U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 09:08 AM

15,882 posts, read 24,665,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Thank you so much for sharing this! I'm uploading right now as I write this. I love having all the tools possible to indulge my DNA & Genealogy hobby.

I love having all of the tools too. Thankfully when I upload a new test, I'm able to use the tools on the new one with no issue, so I guess once you have them, you have it for all of your DNA profiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The advanced DNA features continued not to be unlocked nor could I find a way to unlock them without paying the $29 fee. I was therefore forced to re-upload my DNA results. I however first had to delete the previously uploaded DNA test results tied to my account before being allowed to upload again. I now have to wait several days for these DNA results to be processed.
Sorry you had to delete to reupload, that sucks! I haven't been to the FB group to see if anyone else had issues and if they offered a work around. The other option is forking over the $29.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 08:57 PM

4,254 posts, read 4,722,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Yes, I'd save the kit for a relative and upload one of your samples there. It really makes no sense in paying for something you can get free. When you buy a test, they do not include the advanced tools that we uploaders pay $29 for. You would have to purchase a $100 subscription plan to get the tools which makes no sense to me why they'd give uploaders the $29 option but not people who buy the test. It should be included in the purchase price.

When you upload to My Heritage, make a quick tree or upload a GEDCOM file, then upload your DNA and your fathers too. Its very easy to do your fathers, you click him on your family tree, his card will open on the left, you'll see their name, DOB/DOD then Research this person, Order DNA test, Upload DNA data. Click upload, it opens in a new page, accept their terms, then upload. It takes a day or 2.

I'd work on it today if you have time so that will give you a few days if you run into issues.
Thank you for the advice. I uploaded my father's dna data zipped and mine in csv? format. If either or both don't work, I'll try again later. I did not load my full tree, but started with my parents. In terms of my tree, I didn't upload it from Ancestry because I didn't know how to eliminate my paternal line. The only genealogy program I have on my computer is on old version of Legacy, which I never really figured out how to use properly.

BTW, I paid for both the full subscription plan AND the DNA kit last November while they were on sale. Shoot me now.

Old 03-09-2021, 01:33 AM

15,882 posts, read 24,665,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Thank you for the advice. I uploaded my father's dna data zipped and mine in csv? format. If either or both don't work, I'll try again later. I did not load my full tree, but started with my parents. In terms of my tree, I didn't upload it from Ancestry because I didn't know how to eliminate my paternal line. The only genealogy program I have on my computer is on old version of Legacy, which I never really figured out how to use properly.

It's actually pretty easy to chop off your paternal side. Go back to my directions in the 1st post to save your Ancestry tree except reupload it to Ancestry as a new tree but save it as something like My Heritage Maternal Tree.

Open the new tree, then chop off the paternal line by going to your father, top right corner, edit, delete person. You've chopped off his whole branch. I believe it would be similar at My Heritage if you uploaded it there.

Why do you only want to do your maternal tree?

Roots Magic family tree is a free download

My Heritage has a family tree program Family Tree Builder. I believe you're able to sync it with their online tree, if so, you'd be able to replace the tree pretty easy. There are usually tons of posts about it in the My Heritage Facebook group which I suggest you join. It's not run by My Heritage but they have employees that do go there to help with support issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
BTW, I paid for both the full subscription plan AND the DNA kit last November while they were on sale. Shoot me now.

You're not the 1st and you won't be the last. Many people do, even when I specifically tell them not to. They see the sale price of $49 or $39 and just forget what I've said.

I don't know why My Heritage treats uploaders better then people who buy the DNA kit. It makes no sense to me why they have to pay a $100 subscription fee to get the $29 tools that uploaders can get.

All I know is that those of us that do upload helps them in the long run because we're making their DNA database grow.

Last edited by Roselvr; 03-09-2021 at 01:46 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM

4,254 posts, read 4,722,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
It's actually pretty easy to chop off your paternal side. Go back to my directions in the 1st post to save your Ancestry tree except reupload it to Ancestry as a new tree but save it as something like My Heritage Maternal Tree.

Open the new tree, then chop off the paternal line by going to your father, top right corner, edit, delete person. You've chopped off his whole branch. I believe it would be similar at My Heritage if you uploaded it there.

Why do you only want to do your maternal tree?

Roots Magic family tree is a free download

My Heritage has a family tree program Family Tree Builder. I believe you're able to sync it with their online tree, if so, you'd be able to replace the tree pretty easy. There are usually tons of posts about it in the My Heritage Facebook group which I suggest you join. It's not run by My Heritage but they have employees that do go there to help with support issues.

You're not the 1st and you won't be the last. Many people do, even when I specifically tell them not to. They see the sale price of $49 or $39 and just forget what I've said.

I don't know why My Heritage treats uploaders better then people who buy the DNA kit. It makes no sense to me why they have to pay a $100 subscription fee to get the $29 tools that uploaders can get.

All I know is that those of us that do upload helps them in the long run because we're making their DNA database grow.
Thanks for the detailed advice. I purchased the Complete Plan for 50% off, $134.55. It's a one-year subscription, guaranteed renewable at the same discount.

My father's tree would be huge and frankly, I've never been interested in English or Scottish history. His line includes the Stewarts, Bryans, etc. For that matter, I have zero interest in pre-1800 history. One day, I came across one of my ggg? grandfathers who had over 20+ children. Each successive wife died young, leaving behind 7-8 children. I was gobsmacked. Yeah, no. Life's too short.

My mother's line is a real mystery. In fact, the only item I have on my bucket list is to break through the multiple brick walls on that line. If ever get my papers organized, I intend to hire a "pro" to help me with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy