U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 09:37 AM

15,988 posts, read 24,727,958 times

Advertisements

You posted in the don't understand the appeal thread, going to bring over your comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyo View Post
I am late to the party but wanted to give my perspective......

For years I have known several generations of my father's side due to my uncle's great research. I don't know if that's what spurred me on to wanting to fill in my mother's side. It could have been started by a project my sister did in college. She asked my mother's brother to tell her everything he knew about our mother's family. He not only recorded a cassette (this was 1979, and the cassette has since been transferred to a CD) but he wrote out a sketch of a tree.

In 1996 I wrote up my version of the tree, sent it to my mother highlighting stuff I was hoping she'd fill in. She never replied and I now have the letter and accompanying highlighted pages because she died over 3 years ago.

I did my DNA through Ancestry last year and a familiar name appeared in my matches. I wrote to him but he never replied. I was looking at the list again about two weeks ago and another with familiar names in his tree appeared. I wrote him and he replied and it turns out we are second cousins. And he filled in some of the holes in my tree. He also gave me the contact information for his cousin, another of my second cousins (their mothers and my mother were first cousins), and he gave me even more information!

One of the main points I wanted to make here is that not everyone has history going back hundreds of years. I am one of those. My mother's parents left their home country to escape the pogroms. So all I had to start from was my uncle's information. Since then I learned that her mother arrived here in 1912. On our first pass through our mother's photos/documents we found our grandmother's Inspection Card when she crossed the border from Quebec to the U.S. From that we were able to see her name on the ship's manifest. I got the chills when I saw her name!! I searched for other family names but I couldn't find any. I sat there and imagined the courage of that 19 year old young woman travelling BY HERSELF all the way from Russia.

Since that discovery one of my mother's photos is of my grandmother and her younger brother. It was taken in Kishinev about two months before she arrived in the U.S. Again, I got the chills (and again as I write this). It seems they took that photo before she left on her long journey. Imagine how long it must have taken her to get to the ship in England. Then travel all the way across the ocean to Quebec. And she STILL wasn't done with her journey as she was headed to Chicago to meet up with her older brothers who came here before she did. One of them brought their mother, my great grandmother, with them and my second cousin told me where she is buried in Chicago.

So, for me, finding all the pieces of my mother's family history has been exciting!! For someone like me who had just a general idea of where I came from, this has been a lifelong goal coming to fruition. And I see that it's a work in progress. I will leave you all with a story I love which just happened this week.

When my sister and I were going through photos there were a handful with Yiddish written on the back. We scanned those and I had been looking for a translator. One photo really confused us because the writing was definitely not Yiddish(turns out it's German) and there was some Russian on it as well. So we labeled it "unknown Russian man". The other day I was staring at that writing when I finally saw the man's name written at the bottom and underlined: Samuel Rabinowitz. If I was right, this would be the grandfather of the two second cousins I just met. I sent them the photo to see if they had any that I could compare this photo with. One writes back "I have this exact same photo!!" It is indeed their grandfather and I now know the approximate date of the photo: 1908. I also now know what my copy says on the back: I give this card as a memento to remember me by forever. You know what Sam? It worked!! I will definitely remember you!!
Quote:
My internet is being goofy yet again so I wanted to get my initial post done. But I wanted to add a little more. I now have a rough sketch of my mother's mother's family and only have my great grandmother as the beginning. I have my great grandfather's name but nothing else. I have not been able to find much for my grandfather's side. I did learn that he came to the U.S. in 1913 via his naturalization record and I found what is probably his name on a ship's manifest that landed in Nova Scotia. I say probably because it lists his language as Hebrew and his occupation as tailor. I don't know about those two things but his age is accurate and his destination was Chicago and the ship landed in December 1913. I would love to know if both my grandparents knew each other in Russia. I know that they were both from Kishinev but did they meet and marry in Chicago? It's anyone's guess. I will keep digging but for now I'm more than satisfied with what I already know about my grandmother's family. Again, a lifelong goal coming to fruition and I have a couple of new friends in my second cousins that I just met. I'm hoping to meet up with them later this year when we celebrate my uncle's 90th birthday in Chicago (the same uncle who documented my father's family). Yay!!

Is Kishinev the name of their village? If so, they probably did know each other.

I guess you looked at their immigration records. Some of them list a relative at home and name of person at destination but not all of them do. I managed to get one of my daughters 3rd great grandmothers maiden name in Russia that way, she listed her as mother. If they listed an address at the destination, you'd know if they went to the same place.

Best suggestion I have is to find Jewish and Russian Facebook groups. They will either be Jewish genealogy or like Russian DNA where you upload your results to GEDmatch, then enter it into their application form. It will then tell you if you have any DNA matches in the group.

There is supposedly a lot of information available online for Jewish people but I haven't needed it yet. I eventually will with my maternal grandmothers side. I believe my great grandfather was Jewish because I found their last name in a Hungarian Jewish cemetery. I haven't found my great grandmothers maiden name yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 09:08 PM

74 posts, read 15,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Is Kishinev the name of their village? If so, they probably did know each other.
It's a fairly big city and I looked up the population at the time they were there and it was about 120,000 so they might have known each other. but maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Best suggestion I have is to find Jewish and Russian Facebook groups. They will either be Jewish genealogy or like Russian DNA where you upload your results to GEDmatch, then enter it into their application form. It will then tell you if you have any DNA matches in the group.

There is supposedly a lot of information available online for Jewish people but I haven't needed it yet. I eventually will with my maternal grandmothers side. I believe my great grandfather was Jewish because I found their last name in a Hungarian Jewish cemetery. I haven't found my great grandmothers maiden name yet.
Thanks, I'll look for Facebook groups. and google to see if I can find information on Jewish people.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
It's a fairly big city and I looked up the population at the time they were there and it was about 120,000 so they might have known each other. but maybe not.

Thanks, I'll look for Facebook groups. and google to see if I can find information on Jewish people.

I just learned something new. I believe you said you're on GEDmatch? Look on the main page, under where you do the matches and one to one you'll see groups. A lot of those groups are now using a plug in on GEDmatch instead of using a "matchmaker" tool in those groups.

Go into the groups listing there by clicking on ancestor projects, hit CTRL on the lower left of your keyboard, then hit the F key, it will open your browser search in the lower left corner. Type in Jewish, hit enter on the keyboard. Use the arrow to scroll through them. Same with Russia, there may even be one for the town.

Once you find the ancestor group, select join. Some give their FB group links too so you can join their FB group at the same time. Some you have to join the FB group 1st then join on GEDmatch. It will match your DNA with those in the group so you know which of your GEDmatch matches are in the group. After they ok you, you go back to the ancestor group tool and run it, it will tell you the matches in that group. You do a screen shot or picture, then post it in the group, tagging the members you match.

I don't think I've said it, some are Jewish genealogy FB groups, others are Jewish DNA FB groups. Usually if you type Jewish in the FB search, both should come up when you click groups for results.

Here is where you'll see ancestor projects -

DNA Applications:

One-To-Many Beta - give it a try
One-To-Many DNA Comparison Result
One-to-One Autosomal DNA Comparison
One-to-One X-DNA Comparison
Admixture (heritage)
Admixture / Oracle with
Population Search
People who match both,
or 1 of 2 kits
DNA File Diagnostic Utility
Analyze DNA file upload for potential problems.
Are your parents related?
3-D Chromosome Browser
Archaic DNA Matches
Ancestor Projects (Surname, Geographical, Historical Roots)

GEDmatch Forums

Gedmatch Forums - Starting over!

Last edited by Roselvr; 03-17-2021 at 11:23 PM..

Old 03-18-2021, 12:26 PM

74 posts, read 15,415 times
I am not on GEDmatch but maybe I should be.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:48 PM

10,555 posts, read 5,685,584 times
Using the Gedmatch groups tool to join and then match to people in that group and then follow-up by joining the corresponding Facebook group has been helpful. Some of the Facebook groups are very active. They can offer advice or often translate some phrase or entry to English if that is a problem.

Old Today, 05:34 AM

Quote:
I am not on GEDmatch but maybe I should be.

Yes, upload to GEDmatch and join the groups. GEDmatch participates in LE (law enforcement) DNA matching. If you don't want to participate, when uploading, scroll to the bottom. The 1st box is checked, you want the 2nd box to opt out of LE matching. If you miss it, once you're uploaded and on the main page, all you have to do is click the LE cop icon to turn it off. My only gripe is GEDmatch and FTDNA both auto opt people in. If you do not opt in, do not upload a family tree GEDcom there because they can find it and use it. Another gripe is LE can bypass the opt out by running the match of the matches they get. I know they do it because I have a friend that identifies Jane and John Does using GEDmatch. They will log out of the Doe account and into their own to run it. I know this is all over your head because you're not there yet, I just like to mention it.

Let me know if you run into snags searching for Facebook groups to join. I can run the search when I wake up and have more time. I do know there are a lot of helpful sites and groups out there to find Jewish records. You may even want to consider making a new post just for help with Jewish records for all of the regulars that haven't commented in this thread because more help wasn't need for what you posted about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy