Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 05:06 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

Link to My Heritage's blog post about uploading your DNA for free and having the advanced tools for free which normally runs $29.

Offer Extended: Upload Your DNA for Free Access to All DNA Features

Quote:
Due to the enthusiastic response to our week-long offer to waive the unlock fee on the advanced DNA features for uploaded DNA, we have decided to extend the offer another week!

Now those of you who haven’t yet uploaded your DNA data to MyHeritage and enjoyed free access to all DNA features — including the brand-new Genetic Groups — will have another chance!

MyHeritage’s mission is to help people all over the world learn about their family history and bring families together. We know that you have multiple DNA testing services to choose from, and we don’t want the cost of purchasing an additional DNA kit from us to be prohibitive. That’s why, unlike most other DNA testing services, we allow users to upload DNA data from other providers and receive DNA Matches for free. To access additional DNA features, such as Ethnicity Estimates (including Genetic Groups), the One-to-many Chromosome Browser, AutoClusters, and Theory of Family Relativity™, there is usually an unlock fee of $29.

However, we are waiving that fee for an additional week, from March 1–7, 2021. Users who upload their DNA data this week will receive free access to all DNA features on MyHeritage — forever!

If you’ve already uploaded your DNA to MyHeritage, the additional features have already been unlocked, so go check them out now!

If you’ve tested with another service and haven’t uploaded your DNA to MyHeritage yet — there’s never been a better time. Uploading your DNA to MyHeritage is easy, and your results will usually be ready within a day or two. Click here to upload your DNA to MyHeritage.

Directions to save your family tree, download RAW DNA data and upload to My Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Family Tree Sites and GEDcom Files - Back up your family tree to upload to other sites

Ancestry - go to your family tree, next click the name of your tree in the top left corner, you'll see tree settings, click on it. On the right side you'll see a white box with Your home person in this tree; Your home person in this tree; Hint preferences; Manage your tree - Export your family tree data, as a GEDCOM file, to your computer, the GEDcom download will take a few seconds to generate.

My Heritage - Go to your profile, At the top it says home, family tree, discoveries, DNA, photos, research; mouse over family tree you'll see import GEDcom and manage trees, click manage trees, on the far right under actions you'll see export to GEDcom. My Heritage is limited with free family tree accounts. I have 203 people in my tree, it's telling me I have reached the maximum and will have to pay to add more people.

Now to the DNA

23 and me - Accessing your Raw Data - 23 and me will give you warnings about how your DNA will not be secure once you download it. They try to scare people from downloading their results. You'll be uploading it to My Heritage who will also keep your data secure. If you have any questions, ask either in the thread or DM me.

Quote:
You can access your raw genetic data within your 23andMe account one of three ways:

Navigate directly to you.23andme.com/tools/data/

Click on Resource in the footer at the bottom of your homepage, and select Browse Raw Data from the available resources.

Visit your Account Settings and click on “View” under 23andMe Data. You will see a blue “Download Raw Data” button which will redirect you to the download raw data page.

The main view of the Browse Raw Data feature shows the same pictorial representation of each chromosome — including a Y chromosome — for all users. It is important to note that except in rare genetic cases, women do not inherit a Y chromosome and will see “not determined” for markers found on the Y chromosome.

Downloading Your Raw Data - To download your raw data, click on the Download tab from within the top navigation bar within the Browse Raw Data feature and scroll down until you see the "Submit request" button. You will receive an email to the email address associated with your 23andMe account when your raw data download file is ready. Typically files are ready within 1 hour.

Take me to Raw Data Download.
FTDNA Family Tree DNA - FTDNA Accessing your Raw Data to upload to GEDmatch

Quote:
1. Log in to your account at FTDNA.

2. FTDNA actually has two menus to help you navigate their site. You can access your raw data from your landing page which is the home link on the top left. Once on the home page, under your Family Finder results, it says download data next to matches, my origins and matrix.

or from the FTNDA top menu after you have logged in, you'll see Home, myDNA. Click myDNA, mouse over family finder, at the bottom it says download RAW DNA.

3. In the download menu you want to choose Build 37. Click on the arrow and the file will be downloaded to your default download folder. You will need to download the main file as well as the X chromosome file. Don't try to open or rename it. You can later move it to a location where you will be able to easily find it.
Ancestry DNA

Quote:
How to access and download your autosomal DNA results from AncestryDNA once you're ready to upload to other sites.

1. Navigate to the Ancestry.com website homepage.
2. In the upper-right corner, click Sign In to display the sign in window.
3. In the Username or email field, enter your username or email.
4. In the Password field, enter your password.
5. Click Sign In. Your Ancestry home page is displayed.
6. On the menu bar, click DNA > Your DNA Results Summary. The AncestryDNA home page is displayed.
7. On the right side of the page, click Settings. Your Test Settings page is displayed.
8. Scroll to the bottom of the page to Actions.
9. Under Actions you'll see Download DNA Data. Download a .zip file of your DNA data. Click Download. The Download your raw DNA data window is displayed.
10. Enter your password in the password field and click I understand that after my DNA data is downloaded, the downloaded copy will not be protected by AncestryDNA's security measures. When I download my DNA, I assume all risk of storing, securing, and protecting my downloaded data (they're trying to discourage you from downloading YOUR OWN DNA
11. Click Confirm. A window saying Almost there. Check your email is displayed.
12. Check your email for an email from AncestryDNA with the subject line Your request to download AncestryDNA raw data.
13. In the email, click Confirm Data Download. You will be redirected to the Ancestry.com website.
14. Enter your username or email and password in the appropriate fields, and click Sign In. The Download DNA Raw Data page is displayed.
15. Click Download DNA Raw Data to download your raw data file. Note where you save the file on your computer

Quote:
My Heritage - Go to your profile, At the top it says home, family tree, discoveries, DNA, photos, research; mouse over family tree you'll see import GEDcom and manage trees, click manage trees, on the far right under actions you'll see export to GEDcom. My Heritage is limited with free family tree accounts. I have 203 people in my tree, it's telling me I have reached the maximum and will have to pay to add more people.

Now to the DNA

My Heritage DNA is normally $79 but it goes on sale for $49. Note, you can upload your DNA from another company for free family matching, exporting DNA matches, contacting matches and shared surnames of matches. For a fee of $29, you can unlock other features like ethnicity, family trees of matches, chromosome browser, shared DNA matches, shared ethnicities, shared ancestral places. They also offer theory of family relativity that tells how you match some people. There is also a AutoClusters for DNA Matches which is a pay feature.

MyHeritage subscribers who already have a Premium, PremiumPlus or Complete Subscription do NOT have to pay anything to unlock the extra features for uploaded DNA kits. They can upload as many kits as they want and enjoy all the premium features for all uploads.

Join My Heritage, upload your family tree GEDcom file. To upload your DNA from another company, go to your profile, you will see the DNA tab where you can upload your raw data. They're saying they will eventually be charging to upload raw data. To upload DNA to another person in your tree, find them on the tree then click their name, it will open a box on the left that has the link to upload.

My Heritage has a lot of neat features they recently added. I'll post a link to their newest blog about it
Introducing the New DNA Match Review Page

My Heritage has also gotten into health testing for $199‎. I've seen it on sale for as low as $99. I have not done it so can not offer experience. When you click the health testing link you can read what they test for. Here is a blog post I found Navigating Your MyHeritage DNA Health Reports

If you're going to upload to My Heritage but you don't recognize any of your matches, consider messaging your Ancestry DNA matches to ask them to upload for free too. I have 2 cousins that helped me out, It's really helped me see how many are related thru my maternal grandmother. I'm able to click a common match and follow them to see if one of my cousins comes up. They offer so much more to find matches then Ancestry.
From the my heritage users FB group showing they do not give premium DNA tools when you purchase their test, uploading and paying $29 is cheaper. You'll have to buy an expensive subscription plan to get it.

With a MyHeritage DNA Test you will receive the Ethnicity Estimate, DNA Matches, you can contact the DNA Managers via the DNA Matches, export the DNA Match list, use the Shared Ancestral surnames feature and use the chromosome browser. If you want to use all the power features of MyHeritage, including the additional advanced DNA features, a Complete Plan is a good choice. You can try the current 14-day free trial of the Complete Plan. And if you do not cancel it before the expiry date, you will receive a 50% discount.

If you do wish to cancel the free trial within the 14 days, you should log into your website, click on your name in the right upper corner > Site Settings > My purchases.
My Heritage Education - Another exciting announcement at MyHeritage LIVE was the launch of our new knowledge base, MyHeritage Education. This online hub is filled with resources to enhance your understanding of the MyHeritage platform and help you make the most of your family history research. The free site contains how-to videos, webinars, articles, and downloadable resources. The site is now available in 10 languages and new content is being added on a weekly basis. Read more about the knowledge base in this blog post.

My Heritage Blog where they tell you the latest features, sales and stories about people meeting family with DNA matches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 10:39 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
I had already uploaded my Ancestry.com DNA results to MyHeritage.com several months ago. I however tried to view/unlock the advanced DNA features today (3-1-2021) per the above email and I am not yet seeing the additional features nor am I being allowed to unlock them at no fee.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I had already uploaded my Ancestry.com DNA results to MyHeritage.com several months ago. I however tried to view/unlock the advanced DNA features today (3-1-2021) per the above email and I am not yet seeing the additional features nor am I being allowed to unlock them at no fee.
How long have you been there and how established are you with matches? What I mean is do you have notes on people?

You may want to consider deleting and reuploading or contacting my heritage because according to what they said, everyone's should be unlocked.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
How long have you been there and how established are you with matches? What I mean is do you have notes on people?

You may want to consider deleting and reuploading or contacting my heritage because according to what they said, everyone's should be unlocked.

I created my account back on August 6 2020 and uploaded my DNA results on Sep 20 2020. I have since created a family tree that has 246 members which is near the free limit capacity. I however cannot unlock any of the advanced DNA features having tried yesterday and today during the promo period. I keep getting directed to a CC payment screen. I tried calling their customer service number but upon entering my account number as instructed, was told via an automated message that support was provided ONLY to paying members.

Last edited by MMS02760; 03-02-2021 at 09:08 AM..

Old 03-02-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatecake1977 View Post
If something is free, then you are the product.... No thanks, I'm good.

I think the gimmick for MyHeritage.com is to expand their database so they can market to more people at cost in the future. I believe that is why they allow DNA results from other services to be uploaded free of charge. Its drawback right now is that it has far fewer DNA test members than other services such as Ancestry.com. This particularly true in the USA where it is not as popular as elsewhere. They are therefore now trying to drive up membership to make it more attractive to future paying customers.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I created my account back on August 6 2020 and uploaded my DNA results on Sep 20 2020. I have since created a family tree that has 246 members which is near the free limit capacity. I however cannot unlock any of the advanced DNA features having tried yesterday and today during the promo period. I keep getting directed to a CC payment screen. I tried calling their customer service number but upon entering my account number as instructed, was told via an automated message that support was provided ONLY to paying members.
Best suggestion I have is to delete your current DNA sample, then reupload it which will unlock the free tools or you can ask on the My Heritage Facebook group. It is not run by My Heritage but there are employees there that may be able to help you. It's worth a try if you have Facebook

Quote:
I think the gimmick for MyHeritage.com is to expand their database so they can market to more people at cost in the future. I believe that is why they allow DNA results from other services to be uploaded free of charge. Its drawback right now is that it has far fewer DNA test members than other services such as Ancestry.com. This particularly true in the USA where it is not as popular as elsewhere. They are therefore now trying to drive up membership to make it more attractive to future paying customers.

They're still fairly new to the DNA field. I believe it's been 4 years this spring that they started. I was in the 1st round of testers, they used my DNA for their founders project because they saw my family came from Hungary, they sent me a free test. They're not doing too bad with how large their database is and you're right, a lot of it is because they do offer the free upload. They want our DNA for their database, as chocolatecake said, we're the product.

While their database isn't as large as 23 and me or ancestry, they have the largest world-wide DNA database. Many people in Europe buy their test because it's the cheapest. Apparently ancestry doesn't have sales in Europe like they do in the US according to one of my DNA cousins that lives in Hungary. Their best feature is their European and world-wide database for me any way. I also love those premium tools. They have the best and most advanced DNA site out of anyone. The only thing they're lacking is a color coded system like ancestry has.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:18 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
I still have not submitted a DNA sample to MyHeritage. The kit I purchased from MH is still sitting on my shelf. The question now is whether I should upload my raw data from FTDNA, Ancestry or 23andMe and save the MH kit for a relative. I also have raw data from my deceased father. In addition, I have not yet uploaded a tree nor do I intend to include my paternal line in my tree at this time.

What would you do? Try to save the kit for another relative?

Old 03-04-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I still have not submitted a DNA sample to MyHeritage. The kit I purchased from MH is still sitting on my shelf. The question now is whether I should upload my raw data from FTDNA, Ancestry or 23andMe and save the MH kit for a relative. I also have raw data from my deceased father. In addition, I have not yet uploaded a tree nor do I intend to include my paternal line in my tree at this time.

What would you do? Try to save the kit for another relative?
Yes, I'd save the kit for a relative and upload one of your samples there. It really makes no sense in paying for something you can get free. When you buy a test, they do not include the advanced tools that we uploaders pay $29 for. You would have to purchase a $100 subscription plan to get the tools which makes no sense to me why they'd give uploaders the $29 option but not people who buy the test. It should be included in the purchase price.

When you upload to My Heritage, make a quick tree or upload a GEDCOM file, then upload your DNA and your fathers too. Its very easy to do your fathers, you click him on your family tree, his card will open on the left, you'll see their name, DOB/DOD then Research this person, Order DNA test, Upload DNA data. Click upload, it opens in a new page, accept their terms, then upload. It takes a day or 2.

I'd work on it today if you have time so that will give you a few days if you run into issues.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:00 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Link to My Heritage's blog post about uploading your DNA for free and having the advanced tools for free which normally runs $29.

Offer Extended: Upload Your DNA for Free Access to All DNA Features

Directions to save your family tree, download RAW DNA data and upload to My Heritage
Thank you so much for sharing this! I'm uploading right now as I write this. I love having all the tools possible to indulge my DNA & Genealogy hobby.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:52 AM

The advanced DNA features continued not to be unlocked nor could I find a way to unlock them without paying the $29 fee. I was therefore forced to re-upload my DNA results. I however first had to delete the previously uploaded DNA test results tied to my account before being allowed to upload again. I now have to wait several days for these DNA results to be processed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy