Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 05:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,398,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Skip gates does it again. In a recent episode on the ancestry of Roseanne Cash, daughter of Johnny Cash, Finding your roots confirmed old rumors from the 60's about Johnny Cash's wife, Vivian cash, who once stirred controversy because she was suspected to be of negro descent.

Gates has an odd preoccupation with "passing" as a subject, and enjoys exposing passers by fishing out any black ancestor he can find. So when Roseanne Cash was on the show, he knew what he was doing. He successfully found "mulatto" census records, a paper trail to a slave, manumission records, and a DNA test confirming that Vivian Cash indeed had a black ancestor - just one though.

While it was interesting that he confirmed old rumors about Cash's wife, these kinds of episodes seem to be more about sensationalism than ancestry. He's like today's Walter Plecker or Naomi Drake, who exposed passing negros for a living and enjoyed what they did.

Surely there were plenty of interesting stories to tell about the other 97% of Roseanne Cash's ancestry. No?
Roseanne Cash aside. do you not know the history of the one drop rule and people being identified as being Black? Do you not know the history of "passing?"

As a white person, perhaps you can choose to be dismissive of these things. For Black people, these issues broke up families and got people killed. So, yeah, it's something worth noting.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:25 PM

3,804 posts, read 2,168,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
As a white person, perhaps you can choose to be dismissive of these things.
I'm a black person and think that "passing" is a worn-out subject.

Skip Gates's obsession with "passing" is a recurring theme is all of his programming. He does this over and over again.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:45 PM

6,904 posts, read 11,158,704 times
Quote:

Skip Gates's obsession with "passing" is a recurring theme is all of his programming. He does this over and over again.
Just wondering, are you a long standing of critic of his? Or do you only find this topic in genealogy overdone?

I ask because I know Dr. Gates has his share of detractors out there.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:52 PM

1,412 posts, read 716,907 times
Quote:
Skip gates does it again. In a recent episode on the ancestry of Roseanne Cash, daughter of Johnny Cash, Finding your roots confirmed old rumors from the 60's about Johnny Cash's wife, Vivian cash, who once stirred controversy because she was suspected to be of negro descent.

Gates has an odd preoccupation with "passing" as a subject, and enjoys exposing passers by fishing out any black ancestor he can find. So when Roseanne Cash was on the show, he knew what he was doing. He successfully found "mulatto" census records, a paper trail to a slave, manumission records, and a DNA test confirming that Vivian Cash indeed had a black ancestor - just one though.

While it was interesting that he confirmed old rumors about Cash's wife, these kinds of episodes seem to be more about sensationalism than ancestry. He's like today's Walter Plecker or Naomi Drake, who exposed passing negros for a living and enjoyed what they did.

Surely there were plenty of interesting stories to tell about the other 97% of Roseanne Cash's ancestry. No?
It's not just one ancestor though, all of that slaves ancestors are her ancestors also. and chances are she already knew more about the other 97% of her ancestry as those family stories were not hidden so bits and pieces got passed down, also are you saying she should ignore that 3% of her DNA?

Old 02-28-2021, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 4,090 times
There's a natural draw towards the outlier in DNA and with the intersection of culture, race, perception. I strongly identify with my Irish family. My maternal grandparents were both born in Ireland, we still have strong ties to Ireland and family there. But my DNA test showed 7% -- roughly one great-great-grandparent -- American Indian. That was what caught my eye and what everybody talked about because it was the unknown. Not because it was a matter of identity (I'm still white and still Irish), but it was just the unknown part of a story we thought we knew. Personally I'd love to have someone like Gates track down where that came from and what the story is.

Roseanne Cash volunteered for the show and wanted to know. That's a lot different than exposing someone as "passing" for white when they don't want to be exposed, and when they might possibly face severe or even deadly consequences for being exposed as a PoC passing as white. It's the same reason it's totally acceptable for a magazine to run a story interviewing a celebrity or athlete or businessperson who's decided to come out as LGBT, but it would be really crappy of them if they ran a story outing them when they didn't want to be.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:33 PM

5,280 posts, read 5,949,500 times
Equating "Skip" Gates with Walter Plecker is disgusting.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:46 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,584,324 times
Quote:

"Passing" is certainly not a worn-out subject. You may not realize just how many whites have no knowledge of the history of "passing", and a lot of other black history topics. I'm in my 50's and didn't know about it until this show.
Gates is doing an excellent job of bringing the history of America to the general public through the study of DNA.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:58 PM

4,922 posts, read 7,285,539 times
Quote:
He did spend quite a lot of time on her Sicilian ancestry, I think more than on her African ancestry. It was the Sicilian ancestry that was the common thread between Roseanne Cash and Clint Black. The African connections were secondary.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:05 AM

3,804 posts, read 2,168,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Equating "Skip" Gates with Walter Plecker is disgusting.
No it's not.

They're both doing exactly the same thing - for a living. And Gates believes in the notion of "passing" as much as Plecker and Naomi Drake.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:05 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,584,324 times
Quote:
No it's not.

They're both doing exactly the same thing - for a living. And Gates believes in the notion of "passing" as much as Plecker and Naomi Drake.
Do you believe that "passing" was a falacy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy