.
Since you already have a tree there, I wouldn't upload to the same tree. You may want to save your my heritage tree, rename it to copy, then upload it as a new tree, then grab your ancestry tree and try to merge it with your copy tree. I've never done it before, I don't know if it can be done. I do know my heritage has computer software for a family tree. I've never used it.

When I did my heritage tree, I didn't know about backing up GEDCOM files, I entered my tree by hand. It was very time consuming. I then found out you can only enter 250 people on a free account. Ancestry doesn't have a limit on tree size like my heritage does.

Is Goldie Katz your mother? I put in the request for Goldie Katz at find a grave to add her maiden name Leiderman, the person refused my correction.

I have Goldie connected to her father Sam. Do you know where his wife Pearl is buried so I can look and possibly make a memorial for her. If you're a member of find a grave, you can request a transfer of Goldie and Sam. I'm also not sure where Nathan is buried and if he has a find a grave profile or not.

I just sent Goldie's memorial manager a message to once again add her maiden name and to clarify what information she has that conflicts with my information. I don't know if I'll hear back or if she'll put it through or decline it again.

Quote:
Your recent edit for the Goldie Katz (1923 — 2017) Find a Grave memorial has been declined.

Memorial: Goldie Katz (186249681)
Reported Problem: Not accurate - Their data conflicts with my data.
This was my original suggested edits - I usually leave a flower with the note so I know if they do them all or not.

Quote:
Suggested edits, add 1st husband and father and maiden name Leiderman. Family tree with sources attached https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pe...tails/G4JV-DZ9

Last edited by Roselvr; 03-01-2021 at 06:46 AM..

Old 03-01-2021, 11:57 AM

4,919 posts, read 3,327,980 times
Quote:
You're totally mistaken about law enforcement being able to see everyone's DNA. It's only that way on 2 sites, FTDNA and GEDmatch which is a public tree site.

If LE wants to see people on 23 and me, Ancestry and My Heritage they have to get a warrant which the companies have fought in court.

*snip*
I suspect you didn’t intend your post to read as it does, but feel the need to respond in case someone does believe it.

No, law enforcement has never had access to everyone’s DNA at any of the sites you named. The sites, not law enforcement, check the database for DNA matches and reveal matches. DNA which does not match is not revealed to ANYONE, unless bundled and anonymized (or perhaps owner permission granted) e.g. used for medical research.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Is Goldie Katz your mother? I put in the request for Goldie Katz at find a grave to add her maiden name Leiderman, the person refused my correction.
yes, that's my mother. Oh you know, in searching records I noticed that Leiderman took on many forms: Lederman, Leader among them. so maybe it has something to do with the name? Leiderman is the only name I knew until I started searching for information.

Quote:
I have Goldie connected to her father Sam. Do you know where his wife Pearl is buried so I can look and possibly make a memorial for her. If you're a member of find a grave, you can request a transfer of Goldie and Sam. I'm also not sure where Nathan is buried and if he has a find a grave profile or not.
Pearl is buried at Eden Memorial Park, Mission Hills, CA the same as Sam and my father Israel Nadler. I am not a member at findagrave. Nathan is buried in Star of David Memorial Chapel, North Lauderdale, FL. My mother is buried at Levitt-Weinstein Beth David Chapel, Hollywood, FL. Or Beth David Memorial Gardens, that would be the cemetery I guess. Same address.

Quote:
I just sent Goldie's memorial manager a message to once again add her maiden name and to clarify what information she has that conflicts with my information. I don't know if I'll hear back or if she'll put it through or decline it again.

This was my original suggested edits - I usually leave a flower with the note so I know if they do them all or not.
Odd because those are her dates: 1923-2017. Is that person God? Oh no, can't be or else they'd know that my mother was born in 1923 and died in 2017. Unless it's the name thing?

Old 03-01-2021, 01:08 PM

Oh, Roselvr.....I wonder if the person refused your request because her gravestone says Goldie Nadler. That was her name when she remarried.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Oh, Roselvr.....I wonder if the person refused your request because her gravestone says Goldie Nadler. That was her name when she remarried.
She accepted the new request to fix your moms maiden name. She wasn't understanding a message I sent her. I had told her she had the maiden name wrong. She left me a message on my find a grave profile so your mom is good.

Quote:
yes, that's my mother. Oh you know, in searching records I noticed that Leiderman took on many forms: Lederman, Leader among them. so maybe it has something to do with the name? Leiderman is the only name I knew until I started searching for information.

Pearl is buried at Eden Memorial Park, Mission Hills, CA the same as Sam and my father Israel Nadler. I am not a member at findagrave. Nathan is buried in Star of David Memorial Chapel, North Lauderdale, FL. My mother is buried at Levitt-Weinstein Beth David Chapel, Hollywood, FL. Or Beth David Memorial Gardens, that would be the cemetery I guess. Same address.

Odd because those are her dates: 1923-2017. Is that person God? Oh no, can't be or else they'd know that my mother was born in 1923 and died in 2017. Unless it's the name thing?
Thanks. Everyone has a memorial now, they're all linked, you can see them on Nathan's memorial. Right now your mom's mother is not linked on hers until the manager accepts my edit request.

I also made one for Nathan's wife. I was able to find records for her, her parents and her death. Unfortunately I'm not finding death records for her parents, looked in Chicago and Florida, thinking maybe they retired there like many people did. I would have made find a graves for them too. If you do go to Alice Zolla's father Abraham's profile, there are 2 death record suggestions, they're for the wrong Abraham who was born 40 years before him. I did leave a note at the top of his profile.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
She accepted the new request to fix your moms maiden name. She wasn't understanding a message I sent her. I had told her she had the maiden name wrong. She left me a message on my find a grave profile so your mom is good.

Thanks. Everyone has a memorial now, they're all linked, you can see them on Nathan's memorial. Right now your mom's mother is not linked on hers until the manager accepts my edit request.

I also made one for Nathan's wife. I was able to find records for her, her parents and her death. Unfortunately I'm not finding death records for her parents, looked in Chicago and Florida, thinking maybe they retired there like many people did. I would have made find a graves for them too. If you do go to Alice Zolla's father Abraham's profile, there are 2 death record suggestions, they're for the wrong Abraham who was born 40 years before him. I did leave a note at the top of his profile.
I don't know much about Alice so I'm no help there. but I had her last name as Zolla. That's how my uncle spelled it and he was rarely wrong. Are you sure about Zola?

Thanks for all your work on my family information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy