U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 05:27 AM

74 posts, read 15,415 times

Advertisements

Oh, one other thing.....I tried to find this myself but that cemetery looks to be in disrepair according to some google reviews. I tried to find my great grandmother's grave there but the site was strange. Are you able to find anything on Ethel Rabinowitz's grave? My other second cousin told me that she (along with his grandparents Sam and Dora Robbins) is buried in Waldheim Cemetery in Forest Park, IL. I found one gravestone that at first glance seemed like it was hers, however, I believe the death year was 1901 and I don't think that is correct as I think the earliest that family arrived in the U.S. was 1910. I'm hoping to visit the cemetery myself later this year so if you can't find anything, that's okay. Thanks again for your help!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
She accepted the new request to fix your moms maiden name. She wasn't understanding a message I sent her. I had told her she had the maiden name wrong. She left me a message on my find a grave profile so your mom is good.

Thanks. Everyone has a memorial now, they're all linked, you can see them on Nathan's memorial. Right now your mom's mother is not linked on hers until the manager accepts my edit request.

I also made one for Nathan's wife. I was able to find records for her, her parents and her death. Unfortunately I'm not finding death records for her parents, looked in Chicago and Florida, thinking maybe they retired there like many people did. I would have made find a graves for them too. If you do go to Alice Zolla's father Abraham's profile, there are 2 death record suggestions, they're for the wrong Abraham who was born 40 years before him. I did leave a note at the top of his profile.
One more thing, the obit in the Sun Sentinel says Alice died on 6/29/2002. I wonder if the record was made on 7/2/2002?

Old 03-03-2021, 07:00 AM

15,988 posts, read 24,727,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyo View Post
I don't know much about Alice so I'm no help there. but I had her last name as Zolla. That's how my uncle spelled it and he was rarely wrong. Are you sure about Zola?

Thanks for all your work on my family information!
You're very welcome.

Thanks for reminding me that Alice's last name is Zolla and not Zola. I just checked her profile on family search because it was spelled Zola there, that's where I got it from. After I made her find a grave I went and worked on her family, forgot to go back and edit when all of the records for her family were spelled Zolla. I just looked at Alice's edit logs to see who made her profile, it was you who originally spelled it with one L lol

If you haven't signed up for notifications of changes, you should do that. Go to your mom's profile, on the top right is a star that says follow. Click follow. It will send you a weekly email of changes to your family. I find it very helpful as I'm able to easily catch changes people do to my family. I'm then able to check sources then add it on my ancestry tree or message the person that their change isn't correct.

While on your mom's family search profile, go to the bottom, where your dad is, click his name, the box will come up, you'll see under his name is the "follow star", go down the line to follow everyone, then open Nathan, scroll down to Alice, go on her profile and do the same thing to her parents and siblings.

Did you upload to My Heritage yet? If not, please do that today because you only have until the 7th to get the free tools which you'll need to find any family in Europe. They're the best site for matching DNA with the world.

Quote:
Oh, one other thing.....I tried to find this myself but that cemetery looks to be in disrepair according to some google reviews. I tried to find my great grandmother's grave there but the site was strange. Are you able to find anything on Ethel Rabinowitz's grave? My other second cousin told me that she (along with his grandparents Sam and Dora Robbins) is buried in Waldheim Cemetery in Forest Park, IL. I found one gravestone that at first glance seemed like it was hers, however, I believe the death year was 1901 and I don't think that is correct as I think the earliest that family arrived in the U.S. was 1910. I'm hoping to visit the cemetery myself later this year so if you can't find anything, that's okay. Thanks again for your help!!

There's no memorial for Ethel. Here is the search, you can scroll down to the "E's". Did she have another 1st name with Ethel being her nickname?

I'm seeing a Sam Robbins, unknown DOB with year of death 1978. I'm not seeing a Dora Robbins there either. Her is the search for Robbins at the cemetery.

If you link me to their family search profiles I can make a memorial for them. A lot of cemeteries have not been added to find a grave. Some don't allow volunteers to walk around photographing graves to upload.

Quote:
One more thing, the obit in the Sun Sentinel says Alice died on 6/29/2002. I wonder if the record was made on 7/2/2002?
Do you have a copy of the obit? You can send it to me, I'll add it to her find a grave. I can do this to any of your relatives you have obits for.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
You're very welcome.

Thanks for reminding me that Alice's last name is Zolla and not Zola. I just checked her profile on family search because it was spelled Zola there, that's where I got it from. After I made her find a grave I went and worked on her family, forgot to go back and edit when all of the records for her family were spelled Zolla. I just looked at Alice's edit logs to see who made her profile, it was you who originally spelled it with one L lol

If you haven't signed up for notifications of changes, you should do that. Go to your mom's profile, on the top right is a star that says follow. Click follow. It will send you a weekly email of changes to your family. I find it very helpful as I'm able to easily catch changes people do to my family. I'm then able to check sources then add it on my ancestry tree or message the person that their change isn't correct.

While on your mom's family search profile, go to the bottom, where your dad is, click his name, the box will come up, you'll see under his name is the "follow star", go down the line to follow everyone, then open Nathan, scroll down to Alice, go on her profile and do the same thing to her parents and siblings.

Did you upload to My Heritage yet? If not, please do that today because you only have until the 7th to get the free tools which you'll need to find any family in Europe. They're the best site for matching DNA with the world.

There's no memorial for Ethel. Here is the search, you can scroll down to the "E's". Did she have another 1st name with Ethel being her nickname?

I'm seeing a Sam Robbins, unknown DOB with year of death 1978. I'm not seeing a Dora Robbins there either. Her is the search for Robbins at the cemetery.

If you link me to their family search profiles I can make a memorial for them. A lot of cemeteries have not been added to find a grave. Some don't allow volunteers to walk around photographing graves to upload.

Do you have a copy of the obit? You can send it to me, I'll add it to her find a grave. I can do this to any of your relatives you have obits for.
oh my gosh, so much information!! yea, I had spelled Zola incorrectly, then looked at my uncle's writing and saw that it was Zolla and I guess I had forgotten that I even entered her there.

Next, I am learning more and more from you!! With that I found my great grandmother's grave. The thing with the name Rabinowitz is that all of my grandmother's brothers changed their names when they came to the U.S. And I have seen many forms: Robbins, Robins, Robbin, Rubin, Ruben.....so I had a hunch and looked for Robbin and here is Ethel's grave! and now I have her birth year and death date. yay!! Plus I have a few photos of her. One is from 1920, the other looked to be later in life so then I was wondering if it was my other great grandmother. Nope because the photo on her gravestone is very similar to the one later in life so now I know that both are photos of her.

So, right, you have a different Sam Robbins. And my second cousin had his last name as Robbins but my uncle said Robbin so yep, I found his and his wife's grave too! Under Robbin. And my second cousin told me when Sam died so yep, these are my great uncle and aunt.

All these little bits of information are so fun!!

I have not uploaded to MyHeritage yet because I'm not sure I want to deal with the stuff that I keyed in there. maybe I'll just try it and see what happens.

Here's the page I found Alice's obit on.

Old 03-07-2021, 06:21 AM

I did upload my tree and DNA to MyHeritage but maybe they're experiencing high traffic due to today being the last day of their offer as I keep running into errors. Everything uploaded okay but one branch has kids listed both under the mother and the father. I will play with it a little later.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
oh my gosh, so much information!! yea, I had spelled Zola incorrectly, then looked at my uncle's writing and saw that it was Zolla and I guess I had forgotten that I even entered her there.

Next, I am learning more and more from you!! With that I found my great grandmother's grave. The thing with the name Rabinowitz is that all of my grandmother's brothers changed their names when they came to the U.S. And I have seen many forms: Robbins, Robins, Robbin, Rubin, Ruben.....so I had a hunch and looked for Robbin and here is Ethel's grave! and now I have her birth year and death date. yay!! Plus I have a few photos of her. One is from 1920, the other looked to be later in life so then I was wondering if it was my other great grandmother. Nope because the photo on her gravestone is very similar to the one later in life so now I know that both are photos of her.

So, right, you have a different Sam Robbins. And my second cousin had his last name as Robbins but my uncle said Robbin so yep, I found his and his wife's grave too! Under Robbin. And my second cousin told me when Sam died so yep, these are my great uncle and aunt.

All these little bits of information are so fun!!

I have not uploaded to MyHeritage yet because I'm not sure I want to deal with the stuff that I keyed in there. maybe I'll just try it and see what happens.

Here's the page I found Alice's obit on.

Sorry, didn't mean to go missing for a few days. I originally read your reply when you did it but I got side tracked along the way. My daughter and grandson used to live with us then moved in October, they temporarily came back December 5th due to a bug issue at her rental, we finally got it under control so they finally went back a week ago. Of course she left stuff here so I've been going nuts trying to find her apple pencil and whatever she left plus working on putting my house back together because we had to bring so much of her stuff here.

Have you checked to make sure it did upload to My Heritage? I hope so. If not, it's still a free upload, you just don't get the extra tools unless you pay $29. It's very worth it to pay. I went back to the offer extended blog post and also the main blog page, unfortunately they haven't extended it again, sometimes they do.

Thanks for Ethel's grave. I linked it on her family search page. For her husband Yoyel, do you know if he had an Americanized name because I'm not seeing him on find a grave. Here is the search page. I'd love to link them on find a grave. If you're not seeing him on the search page, I can make one for him. I linked Ethel on Pearls memorial. I linked Ethel on Samuel's memorial. Who is his wife? There's no one linked on his find a grave nor is anyone listed on his family search profile. I'm seeing a bunch of records for Samuel Robbin at family search but there's 2 listed at the top born the same year. One September 10, 1889 born in Biten, Grodno, Russia and another born November 15, 1889 born in Odessa, Russia. One's wife is named Rose, the other Annie E Thompson. There are a few others with a different year of birth that don't have many records with other spouses.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to go missing for a few days. I originally read your reply when you did it but I got side tracked along the way. My daughter and grandson used to live with us then moved in October, they temporarily came back December 5th due to a bug issue at her rental, we finally got it under control so they finally went back a week ago. Of course she left stuff here so I've been going nuts trying to find her apple pencil and whatever she left plus working on putting my house back together because we had to bring so much of her stuff here.

Have you checked to make sure it did upload to My Heritage? I hope so. If not, it's still a free upload, you just don't get the extra tools unless you pay $29. It's very worth it to pay. I went back to the offer extended blog post and also the main blog page, unfortunately they haven't extended it again, sometimes they do.

Thanks for Ethel's grave. I linked it on her family search page. For her husband Yoyel, do you know if he had an Americanized name because I'm not seeing him on find a grave. Here is the search page. I'd love to link them on find a grave. If you're not seeing him on the search page, I can make one for him. I linked Ethel on Pearls memorial. I linked Ethel on Samuel's memorial. Who is his wife? There's no one linked on his find a grave nor is anyone listed on his family search profile. I'm seeing a bunch of records for Samuel Robbin at family search but there's 2 listed at the top born the same year. One September 10, 1889 born in Biten, Grodno, Russia and another born November 15, 1889 born in Odessa, Russia. One's wife is named Rose, the other Annie E Thompson. There are a few others with a different year of birth that don't have many records with other spouses.
No worries at all. People get busy. My tree did get uploaded to MyHeritage but still no DNA matches. They say they're not done with that yet. So far I'm disappointed because I had hoped to find some "record" matches with my grandfather Sam Leiderman's side of the family. I see a bunch of stuff on my father's side (Nadlers/Klongs/Coopermans....etc.) but that has all been documented by my uncle, I probably mentioned that already.

When you say Samuel, do you mean Samuel Robbin? or Samuel Leiderman? Because Samuel Robbin's wife, Dora, is buried next to him here.

Those listings for Samuel Robbin that you found are not him. He was born in 1889(I don't have a date, just the year) in Kishinev I am pretty sure. I don't know much about Yoyel but the English equivalent is Joel and I believe my brother was named for him. Ethel is buried by herself I wonder if Yoyel died in Kishinev?

Last edited by tobyo; 03-08-2021 at 01:55 PM..

Old 03-09-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
No worries at all. People get busy. My tree did get uploaded to MyHeritage but still no DNA matches. They say they're not done with that yet. So far I'm disappointed because I had hoped to find some "record" matches with my grandfather Sam Leiderman's side of the family. I see a bunch of stuff on my father's side (Nadlers/Klongs/Coopermans....etc.) but that has all been documented by my uncle, I probably mentioned that already.

When you say Samuel, do you mean Samuel Robbin? or Samuel Leiderman? Because Samuel Robbin's wife, Dora, is buried next to him here.

Those listings for Samuel Robbin that you found are not him. He was born in 1889(I don't have a date, just the year) in Kishinev I am pretty sure. I don't know much about Yoyel but the English equivalent is Joel and I believe my brother was named for him. Ethel is buried by herself I wonder if Yoyel died in Kishinev?

When I said Sam, I was talking about Robbin. I don't know why I didn't actually click the headstone photo to see if his wife was listed. I went and asked for edits for Dora's find a grave. I was able to find her date of birth and death along with the places of birth in records on family search so I asked for edits. I also suggested Sam get added so they're linked. I then found their daughter Jean Robbin Gordon on a death record at family search, I made her a profile, so her parents are linked on hers. I found a record that they had a daughter Hannah, I looked in the cemetery for one, I found a Bessie Hannah Robbin who passed in 1991 which is similar to Jean's death of 1993 so I made note of it in case it is her. I made Yoyel a memorial, added Joel as a nick name so that it's noted.

I didn't find any birth records for Sam.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
When I said Sam, I was talking about Robbin. I don't know why I didn't actually click the headstone photo to see if his wife was listed. I went and asked for edits for Dora's find a grave. I was able to find her date of birth and death along with the places of birth in records on family search so I asked for edits. I also suggested Sam get added so they're linked. I then found their daughter Jean Robbin Gordon on a death record at family search, I made her a profile, so her parents are linked on hers. I found a record that they had a daughter Hannah, I looked in the cemetery for one, I found a Bessie Hannah Robbin who passed in 1991 which is similar to Jean's death of 1993 so I made note of it in case it is her. I made Yoyel a memorial, added Joel as a nick name so that it's noted.

I didn't find any birth records for Sam.
I think Hannah might be Annette. Sam and Dora had two daughters, Annette (which I found listed as Hannah somewhere, maybe a census) and Jeannette. It's Jeannette's son that I found on Ancestry then he connected me with one of Annette's sons. From him I learned this: Annette Robbin b. 1910 – d. 2/14/1999 married to Joseph Simon b. 1908 - d. 3/9/1996, m. 8/17/1933, both are buried in Star of David Memorial Gardens, North Lauderdale, FL (same cemetery as my Uncle Nate and Aunt Alice). I actually registered finally at findagrave and found their headstone here.

I found Annette and Joe's obits, that's how I know the dates of their deaths. That is probably the correct Jean, the dates are the same as what I have. And my uncle called her Jean.

Not surprised there are no birth records for Sam, and probably not for any of the Robbin brothers or sisters(there were 7 of them). They were all born in Kishinev is my understanding and fled the pogroms. I believe the oldest, Morris, came here first then the rest followed including my great grandmother apparently. I just learned that in the last week. Annette Simon's son, my other second cousin, is the one that told me where our great grandmother Ethel is buried.

Old 03-13-2021, 05:25 AM

Quote:
I think Hannah might be Annette. Sam and Dora had two daughters, Annette (which I found listed as Hannah somewhere, maybe a census) and Jeannette. It's Jeannette's son that I found on Ancestry then he connected me with one of Annette's sons. From him I learned this: Annette Robbin b. 1910 – d. 2/14/1999 married to Joseph Simon b. 1908 - d. 3/9/1996, m. 8/17/1933, both are buried in Star of David Memorial Gardens, North Lauderdale, FL (same cemetery as my Uncle Nate and Aunt Alice). I actually registered finally at findagrave and found their headstone here.

I found Annette and Joe's obits, that's how I know the dates of their deaths. That is probably the correct Jean, the dates are the same as what I have. And my uncle called her Jean.

Not surprised there are no birth records for Sam, and probably not for any of the Robbin brothers or sisters(there were 7 of them). They were all born in Kishinev is my understanding and fled the pogroms. I believe the oldest, Morris, came here first then the rest followed including my great grandmother apparently. I just learned that in the last week. Annette Simon's son, my other second cousin, is the one that told me where our great grandmother Ethel is buried.
I requested Joseph to be linked on Annette's find a grave. If you link to their family search profiles I'll do my thing on find a grave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy