U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 08:46 PM

9,658 posts, read 15,149,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
My 23&Me reports keep changing. I feel the only accurate reading was the reading of who I know I am biologically. Two people were adopted in my family and the way it changes so wildly doesn't make sense.

I looked at an article about DNA tests and they named the best as CRI Genetics. https://geneticsdigest.com/best_ance...AaAn3hEALw_wcB
That site is actually owned by CRI Genetics. It's a shill site. The terms and conditions on GeneticsDigest.com used to link straight to CRI Genetics - they've removed it now, but it's still a shill site.

ALL DNA ethnicity reports are merely interpretations of your DNA, which means there can be different interpretations and every company periodically updates or changes those interpretations. If you're looking for something more accurate or reliable than that, it doesn't exist. DNA ethnicity is not an exact science.

Quote:
I'm going to get an Ancestry kit too. Mom used Ancestry for her DNA and I want to be connected to her, so I can compare. Dad's still not interested in doing it. However, I think if I can see mom's DNA, I can see what I got from dad that way.
The ethnicity report doesn't work that way - it's not reliable enough.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 06:48 AM

7,469 posts, read 4,646,523 times
Quote:
My 23&Me reports keep changing. I feel the only accurate reading was the reading of who I know I am biologically. Two people were adopted in my family and the way it changes so wildly doesn't make sense.
Like others have mentioned, what you're looking for doesn't exist, with all of these DNA companies, Ancestry, 23andMe, My Heritage, FTDNA, etc. they use their own propriety algorithm and reference panel when coming up with your ethnicity estimates and are regularly "tweaking" it every year or every couple years, where your ethnicity estimates will probably change, like you have been seeing.

I got into genealogy back in October 2018 when I did the Ancestry kit. While the ethnicity estimate is somewhat cool, I mainly did Ancestry to help build me family tree from scratch and find other possible distant relatives that might have some info on my distant ancestors. I think of the ethnicity estimates from these companies as a possible interesting topic of discussion during the holidays or a family get together, and that's about it.

If you know your family tree, you know where you came from. Sometimes the ethnicity estimates are spot on, sometimes they are not, but that doesn't change who you are and where you came from, if that makes any sense.

Since I started with Ancestry back in 2018, they have come out with 2 updates, one in 2019 and one in 2020, and my estimates have changed each time. I posted the breakdown of the changes, over the last 3 years, in a previous thread awhile back. In my initial estimate in 2018, I had no Germanic Europe % at all, then with the 2020 update, I now have 7%.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:50 AM

2,996 posts, read 1,157,547 times
For the purpose of finding out who you 'really' are family research and matching is more useful than the ethnicity part of DNA testing.

The ethnicity results are kind of a sideshow and unless you're talking about something like an unexplained 40% African origin then it's unlikely to give you much information of practical use. These tests can't for the most part reliably tell apart closely related ethnic groups.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:21 PM

12,762 posts, read 10,404,737 times
Quote:
Yikes! I will definitely order from Ancestry. Mom was satisfied.

I just really want to know who I am.
You are you. That's who you are. Having nationality/ethnicity info is nice but you will still be the same person.

Old Today, 08:27 AM

4,967 posts, read 3,599,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You are you. That's who you are. Having nationality/ethnicity info is nice but you will still be the same person.
Yeah and it has no bearing on what I want to do. Two people in my family were adopted by Italian families and while I don't identify as Italian, that's okay. I identify as myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy